Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Money Orders at Grocery Stores (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Buy Money Orders at Grocery Stores (2017)

I've been a lurker for many months and am constantly trying to search for this in other threads: what grocery stores allow MO purchases with GCs.

Happy to give the thread to a moderator, but figured this forum could use it.
-----------------

SF Bay Area - no luck currently, every store asks for cash only
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Wow. Most of the grocery stores in my area (Las Vegas and Salt Lake) accept debit, but don't like gift cards.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:00 am

My advice to you would be to get out there and keep trying. Everything is YMMV from chain to chain and store to store.

There is plenty of discussion out there on this topic already. The way avenues to MS are dying these days there is no benefit to creating a master thread on it.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by traveltogo
My advice to you would be to get out there and keep trying. Everything is YMMV from chain to chain and store to store.

There is plenty of discussion out there on this topic already. The way avenues to MS are dying these days there is no benefit to creating a master thread on it.
Agreed, it's not hard to figure out which stores in your area will sell you a MO with a VGC. Let's not spoonfeed the lazy.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by bworrell
Wow. Most of the grocery stores in my area (Las Vegas and Salt Lake) accept debit, but don't like gift cards.
I'm in Provo and I haven't had an issues with Smiths MO down here
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

I don't think this is about spoon feeding data, but rather cataloging what works and what doesn't, and when the changes occur, for grocerystore MO purchases. Region is also a big factor. Similar to the master thread for buying VGC at simons or MO at the post office.

It seems like money orders are easily purchased in your regions, while the Bay Area (Santa Clara, specifically) is more difficult. Thanks for the replies.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:27 pm

My Vanilla liquidation route remains strong here in Chicago but Metabank is super tight right now. A local Walmart market closed. A neighboring one (actually a teller who is always there) decided my cards with name on it weren't good enough

and the local Meijers no longer as of several months ago take Metabank

anyone in Chicagoland have a metabank liquidation tip? I can share some very friendly post offices
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:13 pm

is there a list of grocery stores that sell MO?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by sweetlites
for MS no.

no it's YMMV by location for VGCs.

one grocery store in one location allows it, while the same chain in another region is cash only.

best way to find out is to do some legwork and try it out.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by sweetlites
Yes, it's right here
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:20 pm

I went to buy a OVGC from a local Macey's (grocery store), and saw that they were out of stock, so I grabbed the closest employee (who happened to be the store director of course) and asked what was up. He said that last fall people were using stolen credit cards to buy thousands of dollars worth. So now they don't carry. I'm super pissed because their MO fees are crazy low, but the employees are all over this type of thing
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Just goes to show that we need a form of Global Entry for MSfolk where MSfolk can be precertified, given an identity card, and be good to go at all the stores that have been shunning us due to credit card fraud. We should be able to step up to the counter with our shoes on, our suitcases full of credit cards in hand and be good to buy gift cards in quantity.@:-)

Originally Posted by spencenaz
I went to buy a OVGC from a local Macey's (grocery store), and saw that they were out of stock, so I grabbed the closest employee (who happened to be the store director of course) and asked what was up. He said that last fall people were using stolen credit cards to buy thousands of dollars worth. So now they don't carry. I'm super pissed because their MO fees are crazy low, but the employees are all over this type of thing
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Just goes to show that we need a form of Global Entry for MSfolk where MSfolk can be precertified, given an identity card, and be good to go at all the stores that have been shunning us due to credit card fraud. We should be able to step up to the counter with our shoes on, our suitcases full of credit cards in hand and be good to buy gift cards in quantity.@:-)

Couldn't agree more! Just let me hit my minimums and spend money at your store!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:38 pm

Dont get why they wont check ID, i have actually bought $2k worth of MO a few times with no ID check, that would help with their issue
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:18 pm

I went to get a MO at a local grocery chain (that I have already done MO with) and he asked to see the card, and then chastised me. Their store has a corporate policy that says they will not accept MO with any type of prepaid card. They even had an official sign from corporate with the policy that he pulled out from under the counter to show me. Funny thing is I have already got MO from him in the past, and from several other branches. My mistake is that I tried to get 1000 instead of the usual 500, and he got suspicious. I will try the other branch that isn't too far, but I might just be stuck with the PO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.