Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Money Orders at Western Union

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:13 am

I'll be hitting a different branch of the grocer today. If they have the same sign, I'll snap a pic. And Sat I'll be back up doing my rounds where I saw it. This is a full-color, almost like a small poster, commercially-printed sign, with huge WU logo as a backdrop and the message 'all cash mar 1st', 'sorry for any inconvenience' near the bottom, then Western Union, blah blah blah.

'Sorry for any inconvenience' my A$$.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Whittaker
I'll be hitting a different branch of the grocer today. If they have the same sign, I'll snap a pic. And Sat I'll be back up doing my rounds where I saw it. This is a full-color, almost like a small poster, commercially-printed sign, with huge WU logo as a backdrop and the message 'all cash mar 1st', 'sorry for any inconvenience' near the bottom, then Western Union, blah blah blah.

'Sorry for any inconvenience' my A$$.
If a store wants to deflect customer's ire from them, it is easiest to blame some faceless corporation rather than to accept the onus on themselves.

I am certain it is not hard to take a nondescript WU message and overlay the logo with your own message and then copy it, making it look like an "official" notification......but it isn't.

What I saw at my store was a simple message taped onto the counter stating the above.

We'll see
Old Feb 4, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by radonc1
If a store wants to deflect customer's ire from them, it is easiest to blame some faceless corporation rather than to accept the onus on themselves.

I am certain it is not hard to take a nondescript WU message and overlay the logo with your own message and then copy it, making it look like an "official" notification......but it isn't.

What I saw at my store was a simple message taped onto the counter stating the above.

We'll see
That is correct, anyone who's done MS long enough will know the annoying reply: "we don't know who made decision, here's 1-800 number you can call and go nowhere"

None of the WU stores around me have cash-only, although some branches do enforce no-GC pretty strictly.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 3:27 pm

Cashier at regional grocery chain pointed me to a sign on the counter saying Western Union Money Orders will be CASH ONLY/NO DEBIT as of March 1st.
Was it Giant Eagle? There were some posts about that on reddit.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Was it Giant Eagle? There were some posts about that on reddit.
Link??
Old Feb 4, 2021, 6:35 pm

Link??
Here it is
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:05 pm

My use of a Walmart Visa GC at a FoodLion (WU) for MO was declined for the first time. Wonder if others have the same experience.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by redarmy
My use of a Walmart Visa GC at a FoodLion (WU) for MO was declined for the first time. Wonder if others have the same experience.
I regret to say that I have a picture of the notice that was tacked up on a Giant Eagle grocer.

As you can see, this is not a cut and paste job. The letterhead is WU's. I have no idea if this notice will be limited to just Giant Eagle supermarkets, or whether WU is going cash only on 3/1/21.

The only way we find out is for others outside of the Giant Eagle territory and who sell WU MOs using debit to report in. Are they also seeing such notices?
Old Feb 5, 2021, 4:55 pm

I regret to say that I have a picture of the notice that was tacked up on a Giant Eagle grocer.

As you can see, this is not a cut and paste job. The letterhead is WU's. I have no idea if this notice will be limited to just Giant Eagle supermarkets, or whether WU is going cash only on 3/1/21.

The only way we find out is for others outside of the Giant Eagle territory and who sell WU MOs using debit to report in. Are they also seeing such notices?

I will check in next few days. My local grocers all use WU. If it's not happening here, then it's GE's decision, blamed or made to look like WU.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I will check in next few days. My local grocers all use WU. If it's not happening here, then it's GE's decision, blamed or made to look like WU.
I have a gut sinking suspicion that this is not a regional grocer's decision.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:01 pm

Programs: IHG, Hilton diamond (IHG match) SPG gold
Curious that the sign is b/w / xerox
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by 808pineapple
Because they most likely get emails to the store managers. And he/she just prints them off. B/W printer is cheaper to own for a store.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 10:57 am

I have a gut sinking suspicion that this is not a regional grocer's decision.
Was at one local grocery chain today, no sign of the cash-only notice. Got two MOs to drain BB+GOB and they didn't say anything about upcoming cash-only policies.

I'm pretty sure it's regional or even local. A few of my stores once went "cash only" 3-4 years ago, allegedly at the behest of WU. Now they're suddenly ok with debit once the heavy MS volume died down.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by 808pineapple
I assume that's because the original, full-color with giant translucent WU logo as a background, had much smaller sized text, and it was off-center to the right, with artwork going down the left side. Somebody must have thought it was too small to read, so they enlarged it centered over the text, and if you don't know how to set the appropriate contrast, the backdrop washes-out to the dark gray.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 7:05 am

I assume that's because the original, full-color with giant translucent WU logo as a background, had much smaller sized text, and it was off-center to the right, with artwork going down the left side. Somebody must have thought it was too small to read, so they enlarged it centered over the text, and if you don't know how to set the appropriate contrast, the backdrop washes-out to the dark gray.
The sign was laminated . Who the heck would laminate a photo-copied email message

On my original sighting of this message at another GE, it was just a typewritten message taped to the counter.

We need to find out from folks outside of GE region to see if there are indications of restriction to cash, or else there may be a sudden splurge of posts on 3/1 about being unable to buy WU MOs with debit cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.