Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2018 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
You went from a 100k/month to zero? Maybe they were looking at inactivity with the new card product?
pretty much. I stopped Msing on the card and was using only using the card for normal spend. I don't think I'll be able to speak with anyone to dispute the closing of the account. I may try calling on a weekday.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by briang191
pretty much. I stopped Msing on the card and was using only using the card for normal spend. I don't think I'll be able to speak with anyone to dispute the closing of the account. I may try calling on a weekday.
Could've been the cycling, too. Doing 3x+ your limit each month may have caught some eyes. Were all your Barclay cards shut down?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:29 pm

Could've been the cycling, too. Doing 3x+ your limit each month may have caught some eyes. Were all your Barclay cards shut down?
Arrival plus was my only card from Barclays.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:37 pm

Arrival plus was my only card from Barclays.
Sorry to hear that. Cap 1 is a good card, too. The nice thing about Cap 1 over A+ is that Cap 1 will let you repeat travel credits for the same purchase as many times as you like.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:41 pm

Sorry to hear that. Cap 1 is a good card, too. The nice thing about Cap 1 over A+ is that Cap 1 will let you repeat travel credits for the same purchase as many times as you like.
repeat you say 😀 Does cap 1 shutdown MSers quickly?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:44 pm

repeat you say 😀 Does cap 1 shutdown MSers quickly?
Not much in the shutdown thread, so I'm guessing no. Yes, you can repeat, essentially turning the Cap 1 into a cashback card if you just make a small travel purchase every three months.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:23 pm

This is a wake up call. Time to scale back msing on chase cards.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Milezjunkie
Just to quickly share my experience with a Chase shutdown. In Feb, my BOA checking account was fraudulently used to send a PayPal payment. So BOA froze my account and opened a new one. It just so happened that I had a payment scheduled for a Chase account and since that account was frozen the payment was returned. I thought no big deal and made the payment the following day from the new account. Fast forward to the next week and I was using my Freedom Apple Pay for the 1st quarter bonus. I successfully bought two VGCs and when I tried to buy my third in two days my card was declined. Thinking it was a fraud alert I called and was informed all my cards were frozen and my relationship was under review. Two days later Apple Pay pushed a message that my cards were not available. I called CS and was finally transferred to Chase Fraud Services or something like that. The woman there was friendly and asked about the returned payment and GCM purchases on my BA card. She didn't seem too concerned and said NOT to shred my cards as she submitted a request to reopen my accounts. Three days later I got a call from an extremely rude and arrogant Chase representative that said ALL my cards are closed and there was no option for reconsideration and that was the final decision. He admitted that the returned payment was an initial flag and then making VGC purchases caused a manual review (which obviously puts human eyes on the accounts). I had been a Chase customer for over 12 years, had nearly all everyday spend on Chase cards and nothing crazy with MS. I would max the Freedom on half the quarters. I did MS $20K on my BA card spread over a year. I did MS on my Ink cards but pretty far below the max. They claimed it was the number of recent accounts (ok, I was doing 12 new CC accounts the past two years each). They didn't care my FICO is over 800, never a late payment, never a missed payment, debt free aside from a mortgage. The rep was downright rude. I guess he figures I am no longer a Chase customer because of his decision so who is going to listen to my complaint. So thanks to some criminal using my BOA account I lost all my Chase accounts. They did give me 30 days to use my UR points.
sorry to hear you loss.
how would chase knew your VGC purchase? They do not get L3 information unlike AmEx?
was it based on amount?
Once the compliance department make the decision to close accounts. Nothing can be done by anybody. Not even executive office.
check if you can get grace period to use your rewards / cash-back / points.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Barclay card arrival plus shutdown this week. No WMBP 30k limit. 100k per month ms with some regular spend. I stopped using the card for about 3 months. I might have to open a cap 1 card.
Cap1 will also shut you down if you MS $100k/month on their cards
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Cap1 will also shut you down if you MS $100k/month on their cards
I would scale back. Staying under CL each month.
ChrisFlyer66 and pharmawalk like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Tbh, I just don't understand the churn and burn mentality so many have on this forum. It affects everyone and decreases the longevity of this adventure.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Several dozen
The tragedy of the town common is an old story that has long played in the MS theater. For every slow moving gekko who uses camouflage and ambushes his prey, you have a flamboyant Gordon Gekko who thinks greed is right, greed works.

As reptile keepers and breeders have noted "Your typical pet RAT, provided it is fully grown, can kill any lizard up to its own size, if it wants to." In a world infested with RATs, it is far safer to be a camouflaged gekko than a flamboyant Gordon Gekko who becomes RAT chow.

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Tbh, I just don't understand the churn and burn mentality so many have on this forum. It affects everyone and decreases the longevity of this adventure.
84fiero, MaxVO and pharmawalk like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:49 am

I understand it. I think the funnest thing about this game is coming up with somenthing new. I might go slow and easy on something I do not see anyone else doing it. Once I see it posted on a major site (here) or blog, I also push to the limit.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
My understanding of 'churn and burn' was to churn credit cards and burn the points (for cash or trips).
I don't think the vast majority of people think of that as churn and burn entire banking relationships altogether.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Milezjunkie
Just to quickly share my experience with a Chase shutdown. In Feb, my BOA checking account was fraudulently used to send a PayPal payment. So BOA froze my account and opened a new one. It just so happened that I had a payment scheduled for a Chase account and since that account was frozen the payment was returned. I thought no big deal and made the payment the following day from the new account. Fast forward to the next week and I was using my Freedom Apple Pay for the 1st quarter bonus. I successfully bought two VGCs and when I tried to buy my third in two days my card was declined. Thinking it was a fraud alert I called and was informed all my cards were frozen and my relationship was under review. Two days later Apple Pay pushed a message that my cards were not available. I called CS and was finally transferred to Chase Fraud Services or something like that. The woman there was friendly and asked about the returned payment and GCM purchases on my BA card. She didn't seem too concerned and said NOT to shred my cards as she submitted a request to reopen my accounts. Three days later I got a call from an extremely rude and arrogant Chase representative that said ALL my cards are closed and there was no option for reconsideration and that was the final decision. He admitted that the returned payment was an initial flag and then making VGC purchases caused a manual review (which obviously puts human eyes on the accounts). I had been a Chase customer for over 12 years, had nearly all everyday spend on Chase cards and nothing crazy with MS. I would max the Freedom on half the quarters. I did MS $20K on my BA card spread over a year. I did MS on my Ink cards but pretty far below the max. They claimed it was the number of recent accounts (ok, I was doing 12 new CC accounts the past two years each). They didn't care my FICO is over 800, never a late payment, never a missed payment, debt free aside from a mortgage. The rep was downright rude. I guess he figures I am no longer a Chase customer because of his decision so who is going to listen to my complaint. So thanks to some criminal using my BOA account I lost all my Chase accounts. They did give me 30 days to use my UR points.
My story is similar but without the returned payment or any MS to speak of. I had never used Apply Pay and thought I would try it and get a $500 Amazon card at Whole Foods. I generally don't MS and I might have maxed out my Freedom Bonus once in 10+ years having the card. The usage triggered a fraud alert and suddenly my account was under review. They closed down the Freedom and CSR that I actually left open after the first year. My FICO is also over 800. The bureau gave them too many credit cards (I have 10 open with the newest the CSR that was 1.5 years old) and sudden increase in revolving balance (I owed $2k across all accounts which is about average for my monthly spending). I have 30 days to do something with my UR points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.