Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2018 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
What if u paid directly at the bank with MO?
Many would want to laugh.

Its not not normal routine behavior.

You asking shows you know.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
#2 doesn't make sense. Balance is not always vary by 10% so payment amount will not necessarily be 10% different
right but it isn’t if ONE of those criteria is met, it is if BOTH are met. So yes your spending may vary by more than 10%, but if your spending starts to vary significantly AND you are all of a sudden paying with multiple new accounts then that should be a red flag for them.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:27 pm

Should I be Worried?

Currently 3/6, 3/12, 3/24 - SW Pers and Bus 10/17 and CSR 11/17. Any need to worry about shut down if applying for CIP in the next couple of months? No MS, etc. on cards. I appreciate any input.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
Many would want to laugh.

Its not not normal routine behavior.

You asking shows you know.
I have paid my BBVA card with MOs at the branch several times, especially when it was in a 5% window. No one laughed.

You answering shows you know... something you probably didn't intend to reveal. People should just chill out, answer what you know about.

Last edited by dethkultur; Mar 23, 2018 at 9:28 am Reason: word
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:38 pm

Just to quickly share my experience with a Chase shutdown. In Feb, my BOA checking account was fraudulently used to send a PayPal payment. So BOA froze my account and opened a new one. It just so happened that I had a payment scheduled for a Chase account and since that account was frozen the payment was returned. I thought no big deal and made the payment the following day from the new account. Fast forward to the next week and I was using my Freedom Apple Pay for the 1st quarter bonus. I successfully bought two VGCs and when I tried to buy my third in two days my card was declined. Thinking it was a fraud alert I called and was informed all my cards were frozen and my relationship was under review. Two days later Apple Pay pushed a message that my cards were not available. I called CS and was finally transferred to Chase Fraud Services or something like that. The woman there was friendly and asked about the returned payment and GCM purchases on my BA card. She didn't seem too concerned and said NOT to shred my cards as she submitted a request to reopen my accounts. Three days later I got a call from an extremely rude and arrogant Chase representative that said ALL my cards are closed and there was no option for reconsideration and that was the final decision. He admitted that the returned payment was an initial flag and then making VGC purchases caused a manual review (which obviously puts human eyes on the accounts). I had been a Chase customer for over 12 years, had nearly all everyday spend on Chase cards and nothing crazy with MS. I would max the Freedom on half the quarters. I did MS $20K on my BA card spread over a year. I did MS on my Ink cards but pretty far below the max. They claimed it was the number of recent accounts (ok, I was doing 12 new CC accounts the past two years each). They didn't care my FICO is over 800, never a late payment, never a missed payment, debt free aside from a mortgage. The rep was downright rude. I guess he figures I am no longer a Chase customer because of his decision so who is going to listen to my complaint. So thanks to some criminal using my BOA account I lost all my Chase accounts. They did give me 30 days to use my UR points.
prech likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:37 am

I have a charge on my Arrival that I could dispute, but I don't want eyes on my account because of MS activity so I guess I will just loose $173. We went to the Hyatt ZIva in Cabo and didn't charge anything, but ended up with this charge and it is not from the Hyatt. Would you dispute it?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Milezjunkie
I had a payment scheduled for a Chase account and since that account was frozen the payment was returned..
Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your Chase accounts. 12 years is a long time and it's a shame that Chase would not reconsider. I think returned payments are the single largest triggers for shut downs.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Travelz
I have a charge on my Arrival that I could dispute, but I don't want eyes on my account because of MS activity so I guess I will just loose $173. We went to the Hyatt ZIva in Cabo and didn't charge anything, but ended up with this charge and it is not from the Hyatt. Would you dispute it?
"The Eyes" who take dispute info at Barclays are not connected to a working brain. You should be more concerned about the bank's algo's.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:38 am
Suspended

I wont say how much I do a year MSing, but I will say Ive never even once ordered from the likes of GCM, where its plain as day what the heck the person is getting. Yes Ive done SM and was questioned once and told them why there was a charge from that vendor, of cause I didnt say GCs, and it went thru and a note was put on my acct that from time to time at various SMs there will be charges incoming and its OK.

The only other place I get questioned is when buying GCs at my local convience store that shows up as a gas station after all who buys $500+ of gas at a time, but with proper thought that too can be explained away

Yes its less time consuming and to an extent easier dealing with the likes of a GCM but I never wanted to out myself that badly
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by craz
I wont say how much I do a year MSing, but I will say Ive never even once ordered from the likes of GCM, where its plain as day what the heck the person is getting. Yes Ive done SM and was questioned once and told them why there was a charge from that vendor, of cause I didnt say GCs, and it went thru and a note was put on my acct that from time to time at various SMs there will be charges incoming and its OK.

The only other place I get questioned is when buying GCs at my local convience store that shows up as a gas station after all who buys $500+ of gas at a time, but with proper thought that too can be explained away

Yes its less time consuming and to an extent easier dealing with the likes of a GCM but I never wanted to out myself that badly
You can buy cartons of cigarettes at a gas station and that can quickly add up to $100’s.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by craz

People who fill up the tank on their boat.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by vbnet
People who fill up the tank on their boat.
Ten times in a row? Several times a month? In the winter?

We MSers can pretend all we want but it's really pretty obvious that our spending is abnormal
vbnet likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by wyogold
Ten times in a row? Several times a month? In the winter?

We MSers can pretend all we want but it's really pretty obvious that our spending is abnormal
I can explain several times a month in the winter. But 10 times in a row is harder to explain:-)
vbnet likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Some Motor homes have 200 gallon tanks, if anyone asks.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by mhdena
Some Motor homes have 200 gallon tanks, if anyone asks.
I don't think that is factual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.