Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Just bad luck or is Walgreens out of the MS game for good?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Went to 3 seperate Walgreens today and they told me if I was going to buy a gift card, I need to do it with cash. Does anyone know if I just somehow got unlucky, or is this standard now?

Has anyone had any luck buying Gift Cards from Walgreens at all?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Yung Churnboi
Went to 3 seperate Walgreens today and they told me if I was going to buy a gift card, I need to do it with cash. Does anyone know if I just somehow got unlucky, or is this standard now?

Used to be very much a YMMV. I have not tried in years as I was denied many years ago in my town, but others were successful in other towns.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:22 am

I travel a lot for work, I noticed on Monday one general area just went from great to nothing seemingly in less than a week, while other areas today and yesterday are business as usual.

I think some scammers got some old people to pay them in gc in that area, this is why we can't have nice things.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Yung Churnboi

The Walgreens just 0.1 miles from my house still takes credit/debit for gift cards. I just got an Amazon gift card for $100 with credit twice earlier this week. Not sure about VGC though.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: Several dozen
It is all YMMV as usual. The chain policy and local management policy often are not in alignment.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Absolutely YMMV. They are also not supposed to sell more then one VGC for a max of $500.00. I just bring up two with different packaging and about 50% of the time I can buy both. If I get pushback I only buy one. I find the late shift are usually not sticklers, or even know the rules. I have never had a WG tell me cash only.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:56 pm

I have had success just using Apple Pay on my phone and just tapping the scanner thing. Then they didn't even know what kind of card it was
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:46 pm

just grabbed one a couple days ago. There's only one in my area that even carries variables, but is still a go.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:10 am

My understanding of the corporate policy (per management in Vegas) is that you are limited to buying one card type per day. Buying one VGC VISA and one VGC MC would be in compliance with policy while buying one VGC VISA in a black and silver package and one VGC VISA in a white and gold package would not. This said there either does not seem to be a clear memo on the policy or adequate staff training which has lead to some YMMV. Other YMMV comes in when an area is hit by fraudsters and local management does a knee jerk reaction to shut down variable VGC sales. This reaction is typically cash only store policies or removal of $20-500 cards on a short or long term basis.

Originally Posted by cruisr
Absolutely YMMV. They are also not supposed to sell more then one VGC for a max of $500.00. I just bring up two with different packaging and about 50% of the time I can buy both. If I get pushback I only buy one. I find the late shift are usually not sticklers, or even know the rules. I have never had a WG tell me cash only.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
My understanding of the corporate policy (per management in Vegas) is that you are limited to buying one card type per day. Buying one VGC VISA and one VGC MC would be in compliance with policy while buying one VGC VISA in a black and silver package and one VGC VISA in a white and gold package would not. This said there either does not seem to be a clear memo on the policy or adequate staff training which has lead to some YMMV. Other YMMV comes in when an area is hit by fraudsters and local management does a knee jerk reaction to shut down variable VGC sales. This reaction is typically cash only store policies or removal of $20-500 cards on a short or long term basis.
What do you think the 'V' in 'VGC stands for
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by jmlinden7
What do you think the 'V' in 'VGC stands for
some people use vgc to mean vanilla gift card.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Nope.

$500 open loop
$500 closed loop
$500 store
per day
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:39 am

As in one variable, one fixed value and one retailer card? Each a different type of GC? Would love to see the corporate memo that has created such confusion. It must have come when the racks were tagged with the "$500" message on the bottom.

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Nope.

$500 open loop
$500 closed loop
$500 store
per day
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:00 am

As in one variable, one fixed value and one retailer card? Each a different type of GC? Would love to see the corporate memo that has created such confusion. It must have come when the racks were tagged with the "$500" message on the bottom.
I am sure you can understand the confusion, after all it is clear most people don't know what open loop and closed loop are even when they are in this arena of gift card usage. A normal wags cashier is supposed to know the difference? Doubtful
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:26 am

IME, even with a corporate memo, I can still buy up to 4 variables at my go-to WAG because the register allows it. I have been to stores where it is the cashier or AM who outright say ONLY 1 $500 GC and I don't argue; but during those times when they have promos of buy any 2 vanillas, get $5 WAG gc free, I just show them their ad and most often they acquiesce while saying "this time only". I proceed to buy 2 variables. There were instances cashier won't budge and say I can buy two $250s and I just say No thanks and leave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.