Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Moneygram machine in CVS - Can I use GC to pay my CC?

Old Sep 2, 17, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

Hey guys,

I tried to search Google and on this forum for this. I'm sorry if there are answers on this already.

I stopped by my local CVS and saw a Moneygram Machine. It says you can pay bills with it. Can I use my Visa 5Back at this machine? I guess the only way to see if I can is to actually try to use a 5back card on it.

I just MS'ed $8k. I have the MO's ready to deposit, so I don't have any left over GC's. Otherwise I would try it.

Have any of you guys tried it?

Thank you
Old Sep 2, 17, 1:33 pm

To pay bills with MG at CVS, you should call MG first using the red phone for MG use exclusively. They will give you a total amount for the bill with MG fees you're paying with a reference number which you will give to CVS cashier at checkout. The only payment accepted is CASH. Therefore, for MS purposes, this is no go. This was the info given by the store manager over a year ago, feel free to ask if things have changed.
Old Sep 2, 17, 1:38 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Never tried. Watch paying credit card bills with funky payment methods - seems to be a possible trigger for account reviews and shutdowns.

Originally Posted by mfong View Post
Hey guys,

I tried to search Google and on this forum for this. I'm sorry if there are answers on this already.

I stopped by my local CVS and saw a Moneygram Machine. It says you can pay bills with it. Can I use my Visa 5Back at this machine? I guess the only way to see if I can is to actually try to use a 5back card on it.

I just MS'ed $8k. I have the MO's ready to deposit, so I don't have any left over GC's. Otherwise I would try it.

Have any of you guys tried it?

Thank you
Old Sep 2, 17, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
Never tried. Watch paying credit card bills with funky payment methods - seems to be a possible trigger for account reviews and shutdowns.
Is that your opinion or is that true? I'm asking because if that's true then I won't try it.

Because right now I pay my CC with several banking accounts, I hope that's not sketchy to them. I pay with the bank account with all the MO's, then I pay the GC fees with my regular bank.
Old Sep 3, 17, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Some places will accept debit for Moneygram transactions including bill pay. However, there is a fee involved, anywhere from free (subsidized by the payee company) to $5.95 if not more.

Most mainstream credit card companies probably won't accept Moneygram transfers as payments for credit cards (They need to be set up with a receive code in Moneygram, and those are labeled with what they are for; mostly mortgage/loan payments), but the shadier/predatory credit card companies will probably be set up to accept it.
Old Sep 3, 17, 4:38 pm

Is that your opinion or is that true? I'm asking because if that's true then I won't try it.

Because right now I pay my CC with several banking accounts, I hope that's not sketchy to them. I pay with the bank account with all the MO's, then I pay the GC fees with my regular bank.
more facts than opinions
Old Jan 28, 19, 5:22 pm

Guessing the other alternative would be to buy a Visa GC from said drugstores and pay the bill that way. What's the best gc to buy
Old Jan 29, 19, 7:50 am

Credit Cards or ok with paying from your bank account, even if its from several different bank accounts. As long as they are your accounts. Some credit card companies do check that the payer is the recipient, even on ACH accts. Third party payments may raise flags for the CC. I pay bills from 6 different bank accounts and never had an issue. I MS heavily but I do not do not pay the CC with money orders or any bill pay service other than my own bank account bill pay.

Search this Thread