Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

MERRILL+ Visa Signature fraud and want me to go to their bank

Old May 3, 2017, 1:47 am
Original Poster

I just got the card recently and tried making some purchases at a grocery store, amount was $1009, did not go through. Tried using the card again after 24 hrs, still did not go through. Got a voicemail about fraud, called into speak with somebody, she said she could not verify me and would call me back. Never did. Got another automated voicemail and called in and had to verify transaction through automated attendant. Logged in online and it still showed account as blocked. Called in and was told by the representative that i needed to go into the bank to verify, and that until i did my card would not be usable. I told them it was super inconvenient that i cant even use the new card i just got. I asked them to show me online where it states a card member must leave their house and go to a bank in order to use their card, obviously they could not.

Has this ever happened to anybody?
Old May 3, 2017, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by AceM
I just got the card recently and tried making some purchases at a grocery store, amount was $1009, did not go through.
> 1,000 USD at a grocery store You don't understand why your bank may think that fraud is involved and blocked the card?
Old May 3, 2017, 9:33 am

My card with BofA got blocked when someone tried to put 400 on it at Safeway. It ended up being fraud so after I verified I didn't make those charges, they sent me a new card number. To be honest over 1k in grocery is fishy for them. Might be gift cards and not just groceries.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:54 am

For some reason they flagged your first transaction, as they may have felt it was too large for some reason (type of merchant, credit limit, etc.) Regardless, banks then try to verify that you are legitimate over the phone by asking you a series of questions they may pull from your credit report. For some reason BOA could not do this.

I would try another call to the bank, but quite honestly, they have the right to freeze/close accounts, so I'm not sure there's much you can do.

Please let us know how you ultimately make out.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

I have about 20 cards and have never had to go into a location to verify my identity. That is the issue i am having not the actual fraud alert. I thought it was taken care of and is why i used it the 2nd time. I did not get pissed at any of the reps, i remained polite and respectful but i did stir the pot a little.

They refused to give me any information over the phone. I did speak to a supervisor and got nowhere.
Old May 3, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I just got the card recently and tried making some purchases at a grocery store, amount was $1009, did not go through.
What exactly did you attempt to purchase?

I asked them to show me online where it states a card member must leave their house and go to a bank in order to use their card, obviously they could not.
While obviously BofA could not show that, BofA's T&Cs allow BofA to block usage and close the account when necessary.

So is it a game you want to play or not?
Old May 4, 2017, 12:09 am
Original Poster

2 $500 gift cards. Yes i am aware it is their card and their rules, just a bit frustrating and quite surprising to have issues as soon as i get the card.

So i stopped in the bank and called them, they asked to speak to the banker and verify me. Apparently, their system was the issue they approved me for a card without verifying information or something i did not get the full details, and no apologies were made. If i wasnt getting 50k bonus points i wouldnt even use this card anymore. To make matters worse even though the charge was denied and i did not get the product, they approved it so i have to dispute the transactions.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
2 $500 gift cards. Yes i am aware it is their card and their rules, just a bit frustrating and quite surprising to have issues as soon as i get the card.
No sympathy with your situation when you attempted gaming the system.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by garykung
While that might be the viewpoint of outsiders, the question is why the bank should impose additional requirements from that transaction? if they frown upon the purchase, they certainly have other ways of dealing with it.

OP, recently I heard a smilar story, but with checking account. Someone had BofA checking for years, and they needed to reverify the ID, and it could only be done in person, in branch.

Maybe this requirement is implemented across all BofA products, or maybe Merrill+ gets tied to a borkerage (or falls under brokerage wing too), so gets extra scrutiny.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
I dont recall asking for your sympathy
Old May 7, 2017, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
While that might be the viewpoint of outsiders, the question is why the bank should impose additional requirements from that transaction? if they frown upon the purchase, they certainly have other ways of dealing with it.

OP, recently I heard a smilar story, but with checking account. Someone had BofA checking for years, and they needed to reverify the ID, and it could only be done in person, in branch.

Maybe this requirement is implemented across all BofA products, or maybe Merrill+ gets tied to a borkerage (or falls under brokerage wing too), so gets extra scrutiny.
They didnt apparently have an issue with the purchases, they admitted their system did not have all my information. I do not plan on using this card after i game them and get my 50k points, although i will just make regular purchases because i dont want a hassle from them.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

So i called and spoke to a supervisor and requested that i receive 5000 points for the issues i experienced. They were applied to my account after she reviewed the notes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.