Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Wallet no longer allows GC...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Driftr
How is it profitable? Is there not a 2.9% fee on sending money through debit cards (GC)?
Even then it's beneficial if you get enough value from points. It's not uncommon to book a flight in F that would cost $10k or more for 100k points or less. Say you're getting double points buying the GC, you would need $50k in GC. With a $5 fee per card and 2.9% you would get the flight for under $2k. You're not flying for free, but you're saving 80%+, and that's assuming you don't have any other tricks up your sleeve.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Several dozen
Yet none of us would ever pay $10k for the F seat. The true value of the seat is more like 3x the cost of an economy seat so these days you get more like 30% off the true value of the ticket when you factor in your costs IMHO.

Originally Posted by nivekious
Even then it's beneficial if you get enough value from points. It's not uncommon to book a flight in F that would cost $10k or more for 100k points or less. Say you're getting double points buying the GC, you would need $50k in GC. With a $5 fee per card and 2.9% you would get the flight for under $2k. You're not flying for free, but you're saving 80%+, and that's assuming you don't have any other tricks up your sleeve.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Say your getting 5x buying...
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:08 pm

Thumbs up Wow

That's an awesome explanation. Thanks. I don't have any premium travel cards right now since my credit history is fairly new. I'd start soon too. Reading time for me now.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:05 pm

No 2.9% fee

Originally Posted by Driftr
How is it profitable? Is there not a 2.9% fee on sending money through debit cards (GC)?
There is no fee.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:21 pm

Do you Xfer to Bank account or another GE account?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver
Did this die for anyone else in the last few days..."Insufficient Funds"???
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by umich07
I don't know if it died but my "error" message just said the transaction was cancelled. No reason given.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pkerr
I don't know if it died but my "error" message just said the transaction was cancelled. No reason given.
I think I got the same. When looking back in Google Wallet, I saw insufficient funds as the listed reason.

I don't think it is Google blocking the transaction.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by umich07
I haven't seen the insufficient funds message but I keep getting "Transaction declined." Guessing it's the same thing. Oddly enough, I kept trying over the past few days and one of my VGCs went through, although it's still showing as pending for the recipient (and Vanilla website still shows full $500 balance).
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brosnan6
I haven't seen the insufficient funds message but I keep getting "Transaction declined." Guessing it's the same thing. Oddly enough, I kept trying over the past few days and one of my VGCs went through, although it's still showing as pending for the recipient (and Vanilla website still shows full $500 balance).
Same message I'm getting. I may try a "real" debit card to see how that works.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Same message I'm getting. I may try a "real" debit card to see how that works.
I tried my "real" debit card and that worked. This may indeed be the end.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:33 am
Original Poster

I tried my "real" debit card and that worked. This may indeed be the end.
So far still dead.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:08 pm

Is this completely dead or is there still some options available?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.