PSA: Count your cards

Old Nov 16, 17, 9:59 am
Original Poster

PSA: Count your cards

This might be just my own personal failing, but --
Over time, I've maybe become a little cavalier when it comes to purchasing GCs, esp. at outlets that have been friendly, trustworthy, etc. Cavalier in the sense of not scrutinizing the receipt before leaving, making sure that I haven't been shorted, etc.
Today, I think I was deliberately shorted a card by the cashier (purchased 12 x $500). It was someone that I had not previously dealt with, and she had a terrible attitude from the get-go, despite my efforts to be friendly. Anyway, transaction complete and I'm walking away, something tells me to review card count & receipt. Sure enough, I only have 11 cards but 12 show activated on receipt. I go back in. Denial first, but then somehow the card appeared. "I would have found it and called you." Right.
Anyway, just a word of caution, and also receptive to others' best practices in this area.
notalent and Gonzoid like this.
Old Nov 16, 17, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Interesting, and a good idea for anyone buying several GCs at a time.
Old Nov 16, 17, 3:52 pm

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
holy crap that's a lot of gift cards.
Old Nov 16, 17, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by ramonortiz55 View Post
holy crap that's a lot of gift cards.

There are many here who buy 19 at a time. Between my wife and I, we've bought 38 between us several times. While $6k of GCs isn't small change, it's moderate around here.

And I always count them before I leave and I watch them as they activate them to make sure they don't switch anything up. Not that I've ever had an issue at my regular places.
Old Nov 16, 17, 8:23 pm

It is also important to watch carefully to avoid a switcheroo where they keep your activated card and substitute an unactivated card, at any store or management office where cards are kept behind the desk (or where surplus cards are available there). This is not as much of a concern at grocery and other stores where the cards are in a public area and the Customer Service desk cashier would have no available cards to do the switcheroo with, unless you are a regular and he/she plans ahead.
tuphat likes this.
Old Nov 18, 17, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by dealhunter32 View Post
It is also important to watch carefully to avoid a switcheroo where they keep your activated card and substitute an unactivated card, at any store or management office where cards are kept behind the desk (or where surplus cards are available there). This is not as much of a concern at grocery and other stores where the cards are in a public area and the Customer Service desk cashier would have no available cards to do the switcheroo with, unless you are a regular and he/she plans ahead.
As a rule, I always match the cards with the receipt IN THE STORE. This way, if there's any switch, the store cameras will be able to support my claim

Search this Thread
Search Engine: