Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Money Orders at Western Union

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2021, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
You're thinking way too hard about this. It's a WU related service, they're using WU related logo to make the announcement. Maybe WU mandates that any changes related to their services be made on their stationery.
It isn't WU "stationary". I saw the (or one of the) original(s). I'll call it sophisticated. I've done a lot of 'cut & paste' over the years, as well as modification and even creation of whole sophisticated documents (no counterfeiting). If created by the ad/art dept of a major corporation, it's not sophisticated. It would be sophisticated for a grocery store. It was full-color. The background involved a 'translucent layer', such as would be created in PhotoShop or other software. You can see how that background washes out to dark gray when photocopied in the previously linked pics.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:32 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Whittaker
Two stores or two branches of same store?
2 branches of the same store.

Went to a different chain and there was no mention of WU requiring cash only.

I am reasonably confident that this is a GE thing and not a WU thing.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:41 pm

just as noted earlier, looks like this turned out to be YMMV region specific.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:47 pm

Saw sign saying "WU MO payment was now cash or debit card with issuing bank and name that matches ID" at Giant store in PA (no relation to Giant Eagle, completely separate chain). I have not checked other Giant stores in the area yet. Sign was not there last month, so it might still be a WU thing but chain specific.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:26 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by the188
Saw sign saying "WU MO payment was now cash or debit card with issuing bank and name that matches ID" at Giant store in PA (no relation to Giant Eagle, completely separate chain). I have not checked other Giant stores in the area yet. Sign was not there last month, so it might still be a WU thing but chain specific.
That is a standard (and I believe official) sign for several years. BAU mostly, though some stores ask to see the card especially those where people keep trying multi-swipe payment.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by soy
That is a standard (and I believe official) sign for several years. BAU mostly, though some stores ask to see the card especially those where people keep trying multi-swipe payment.
I now am going to have to go to individual GE stores and see if the CSR will ignore the mothership's rule about cash only.

I suspect that for most, the answer will be get lost, but who knows. The above gives me hope that maybe things will not be so draconian.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
just as noted earlier, looks like this turned out to be YMMV region specific.
Well, it's not store specific, that's for sure. I've been running around all over the area, and all other listed WU agents are also cash-only. I've made a list of MG agents, which I hope to make the rounds to starting later this week, but I'm not very optimistic.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 6:48 pm

Well, it's not store specific, that's for sure. I've been running around all over the area, and all other listed WU agents are also cash-only. I've made a list of MG agents, which I hope to make the rounds to starting later this week, but I'm not very optimistic.
Why is it inconceivable that another grocery chain has gone cash only for purchase of money orders??

What we need is more DPs
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:29 am

well, the vast majority will be cash only. always has been. only a few grocery stores allow gebits. never found any gas station, rite aid, WG, or 711 that allow MO with gebits.

anyone w/ DP for walgreens or 711 allowing MO with gebit?
Old Mar 24, 2021, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
well, the vast majority will be cash only. always has been. only a few grocery stores allow gebits. never found any gas station, rite aid, WG, or 711 that allow MO with gebits.

anyone w/ DP for walgreens or 711 allowing MO with gebit?
At least 2 major unrelated grocery stores in the NE stopped allowing gebits for WU MOs at the start of March. Could be coincidence. Could be WU rolling something out. The fact that many places didn't allow it before doesn't change the fact that more places got killed this month.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by the188
At least 2 major unrelated grocery stores in the NE stopped allowing gebits for WU MOs at the start of March. Could be coincidence. Could be WU rolling something out. The fact that many places didn't allow it before doesn't change the fact that more places got killed this month.
Per WU terms, they haven't been allowed for a long time. It's enforcement that's YMMV. The thing with Giant Eagle was that they were (allegedly) stopped allowing even true debit cards, which means you can't even try a gebit. I haven't seen any other stores mentioned as blocking all forms of debit.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:53 am
ck8

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM/United Mileage Plus/Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
...stopped allowing even true debit cards, which means you can't even try a gebit....
Forgive the rube questions but I have been trying to figure out what gebit is. I tried to a web search and didn't see it defined.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ck8
Forgive the rube questions but I have been trying to figure out what gebit is. I tried to a web search and didn't see it defined.
Slang / Vernacular term for VGC/MCGC so you don't have to type out all that.
ck8 and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
Per WU terms, they haven't been allowed for a long time. It's enforcement that's YMMV. The thing with Giant Eagle was that they were (allegedly) stopped allowing even true debit cards, which means you can't even try a gebit. I haven't seen any other stores mentioned as blocking all forms of debit.
Not alleged
GE is now a cash only operation. No debit card of any type is allowed.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Why is it inconceivable that another grocery chain has gone cash only for purchase of money orders??
I don't comprehend the question.

My point was, I made a list of all the WU agents in my zip code and the surrounding zip codes for quite a distance. By either personal visit, online FAQs (what kind of payment do you accept? / can I pay with a debit card?), or multiple review sites of chain-named places (not just some rando comment), I've been unable to find anyplace else that is not cash-only. I have one place remaining still to check.

In the process, I did discover that at participating WU agents, you CAN use a debit card to send money directly to a bank account. Well, I thought, now that'll do! Until I got to the part where they want a $20 fee.

Geebus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.