Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 12, 18, 12:36 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
Post on this topic before 2017 can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...almart-83.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 14, 18, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by druryvanek26 View Post
I have been trying to buy VGC locally but have been having issues using my Citi AA card. I first tried at Walmart (twice) to buy Green Dot $500 (+$4.94). The first time Citi texted me to ask if it was a valid charge. I replied yes but then tried again and it was still declined. The next day I tried at Walmart again and the card was declined (no mention from Citi at all). The cashier said only cash/debit. Finally, I just tried at Tops to buy a $500 metabank VGC. The terminal said "Not authorized". Tried multiple times. No mention from Citi. Logging in to Citi account there is no mention of fraud alert. Am I just having bad luck with stores that are hardcoding against using credit cards for VGC? Thanks!
Call Citi. Even after clearing the text/email fraud alerts I always have to call to clear the alert. Citi IT is worthless.
Old Mar 14, 18, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by cdog999 View Post
Those of you that had cards not activated/refunded you just need to be patient. Purchases post quickly but refunds usually take about a week. It happens.
Yes, I had this happen 2X at two different WMs, the credits are processed after about 5 days.
Old Mar 14, 18, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
I experienced GDVGCs that failed to load but my CC was charged. First one, I used MC for one that did not load. YV CSM told me to wait for 5 biz days for funds to be refunded to my card. By the 5th day, I saw the refund posted to the CC I used.The other time, the front end registers were all busy so a YV CSM led me to the register for pick up of online orders. Cashier told me I can pay for my items plus the 2 GDVGCs there, I did split of my TCB AGC for $9xx.xx and the rest paid with Visa 3%. After signature screen, receipt printed followed by a small piece of paper saying DEBIT NETWORK FAILED. Cashier must refund fees to customer. Ugh! YV CSM who told me to check out there tried to help me to no avail, they wouldn't scan 2 cards as replacement and since it was a Sunday, they told me to wait till funds go back to my card. I didn't get refund for the fees. CSM asked for my phone # so she can follow up with me if funds went back to my card(s). By Friday, I got a call from her telling me to get my cash refund from the Asst Manager as instructed by the cash manager. That turned out a better deal since my AGC rebate turned to cash w/o paying fees. I re-bought 2 GDVGCs with SPG card and that time it was successfully activated.
Have similar experience today using a DL card. Same error 14.
It went thru the signature screen but the receipt printed with 2 little chits followed. Cashier looked at the receipt and called a manager. Manager came and we looked at the receipt -
VOIDED ENTRY, Visa Payment $4,94-0,
VOIDED ENTRY, Amount (the GC number) $382.00-0,
AMEX TEND $386.94- Account (the AMEX card number in X with the last 4 showing).
Approval Refund. Change Due 0,00.

Essentially the whole transaction is VOIDED and the full amount, the fee and the load, are refunded to the AMEX DL, with approval, therefore Change due is 0.00.

The 2 little chits said the following card xxxxxxx can not be activated. Please note the amount of $386.94 will be credited back to credit account, This amount is equal to the value of the unauthorized card(s). We took the receipt and the 2 chits but of course the non-activated GC was left with the CS, presumably it would be put back to the rack.

CS YV insisted it was because only debit / cash can be used to pay for the GD. I am not sure if this is caused by cashier error (pressed debit by habit even though she knew it was CC as she asked for ID when I said it was CC. Her coworker who was more competent also said could be sold with CC with ID match.)

The GC in question is the one with colorful gift boxes on the cover if that makes any difference.

The last time we bought any Greendot was back in Dec. It was initially declined by the POS when a supervisor rang up the order. Then he asked if CC was used, and asked to see ID. After that the transaction sailed thru. Wish I have followed the WalMart GC thread more closely because we were not necessarily in need of the GD, just happened to be in the area and also in need of a GC, and we were working on the DL MSR. Ugh.

So most everyone who has this happened, sees the refund in about a week back to the CC used?

Do we have ideas whether it is more a cashier error or bad gc batches or POS changes?
2RETIREDTRAVELERS likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 14, 18 at 6:36 pm
Old Mar 16, 18, 7:19 am

The yellow TY cards with flowers work good for us. The Drop app sometimes pays out on GC purchases.
Old May 6, 18, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA,BA,UA,US,SPG
Happy-
We just had the same experience 2 days ago with a Barclays MC. Still no credit back. Were your charges reversed? How long did it take?

UPDATE- The credits were processed for us today 5/8 (original charge 5/3)

Last edited by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS; May 8, 18 at 6:21 pm Reason: update
Old May 6, 18, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS View Post
Happy-
We just had the same experience 2 days ago with a Barclays MC. Still no credit back. Were your charges reversed? How long did it take?
my experience(s) with failed debit load to GDVGC has been consistent with other reports where funds went back to CC. In one case I did using the TCB AGC prepaid rebate card, I received cash refund from the store AM and for whatever reasons the remaining balance I paid using a CC(<$20) was also refunded to me in cash.

I think in 5 days you'll see the refund posted to your CC account; if you don't see it in 7 business days, that is time to follow up.
2RETIREDTRAVELERS likes this.
Old May 12, 18, 6:41 pm
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Walmart $500 Visa Gift Cards

I saw that Walmart has the $500 VGC that have lower fees. Anyone has experience to use them with Serve? Or use them to buy money order from Walmart? I'm not sure if you can buy them with credit cards....
Old May 12, 18, 9:20 pm

Does anyone know if walmart VGC or sams club VGC can be bought using walmart gift card . I did this few years ago but havent tried this recently need to get rid of 500$ walmart GC
Old May 19, 18, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by recklessmax View Post
Does anyone know if walmart VGC or sams club VGC can be bought using walmart gift card .
Ah, now THOSE were the days.
Old May 20, 18, 10:23 am

At all of the Walmart stores I recently visited ( about 5?), they do not take CC for VGC. The register just won't let it go.
Old May 20, 18, 12:25 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
At all of the Walmart stores I recently visited ( about 5?), they do not take CC for VGC. The register just won't let it go.
did you try them at the MC?
Old May 20, 18, 12:32 pm

what VGCs were you buying? If vanillas and any of the reloadable prepaids(MVD,GDreloadable,Netspend, etc), they are hardcoded for cash for a long time now.
Old May 20, 18, 1:19 pm

I only want the gold color VGC by Green Dot. One cashier tore the tab and then told me that CC is not accepted. So I did not buy. The other cashier at another store said, do not even bother. It is CC only.

I can just buy the VGCs at grocery stores. They are just $1 more.
Old May 20, 18, 1:27 pm

I only want the gold color VGC by Green Dot. One cashier tore the tab and then told me that CC is not accepted. So I did not buy. The other cashier at another store said, do not even bother. It is CC only.
if that's the case, GDVGCs can still be bought with CCs at most WMs. It may just be WMs around you that have this policy. I am sure it's not yet hard coded at the register and if you swipe your CC with a cooperative cashier, it'll likely go through.
Old May 20, 18, 1:35 pm

I'm going to be more selective with the VGC purchases with the fact that I can always buy them online. The store staff treat us like money criminals. But it is still worth it if the % category is high. I maxed out my 5% grocery spending (more than $10,000) and need to find places for gas spending. Still need to find the right card for WM and try my luck at next store or cashier.

Search this Thread