Generate spend by setting up a business

Old Apr 26, 17, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Generate spend by setting up a business

Is it even legal to set up a small business, getting a payment service that takes card payments then pay your business by your Amex card and withdraw the money to the bank account in order to pay your credit card bill?
Old Apr 26, 17, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA/US ExPlat & 1.05MM, AF C2K, UA dirt
Originally Posted by cysyuen View Post
Is it even legal to set up a small business, getting a payment service that takes card payments then pay your business by your Amex card and withdraw the money to the bank account in order to pay your credit card bill?
IIRC, that is a violation of various payment processors' T&Cs. I'm not sure how much they go into investigating it though.
Old Apr 26, 17, 11:12 pm

Good luck with the 1099-K you will be receiving along with the 2.5% in merchant fees you will be incurring.
Old Apr 27, 17, 12:09 pm

What a dumb idea.
Old Apr 27, 17, 3:57 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Legal - yes. Reporting back your subsequent experience with the payment service falls under setting up an entertainment company. Popcorn here, get yer popcorn here!

Old Apr 27, 17, 4:43 pm

Geez, wasn't this same question just asked like 5 days ago?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-acccount.html

OK, 8 days.
Old Apr 27, 17, 5:17 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Flyby01 View Post
Good luck with the 1099-K you will be receiving along with the 2.5% in merchant fees you will be incurring.
Square, at least, only issues 1099-k's to businesses w/ more than 20K sales AND 200 transactions.

That being said, shutdown would be pretty quick.
Old Apr 27, 17, 8:02 pm

Why not just research Retail Arbitrage and reselling. Buy things for a discount in bulk or just get a deal and then sell it. All this requires is spare time, organization and market research.
Old Apr 29, 17, 9:40 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Like toadstools after the rain, this "idea" is a perrenial favorite. Kind of like killing Hitler...
http://www.tor.com/2011/08/31/wikihistory/

In short, it won't work. It will never work.

Andyandy
Old Apr 29, 17, 3:03 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Now, now never say never. Where there's a will there is always a lawyer.

Originally Posted by andyandy View Post
Like toadstools after the rain, this "idea" is a perrenial favorite. Kind of like killing Hitler...
http://www.tor.com/2011/08/31/wikihistory/

In short, it won't work. It will never work.

Andyandy
Old Apr 29, 17, 8:24 pm

This is actually a good way of getting around Am3x's once/lifetime bonus rule. I did it many yrs ago, got all my Am3x cards shut down and was banned for life. New life started less than 2 yrs later. Voila.

I did it out of idiocy. But if you know better, & have the juevos, it can be lucrative...
Old May 6, 17, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies -- clearly, I was clueless so decided to gather some feedback here. I have no plans of opening a Square account just for that, rather I got this question in mind as I have seen plentiful of adverts on the web.
Old May 6, 17, 7:11 pm

I actually tried this.. Several times with different payment processors. IRS nightmares aside (was a pricey PITA), I didn't last more than 2 months at a single processor operating a "restaurant".

Not worth the aggravation.
Old May 7, 17, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1PercentClub View Post
I actually tried this.. Several times with different payment processors. IRS nightmares aside (was a pricey PITA), I didn't last more than 2 months at a single processor operating a "restaurant".

Not worth the aggravation.
It would be an expensive move but surely someone can transfer money via PayPal to get bonuses?
Old May 7, 17, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM

How would you like some possible criminal charges on top of the civil ones? Also Amex merchant costs are a fortune. Tell em how paying 3% or more in merchant fees is worth it for points. You see threads like this over and over.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: