Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bitcoin for CC Churn?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:32 am

Bitcoin would essentially be the same as buying foreign currency or stocks, same risk levels, and the possibility to make a lot as well

I am not a risk taker
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:53 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by orange joe
How long have you been doing this for? Ever lost money on it?

As long the price of bitcoin eventually goes above 4% over the purchase price, there will be no loss. Of course, it could take days, weeks, months, or years for the price of a bitcoin to go above the purchase price by 4%. During that time, the money is completely illiquid except at a loss.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:44 am

hope you didn't buy 2k this week with a 4% limit lol.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by hw711
I cycle $2K per week using digital currencies.

I buy bitcoin/ethereum on coinbase. Coinbase charges 3.99% to use credit card (most exchanges don't allow credit card and those few do charge even more) and only allows you to place market order (please look up difference between market vs limit order if you don't know). I then transfer what I bought to GDAX, coinbase's sister site where you can set limit order and set a limit sell order at 4% above what I bought it for so I can forget about it and don't have to keep watching the price. Once sold, I withdrawal the cash back to my bank account.

To prevent fraud, coinbase has a credit card spending limit of $500/week for new users, they will move it up to $2K/week once you use them for a couple months. Like other people already mentioned, digital currencies are highly volatile. They can move 20% up or down a day. There are a lot of risks so I wouldn't recommend keeping a large position longer than you have to.
So uhhh....with BTC going straight down 20% for a week, how have you done with this "strategy"?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ultraboost
So uhhh....with BTC going straight down 20% for a week, how have you done with this "strategy"?
Uhhh... if you can't handle some float, then you shouldn't be here.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by esdot
Uhhh... if you can't handle some float, then you shouldn't be here.
Sorry for your losses. I think this is actually a horrible way to MS, basically you have outsized losses and limited gains, if any.

Last edited by Ultraboost; Sep 14, 2017 at 2:12 pm
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:39 pm

You edited your response, which shows you have more sense than sense of humor.

Originally Posted by Ultraboost
Sounds like you're losing money and bitter. I think this is actually a horrible way to MS, basically you have outsized losses and limited gains, if any.
As to your original response, I'm not bitter. My cryptocurrency holdings equal your ability to take a joke. But someone lost money, as you recognize from the sympathetic edit to your bitter initial response--though it still seems mean to ask hw711 how much he lost, since his prior post and bitcoin price history make plain that s/he likely is down $400-800.

Anyhow, I appreciated hw711's post. It got the wheels turning in my head as to whether GDAX issues a 1099, whether a limit order to sell 4% above purchase actually creates a net zero purchase, whether price trends would support setting the limit orders higher than breakeven, whether OP could eliminate some of the volatility risk by also setting limit orders 8% below purchase to cap downside risk.

I'm not adopting the "strategy" but am learning from it. Thanks, hw711.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:09 pm

This is a manufactured spending with 4% cost. Put a 4% gain limit order does not decrease your 4% cost. Gain from trading the bitcoin is not relevant to your manufactured spending cost.
4% cost is a very expensive method that I won't touch.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
lol RIP anyone who was stupid enough to MS with Crypto.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
lol RIP anyone who was stupid enough to MS with Crypto.
Agreed although the price has recovered nicely since 9/15/17. So many other avenues you can take for MS. The transaction fee and Coinbase's 1.49% fee is not worth it even if you plan on buying the dip and holding Bitcoin long term. Just set up an account on Gemini and link your bank account to it. The fee there is 0.25% (6X less than Coinbase) with a $500 max per day ACH.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UR
Originally Posted by ICEE45
Agreed although the price has recovered nicely since 9/15/17. So many other avenues you can take for MS. The transaction fee and Coinbase's 1.49% fee is not worth it even if you plan on buying the dip and holding Bitcoin long term. Just set up an account on Gemini and link your bank account to it. The fee there is 0.25% (6X less than Coinbase) with a $500 max per day ACH.
You can also liquidate by transferring any you purchased on coinbase to GDAX and not pay any fees.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by ICEE45
But that doesn't help with MS....
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:15 pm

Anyone know of an exchange that's reputable that takes Amex?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by izieh
Anyone know of an exchange that's reputable that takes Amex?
Yes, Abra app for iphone. You can buy btc directly from Amex using it. I've done it several times
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by savingwizard
This is a manufactured spending with 4% cost. Put a 4% gain limit order does not decrease your 4% cost. Gain from trading the bitcoin is not relevant to your manufactured spending cost.
Exactly. I'm interested to know what cards people are using that they value the "points" greater than 0.04.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.