Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2018 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 10:40 am

Thanks for Feedback, not sure how to confirm if I am on "Do not approve list". I checked with Chase and they say you are welcome to apply anytime, but for now we can't reopen this account because of secondary review and credit not worthy enough. Well lesson learned hard way.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
He can't win. It is very bad that he opened a business credit card and purchased gift cards with the very first purchase. I do not think he is banned, but there has to be a note on new account cool-downs. Not sure how long, at least two years IMO.
Yeah, he barely got his beak wet with chase!! Not sure about 2 years - you mean don't start MSing on a new card until after 2 years of ownership? I got my CIC in late August and only started MSing a couple months ago at low amounts (~$700-900 per month at OSS).

Originally Posted by Abflying
Thanks for Feedback, not sure how to confirm if I am on "Do not approve list". I checked with Chase and they say you are welcome to apply anytime, but for now we can't reopen this account because of secondary review and credit not worthy enough. Well lesson learned hard way.
They always encourage to apply - I've had CSRs welcome me to apply when I absolutely knew it was in violation of 5/24, 2/30, etc.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:01 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by gumercindo
They always encourage to apply - I've had CSRs welcome me to apply when I absolutely knew it was in violation of 5/24, 2/30, etc.
Yeah always part of the script, almost certainly a trap.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:14 pm

I was shutdown by Barclay 12/2017. I MS'd on the card quite a bit but never cycled limits. My statement for approx $9000 was due 12/14. On 12/6 i sent a payment from the wrong account and the payment bounced. On 12/9 i sent the payment (including their fee's for the bounced payment) and my card was paid in full before the statement was due. 12/14 they closed my account and i forfeited 180k points.

I called a dozen times and talked to managers and the managers managers. I filed a CFPB complaint and nothing. I have thought about filing suit in small claims court over the 180k points, but not sure how to even do that, or if its worth it. Anyone here have any success stories about this with barclay?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: Lots
180k is a ton. I usually buy refundable flight tickets around the time I hit between 25-50k and then cash it out immediately. I find the Cap1 Venture much better in this regard.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by devastitis
180k is a ton. I usually buy refundable flight tickets around the time I hit between 25-50k and then cash it out immediately. I find the Cap1 Venture much better in this regard.
whats your monthly MS volume on cap1?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:55 pm

I sometimes wonder if it's better to MS on a third party points (SPG/Hilton/AA) so that every month your points get deposited and even if you get shutdown your loss is minimal.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by rct12345
I sometimes wonder if it's better to MS on a third party points (SPG/Hilton/AA) so that every month your points get deposited and even if you get shutdown your loss is minimal.
Then what is the point of MS'ing?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by rct12345
Originally Posted by radonc1
Then what is the point of MS'ing?
The point would be to earn the third party points.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
The point would be to earn the third party points.
If you are so concerned about the amount of MSing that you are doing on a card to the point where you may be shut down, then you (not the card provider) should be proactive in draining that account of its rewards immediately after the points/cash is posted. They can't claw back what isn't there.

The problem isn't the MSing (since everyone is at risk for a shutdown), rather the problem is leaving the rewards where they can be confiscated
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:19 pm

Citi CCs shutdown report from Free-quent flyer

I just read this report from the blogger regarding his Citi CCs shutdown due possibly from WMBP. Note that he started doing WMBP in March and got shutdown in June. Initially, he got an odd phone call regarding paying his CC bills with MOs and he quit doing that although he was expecting to be shutdown then; he didn't get the boot so he started to do WMBP in March to his CitiDC, total of FOUR(!) payments and all his Citi accounts were closed as of June 7. Feel free to ignore this DP if you've been paying in-branch with MOs and/or WMBP in a long time with no adverse action from Citi. It's been said when MSing, everything works well until one day, it doesn't.

Read his full article here .
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
It's been said when MSing, everything works well until one day, it doesn't.
Wmbp has been known for a long time to be shutdown risk. I've never dabbled in it for precisely that reason.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by wyogold
Wmbp has been known for a long time to be shutdown risk. I've never dabbled in it for precisely that reason.
Agreed. Some like playing with low yield fire.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:03 pm

Agreed, best to stay away from billpay. Save yourself from the discomfort of having to shove thousands in your wallet after getting refunded for a failed BP at Wally hoping no one notices while you hustle out the store. BTW MG keeps the $4.99 fee since "they did they're part," when it came time for a refund, yet previously stated they "didn't feel comfortable with the transaction," hence their decision to block the bill pay in the first place...bunch of crooks....
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Capital one

Originally Posted by wyogold
Cap1 is pretty much impossible to get for churners with a lot of new accounts..
I use my capital one venture as my go to card. Of course I ignore the ‘double miles’ spiel and just treat it as a straight 2% cash back card. However given that it has an annual fee (and there are free 2% cash back cards out there) are you only looking at signup bonuses?

Last edited by freakflyer; Jun 24, 2018 at 10:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.