Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the lowest return you would MS on

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Just curious if you really take a pic of every VGC?
Why, yes, I do. Fujitsu ScanSnap FTW!

I've owned plenty of scanners over the years and the interface on the ScanSnap is one of the few which makes it useful. Drop the cards in, press the button the front of the scanner, and that's it. No messing around with the keyboard/mouse. I can even stack cards in there and it'll automatically sort them out.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA MM Gold, SPG & Marriott Plat
For me, ~3% unless bumping up to a redeem threshold. I typically do quick evals figuring MR/UR/Flex/Bar pts at 0.01 each, Non-SPG hotel at 0.005, SPG at 0.015, gas&cash rewards at par. Is very situational though. Example:

Normal:
1) Bar Arriv is 2% on all so 500 spent is 10 + 6.25 (gas rew) - fees = ~10
2) IHG is 2x for grocery so 500 spent is 5 + 6.25 - fees = ~5

17Q4 - Till 12/31 linked MC for gas is 0.15/gal/100 spend:
1) Bar Arriv is 10 + 6.25 (gas rew) + 15 (gas promo) - fees = ~25
2) IHG is 5 + 6.25 +15 - fees = ~20

Normally these two are sock drawer, but till EOY are in the rotation.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by LTimeL
For me, ~3% unless bumping up to a redeem threshold. I typically do quick evals figuring MR/UR/Flex/Bar pts at 0.01 each, Non-SPG hotel at 0.005, SPG at 0.015, gas&cash rewards at par. Is very situational though. Example:

Normal:
1) Bar Arriv is 2% on all so 500 spent is 10 + 6.25 (gas rew) - fees = ~10
2) IHG is 2x for grocery so 500 spent is 5 + 6.25 - fees = ~5

17Q4 - Till 12/31 linked MC for gas is 0.15/gal/100 spend:
1) Bar Arriv is 10 + 6.25 (gas rew) + 15 (gas promo) - fees = ~25
2) IHG is 5 + 6.25 +15 - fees = ~20

Normally these two are sock drawer, but till EOY are in the rotation.

A+ is really a 2.11% card with the redemption bonus, and that 0.11% adds up on a a couple hundred K a month.

IHG points are worth 0.5-0.7 cents each, best case. You're MSing with a 1.0 - 1.4% card effectively,.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I agree.

I take a pic of all receipts and balance it out in Quicken. This way I know I've drained the VGC and where I put the funds in.
No matter what, if you are dealing with lots of GCs I have found you tend to lax after a while. Unless the record keeping and tracking is easy, it will slip through the crack. It is like following a strict diet and exercise plan.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
No matter what, if you are dealing with lots of GCs I have found you tend to lax after a while. Unless the record keeping and tracking is easy, it will slip through the crack. It is like following a strict diet and exercise plan.
I see your point on why you're hesitant to do volume MS. It is not for everyone especially for those who are well aware of their fears of AA/SAR/PI visits/etc; on the other side, there are those who are good with record keeping and found ways to minimize, if not totally avoid, known issues. They may encounter some issues, but nothing they can't solve to make them give up easily. As long as you know what you're doing is legal, just keep on truckin.

People ought to stick to what they're comfortable with instead of looking at what others do or compete with them; meet your own goals, put on horse blinders and take full responsibility for your success and failures.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
... on a a couple hundred K a month.
Respectfully submitted: There's no way to do that kind of volume without some level of mis-representation, e.g., use of multiple identities.

It's the kind of practice that will eventually end this for everyone.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by tuphat
Respectfully submitted: There's no way to do that kind of volume without some level of mis-representation, e.g., use of multiple identities.

Really? You haven't been reading the WF 5% thread back in it's heyday.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:36 am

I beg to disagree.

ANY kind of MS activity can/will end, it's just a matter of time. When one gig closes, several opportunities open. I'm not surprised why others jump on opportunities knowing the uncertainties of MS so they make hay while the sun shines; they take advantage of loopholes their friends pass on to them or they find it on their own. Those who know how to network with the DIY MSers get to pick the low hanging fruits. It's just the nature of the game, the go-getters reach their goals while those who just wait to be spoonfed resort to ranting when deals pass by and no one ELI5.
makelab likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I beg to disagree.

ANY kind of MS activity can/will end, it's just a matter of time. When one gig closes, several opportunities open. I'm not surprised why others jump on opportunities knowing the uncertainties of MS so they make hay while the sun shines; they take advantage of loopholes their friends pass on to them or they find it on their own. Those who know how to network with the DIY MSers get to pick the low hanging fruits. It's just the nature of the game, the go-getters reach their goals while those who just wait to be spoonfed resort to ranting when deals pass by and no one ELI5.
I agree me and spouse had 4 Merrill Lynch cards each in last year and now they introduced 2 or 3 in rolling 24 months. Nothing is going to last long. I beg to differ with when one closes the other opportunities open. The bank such as WF may take time to realize what's going on, eventually when they come to know then they are not going to make the same mistake again.

There are only so many banks and once we exhaust all the options, the MS will be dead or becomes so unattractive. We may not be completely there but almost there. Anyone worrying about credit score hit etc has already lost a lot of opportunity. You use it or lose it.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
I agree me and spouse had 4 Merrill Lynch cards each in last year and now they introduced 2 or 3 in rolling 24 months. Nothing is going to last long. I beg to differ with when one closes the other opportunities open. The bank such as WF may take time to realize what's going on, eventually when they come to know then they are not going to make the same mistake again.

There are only so many banks and once we exhaust all the options, the MS will be dead or becomes so unattractive. We may not be completely there but almost there. Anyone worrying about credit score hit etc has already lost a lot of opportunity. You use it or lose it.
It's really how you look at the glass whether it's half full or half empty. Of course, the opportunities available to each of us are different but the results of success or failure rely heavily on strategies we formulate or lack of them. Being in a network of like minded people opens up a lot of opportunities where you can choose those you are comfortable doing. No judgments on what you want to do or don't do and no expectations of getting spoonfed either.

There may be limited banks that offer CC bonuses and rewards like you say but you are just focusing on banks when there are unlimited opportunities especially for those who can think outside the box. For instance, there are time bound opportunities that cannot be shared because they are extremely fragile that's why it is discussed only among small groups and not mentioned in public fora.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:52 pm

When all the smoke clears: There's no way that "several hundred k per month" can be done without some level of mis-representation, e.g., use of multiple identities.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
When all the smoke clears: There's no way that "several hundred k per month" can be done without some level of mis-representation, e.g., use of multiple identities.
Sorry, but your statement is not true and as referenced above this figure is actually on the small side for some "whales". It most assuredly can be done. Ahh, I miss the WF days. So sad.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Sorry, but your statement is not true and as referenced above this figure is actually on the small side for some "whales". It most assuredly can be done. Ahh, I miss the WF days. So sad.
how? Giftcardmall pretty strict. Sams Club doesn't sell anymore. Post Office only takes cards from Sams. Walmart is max 4 swipes for the 2,000 dollars. You can still visit multiple Walmarts in a day, but if they found out about you this certainly would be seen as suspicious behavior at a minimum. How, then, is 100s of thousands accomplished?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:05 am
Original Poster

There may be limited banks that offer CC bonuses and rewards like you say but you are just focusing on banks when there are unlimited opportunities especially for those who can think outside the box.
MB,

You have some very valid points. I mentioned banks in a quick reply but this applies to most other things out there. My reference for bonuses is at least 50,000 points, $500 for meeting spending requirement, 5% reward etc. 2% return, 30,000 Hilton points is off the list for me as I mentioned before, I don't MS for hotel/air points but ultimately for CASH. When there is no other MS to pursue, I may go on in for $200-300 cash rewards for meeting spending requirement type of cards. I also don't like ordering thousands of dollars of VGC through online sources such as staples, GCM etc.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Spencer1
how?
via social network

IOW, if you find the right people to discuss with, and have some ideas to offer that'll start the ball rolling.

No ideas to share? then just continue to do what you're doing and keep on reading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.