Paying Chase CC in branch w/ cash

Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Pay chase credit card with cash?

Hello,
I have recently made few big transaction with my chase CC (~$7,000) and i have cash on my hand that i want to use for this bill. Would that be raised as a red flag in any way?

I did something similar 3-4 years back and i paid $10,000 towards a CC via cash, they asked for my SSN and few other details like where i worked and such. I was told that is the case since the amount is more than 10k and they have to file anything that is more than that.

With ~7k should this be a concern or issue?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:28 pm
soy

Programs: various
Cash freaks Chase out. Have your story straight on where you got the cash, deposit with a teller and don't make a habit of it
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA gold
Go get a burner checking and ACH to chase. Easy.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by poisonsag
Hello,
I was told that is the case since the amount is more than 10k
Thanks!!
Nothing wrong here. 10k is monetary threshold for filing a CTR.
crabbing likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ezakipocky
Go get a burner checking and ACH to chase. Easy.
Can you please elaborate? I am not sure what you mean there.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by poisonsag
Hello,
I have recently made few big transaction with my chase CC (~$7,000) and i have cash on my hand that i want to use for this bill. Would that be raised as a red flag in any way?

I did something similar 3-4 years back and i paid $10,000 towards a CC via cash,

With ~7k should this be a concern or issue?

Thanks!!
Are you saying you have credit cards you can charge 7-10K on but DON'T have a bank account?

If you have a bank account, simply deposit the 7K to that account, and then pay the Chase CC from that account.

If this makes you nervous for some reason you need to ask yourself, (and answer to yourself 3 questions).

#1 : What are you trying to hide?

#2 : Who are you trying to hide it from?

#3 : "WHY" are you trying to hide it?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:26 am

I think you'd be better off buying a cashier's check or money order at your regular bank, payable to Chase and paying the balance that way. No red flags for Chase.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by tuphat
I think you'd be better off buying a cashier's check or money order at your regular bank, payable to Chase and paying the balance that way. No red flags for Chase.
Banks consider cashiers checks to be the equivalent of cash so spending money to buy one will be no different than using cash in Chase's eyes.

You would be better off to deposit the money into a checking account and simply write a check to Chase.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:14 am

Paying Chase CC in branch w/ cash

Hello,

I have a chase British airways card and made a $15k organic purchase to start working towards the 30k companion pass min. Spend.

Is there any issues with going into a chase branch with cash to pay off this balance in partial payments or full? I do not have a chase checking account, but have other accounts linked to my chase cc.

​​​​​​The other option would be to deposit the cash into my bank accounts and pay the bill online, but I don't want the cash deposits into my bank accounts to be appear as income (as they are not)
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by silver02accord
Hello,

1) Is there any issues with going into a chase branch with cash ?

​​​​2) I don't want the cash deposits into my bank accounts to be appear as income
#1 ) If you're MSing at all I wouldn't do #1 .

#2 ) This is by far the better option, make two deposits.

I have $10k to $20k cash to deposit every December not from MS. Never had a problem depositing to Chase, but out of caution I stopped depositing to Chase a few years ago when I acquired their best cards.

IMO coming to pay the CC with cash looks even more suspicious.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
make two deposits.
And what exactly is your reason for this advice?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:04 am

Hello,

I have a chase British airways card and made a $15k organic purchase to start working towards the 30k companion pass min. Spend.

Is there any issues with going into a chase branch with cash to pay off this balance in partial payments or full? I do not have a chase checking account, but have other accounts linked to my chase cc.

​​​​​​The other option would be to deposit the cash into my bank accounts and pay the bill online, but I don't want the cash deposits into my bank accounts to be appear as income (as they are not)
You have $15k in cash not in bank?

If its already in bank, why don't you just do online bill pay, unless I'm missing something?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by lumangoy
You have $15k in cash not in bank?

If its already in bank, why don't you just do online bill pay, unless I'm missing something?
Money is not in bank but in cash with OP..
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:23 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Discussed in September:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...card-cash.html
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:12 pm

I use money orders to pay my Chase CC in branch all the time. Never any questions. I realize this is not cash but its basically like cash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.