FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Buying Discounted GCs at Sam's Club Online (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1872970-buying-discounted-gcs-sams-club-online.html)

stevenhkapt Oct 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Buying Discounted GCs at Sam's Club Online

Hello,

I am currently living outside the US and am always on the hunt for MS opps I can do from abroad. Typically what I do is buy discounted gift cards online (not VGCs but rather retailer or online merchant ones) and then resell them at break-even or a small profit.

I feel like last year I remember people saying that they could buy discounted retailer gift cards (I dunno - Macy's, Apple, Amazon, or any brand, etc.) on Sam's Club's website so I got in on a Groupon deal to be a member.

Did I waste $30 on a membership deal or does anyone have experience buying discounted gift cards from Sam's online? I cannot go into a retail location of Sam's since I'm abroad so I must be able to buy them online.

Thank you!

Jaimito Cartero Oct 19, 2017 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by stevenhkapt (Post 28953949)
Hello,

I am currently living outside the US and am always on the hunt for MS opps I can do from abroad. Typically what I do is buy discounted gift cards online (not VGCs but rather retailer or online merchant ones) and then resell them at break-even or a small profit.

I feel like last year I remember people saying that they could buy discounted retailer gift cards (I dunno - Macy's, Apple, Amazon, or any brand, etc.) on Sam's Club's website so I got in on a Groupon deal to be a member.

Did I waste $30 on a membership deal or does anyone have experience buying discounted gift cards from Sam's online? I cannot go into a retail location of Sam's since I'm abroad so I must be able to buy them online.

Thank you!

Many US merchants may block certain countries from purchasing items. I know Costco blocks the country I spend a lot of time in.

Don’t you have to go in person to activate the Sam’s membership? I know I did when I purchased it. If they are sending physical gift cards, they may also not ship outside the US.

stevenhkapt Oct 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 28954050)
Many US merchants may block certain countries from purchasing items. I know Costco blocks the country I spend a lot of time in.

Don’t you have to go in person to activate the Sam’s membership? I know I did when I purchased it. If they are sending physical gift cards, they may also not ship outside the US.

Thank you for this insight! I use a VPN to get around website blocking but the fact that I may have to go in, in person to get my membership could be a problem.

Do you know of anyone buying GCs online from Sam's Club though? I might be able to have a family member back home go in and activate a membership for me with the Groupon, I just need to see if this is an outlet I can pursue for MS with GC reselling.

tuphat Oct 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 28954037)
Perhaps you’re just not doing it right.

I know people who make $3k per day on MS.

Using the most favorable CB percentages, and ignoring liquidation and all other costs, that translates to about 200 GCs per day, day in and day out. That's a lot of cards ...

kcblakely Oct 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by stevenhkapt (Post 28953949)
Hello,

Thank you!

You totally wasted $30.

tsmith12 Oct 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by stevenhkapt (Post 28954054)
Thank you for this insight! I use a VPN to get around website blocking but the fact that I may have to go in, in person to get my membership could be a problem.

Do you know of anyone buying GCs online from Sam's Club though? I might be able to have a family member back home go in and activate a membership for me with the Groupon, I just need to see if this is an outlet I can pursue for MS with GC reselling.

You can activate the Groupon membership online. You will get your membership number online and you can purchase stuff thereafter on their site. To get a physical card you'll have to go in person to the store.

stevenhkapt Oct 21, 2017 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12 (Post 28958298)
You can activate the Groupon membership online. You will get your membership number online and you can purchase stuff thereafter on their site. To get a physical card you'll have to go in person to the store.

Awesome, thank you for this encouraging data point.

cbn42 Oct 26, 2017 12:31 am

In my experience, the discounts on gift cards are not very substantial. Maybe 5-10% or something. Those cards, if sold online, will net you 70-80% of face value. I doubt you will be able to make this work.