Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Post on this topic before 2017 can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1520316-visa-gc-walmart-83.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:12 pm

Anyone received a message like this when buying regular WM-branded VGC's (not reloadables or Vanillas)? Tried to make my normal purchase and the register refused to take my credit card.

REQUIRED CASH OR DEBIT
A money order, money gram, or prepaid card has been purchased in this transaction and must be paid for with cash or debit.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:17 am

New Walmart VGC scam/fraud risk

Just want to alert the community to a new fraud risk when purchasing Walmart VGC, any of you remember the MC fraud issue back then? Well I just had that happened with Walmart VGC, purchased a few of them 2 days ago and found out that the balance has been drained in 3 of them cards. The thing is that the package of all of the cards are complete and in tact so not sure how the scammers managed to get a hold of the card numbers. And good luck trying to get a refund since GoBank won't honor any amount for the cards that are not registered online.

Any suggestions on where to report this?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Orochimaru

Just want to alert the community to a new fraud risk when purchasing Walmart VGC, any of you remember the MC fraud issue back then? Well I just had that happened with Walmart VGC, purchased a few of them 2 days ago and found out that the balance has been drained in 3 of them cards. The thing is that the package of all of the cards are complete and in tact so not sure how the scammers managed to get a hold of the card numbers. And good luck trying to get a refund since GoBank won't honor any amount for the cards that are not registered online.

This is not new. Cards are sequential just like usbank cards are, very easily hackable. Good luck getting funds back
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Orochimaru

there is another poster who said GD refused to refund one card because it wasn't registered; they gave refund for one card that was registered.

if all else fail, file complaint via CFPB; best to have a police report plus receipt(s) and packages as part of your proof. Good luck!

PS: what city/region was this WM that you bought these GDVGCs? this will help those who are traveling to avoid such store where cards have been possibly compromised.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by m0re
Anyone received a message like this when buying regular WM-branded VGC's (not reloadables or Vanillas)? Tried to make my normal purchase and the register refused to take my credit card.

REQUIRED CASH OR DEBIT
A money order, money gram, or prepaid card has been purchased in this transaction and must be paid for with cash or debit.
Got the same thing this morning at a WM that always worked. Tried several cc’s but system rejected automatically. This sucks, hopefully it is temporary.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:13 am

Region is Northern VA area and this might be connected to the recent wave of Walmart system rejects of VGC purchase. Just heard Walmart new policy of only allowing purchases of VGC with debit and cash only.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:28 am

I am in South Texas and 6 WM rejected my credit card purchase for VGC. Little paper printout from cash register stated only cash or debit.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by lancaster
I am in South Texas and 6 WM rejected my credit card purchase for VGC. Little paper printout from cash register stated only cash or debit.
What CC?

Last year, I couldn't get @m3x to work, Samsung pay Ch@$3 woudn't work. Physical Ch@$3 Fr33d0m with chip worked.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:30 pm

Based on reports on reddit, I tried buying one GDVGC today at one of my go-to WMs and was surprised that after processing CC, transaction was cancelled. I switched to different CCs thinking it must've been a fraud alert ~ Miles, CitiDC, Alliant and all were cancelled. Since I was buying other things with the GCs, I asked to remove the GCs and payment went through. Something must be brewing related to acceptable payment for these GDVGCs. I'll try a different WM later, hopefully it was just an isolated glitch. Meanwhile, had no issues with loading prepaids and buying MOs with usual 4 swipes using SGCs.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:00 pm

I experienced the same issue at a neighborhood WM at Kansas City area.

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Based on reports on reddit, I tried buying one GDVGC today at one of my go-to WMs and was surprised that after processing CC, transaction was cancelled. I switched to different CCs thinking it must've been a fraud alert ~ Miles, CitiDC, Alliant and all were cancelled. Since I was buying other things with the GCs, I asked to remove the GCs and payment went through. Something must be brewing related to acceptable payment for these GDVGCs. I'll try a different WM later, hopefully it was just an isolated glitch. Meanwhile, had no issues with loading prepaids and buying MOs with usual 4 swipes using SGCs.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Hysch

Got the same thing this morning at a WM that always worked. Tried several cc’s but system rejected automatically. This sucks, hopefully it is temporary.
good luck with getting the money back....it can happen to anyone of us here. I think rejecting CC payments for VGC is independent of VGC getting drained by scammers. Scammers keep trying to figure out card numbers regardless how they got paid for.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:19 pm

Re: WM GD VGCs no longer accepting credit: unfortunately confirmed.

After reading all the reports today I went to my go-to WM to purchase a GreenDot VGC. Both the cashier who I knew well and I were completely surprised when a test of one GD purchase failed. Cash or Debit only.

We can hope that this is only a glitch that is happening today, but as of now, WM no longer accepts CC for VGC.
Hysch likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:28 am

Is it only Green dot or even the regular sunnies ?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by digitalpop
Re: WM GD VGCs no longer accepting credit: unfortunately confirmed.

After reading all the reports today I went to my go-to WM to purchase a GreenDot VGC. Both the cashier who I knew well and I were completely surprised when a test of one GD purchase failed. Cash or Debit only.

We can hope that this is only a glitch that is happening today, but as of now, WM no longer accepts CC for VGC.
Confirming that my usual spot in the CLE area printed out cash or debit only on the gdot vgc.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Same thing in Southern CA for the GDVGCs; purchase worked fine on Monday and wouldn't go through today. Not the end of the world, but the extra $1/transaction compared to the Metas from Vons was nice to keep in my pocket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.