Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Just bad luck or is Walgreens out of the MS game for good?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just bad luck or is Walgreens out of the MS game for good?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
As in one variable, one fixed value and one retailer card? Each a different type of GC? Would love to see the corporate memo that has created such confusion. It must have come when the racks were tagged with the "$500" message on the bottom.
Open loop - cards that can used for anything such as V/MC/Amex
Closed loop - brand specific gift cards such as Best Buy or Foot locker
Store - Walgreens brand gift card.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: Several dozen
What's the authority for this interpretation? Did you see a memo or is this another of the varied management interpretations we are seeing in the stores? Why can't they just hire Chaney Consulting Group, LLC., get a system enforced control ala CVS, and quadruple their VGC business? Heck, for that matter why can't Navarro Drug (owned by CVS) get their systems in alignment with CVS and stop their cash/debit card nonsense?

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Open loop - cards that can used for anything such as V/MC/Amex
Closed loop - brand specific gift cards such as Best Buy or Foot locker
Store - Walgreens brand gift card.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
What's the authority for this interpretation? Did you see a memo or is this another of the varied management interpretations we are seeing in the stores? Why can't they just hire Chaney Consulting Group, LLC., get a system enforced control ala CVS, and quadruple their VGC business? Heck, for that matter why can't Navarro Drug (owned by CVS) get their systems in alignment with CVS and stop their cash/debit card nonsense?
From District Loss Prevention to multiple managers in this area over the course of 2+ years as purchasing activity was noticed at the district level and word was passed down to the store managers. While rules were interpreted loosely prior, every one of them had the exact same marching orders after being spoken to.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:47 pm
Suspended

From District Loss Prevention to multiple managers in this area over the course of 2+ years as purchasing activity was noticed at the district level and word was passed down to the store managers. While rules were interpreted loosely prior, every one of them had the exact same marching orders after being spoken to.
I've gotten the exact same thing in my area. The only discrepancy seems to be whether or not the store has the ability to buck district's orders and deny selling to anyone if they're using a CC. That seems to be VERY hit and miss. I've only got one friendly store near me. Too much fraud for them to want to bother.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: Several dozen
Vegas was a MC and a VISA per day when there this summer so the message was getting distorted. DLP is killing sales revenue if the spike in GC sales surface by analytics was caused by MSers not fraudsters. MSFolk do bring in revenue and nonVGC sales as Cheney could attest at CVS.

Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
IME, even with a corporate memo, I can still buy up to 4 variables at my go-to WAG because the register allows it. I have been to stores where it is the cashier or AM who outright say ONLY 1 $500 GC and I don't argue; but during those times when they have promos of buy any 2 vanillas, get $5 WAG gc free, I just show them their ad and most often they acquiesce while saying "this time only". I proceed to buy 2 variables. There were instances cashier won't budge and say I can buy two $250s and I just say No thanks and leave.
Same. The closest WAG to me will let me buy 1 $500 V(isa)GC unless there's a "buy 2, get a $5 WAG GC" then they'll let me buy 2.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:18 pm

No issues at my local Walgreens in Chicago. I bought a $500 Vanilla VGC over the weekend. Sometimes the clerk will ask for ID to compare it to the card, but they never scan it like CVS.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:26 pm

Every Walgreens around me is willing to allow CC payment for VGCs. However, it looks like there is a hard limit of 1 $500 card per day per store. And most will check your ID against your credit card.

Had one clerk today who examined my CC for quite a long time, inserted it for me into the card reader, and then asked to see it again after the payment went through to ensure that I didn't switch out the card or something. Seemed like a bit of overkill.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by brody24
Every Walgreens around me is willing to allow CC payment for VGCs. However, it looks like there is a hard limit of 1 $500 card per day per store. And most will check your ID against your credit card.

This has been my experience as well.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I don’t usually frequent Walgreens as there are none convenient to me, but I was on the other side of town this evening and stopped by a Walgreens to buy a $500 Vanilla VGC. Had no problems using my Amex Platinum to purchase it (cashier didn’t even ask for ID) but then it was declined when I tried to purchase MO at the grocery store across the street about 5 minutes later.

Is there a delay in activation of VGC from Walgreens? I have had this happen before with Vanilla cards bought from WM (usually have to wait an hour or so before I can drain them) but not from CVS or other merchants. Hoping it’s not an issue with the GC or a fraud block.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:21 pm

Yes. There's a slight delay.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Liquidated a VVGC from Walgreens at Walmart within 15 minutes of purchase. I did have problems swiping the first two times, and the third time it went through -- so potentially it JUST activated in time for my third try. I did note that the VGC website wasn't showing me a balance either when I checked in the parking lot outside of Walgreens.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by pitflyer
Liquidated a VVGC from Walgreens at Walmart within 15 minutes of purchase. I did have problems swiping the first two times, and the third time it went through -- so potentially it JUST activated in time for my third try. I did note that the VGC website wasn't showing me a balance either when I checked in the parking lot outside of Walgreens.
to Serve/BB?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Yes, to BB. Sorry, forgot that MO is an option, been using BB since avoids MO fee and normally works fine for me. I hear its location dependent if VVGC works > $50. Mine did.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:43 pm

Walgreens is hit or miss. Usually though they limit to one or two $500 cards per transaction with CC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.