Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 12, 18, 12:36 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
Post on this topic before 2017 can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...almart-83.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 22, 18, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hbax View Post
I had a similar experience. Bought the GC, it was approved, got the final "SIGNATURE ACCEPTED" screen which is always the completion of the transaction, but when the receipt printed out it said the transaction was reversed and the funds would be credited back to my CC account. So we did it again, same thing. I called the CC cs from the parking lot and they said they didn't deny anything. So after running a couple other errands, went back to WM and got a GC from the BACK of the stack, same GC, same CC, went right through. I think they may have a bad batch of newly stocked GCs, as all the hooks were very full.
I had same issue at WM. But my CC is charged and GC balance was not loaded.
The WM store accountant asked me to wait for 5 days to see manual reversal of transaction from corporate office.
Old Feb 27, 18, 9:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Bittersweet day for me at my go-to WMNM; I burned through the last “Baby” GD variable VGC today. The weird baby powder smell won’t be missed when opening the card packaging, but the $1 less per card fee compared to Vons and Ralph’s certainly will be. Asked a CSR about restocking the cards, she said they aren’t considered a priority and had no idea when more would come in stock. Oh well, at least the Monopoly promotion is going on right now at Vons/Safeway.
Old Mar 8, 18, 7:15 am

For those with the "debit denied" issue -- Any datapoints on how long it took for credit back to account to be processed? What's the predominant view as to cause, human error vs. bad batch of cards?
Old Mar 8, 18, 7:46 am

WM Visa Gift Card/Metabank data point-

I may be behind the curve. I took 2 months off from liquidating Staples Visa Gift Cards and then when I went to my local WM today where i had rarely had any problem I was told that "Gift/Debit" cards are no longer accepted. I asked for how long that had been in effect and she said recently. I will check out another WM this weekend.
Old Mar 8, 18, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
For those with the "debit denied" issue -- Any datapoints on how long it took for credit back to account to be processed? What's the predominant view as to cause, human error vs. bad batch of cards?
this just happened to us. After 1 normal purchase on 2nd one receipt says visa tend, went through then voided entry 2x on receipt followed by "reason 14 debit declined"

then a little slip of paper prints out that says the following GC card cannot be activated: XXXX then "please note that the amount of $ XXX.XX will be credited back to your Credit This amount is equal to the value of the unauthorized cards.

My card got charged so this morning went to the walmart and they told me to wait 7 days for the credit to return to my card. Today is the 5th day.
Old Mar 8, 18, 11:26 am

I had this happen twice in the same week at my go-to walmart. Both times they gave me cash, they know me very well though. The second time it happen I asked what could have caused the problem and she had no answer for me. Error was the same as the poster above me "reason 14 debit declined".

Another data point is I did do a split payment with Amex/Disc the first time and MC/Disc the second error. But when I split Amex/MC no error with the same VGC's a number of times. It could be a bad set of VGC's, my Disc card or something else.
Old Mar 8, 18, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by cuthroat View Post
I had this happen twice in the same week at my go-to walmart. Both times they gave me cash, they know me very well though. The second time it happen I asked what could have caused the problem and she had no answer for me. Error was the same as the poster above me "reason 14 debit declined".

Another data point is I did do a split payment with Amex/Disc the first time and MC/Disc the second error. But when I split Amex/MC no error with the same VGC's a number of times. It could be a bad set of VGC's, my Disc card or something else.
That's pretty incredible that they'd give you cash, when the sales receipt plainly says that your card will be credited back. You may be getting a windfall!
Old Mar 8, 18, 1:27 pm

That's pretty incredible that they'd give you cash, when the sales receipt plainly says that your card will be credited back. You may be getting a windfall!
I was surprised by getting cash to. Both charges ended up posting, but if they didn't it's not worth it to me to burn a great location for 2k.
Old Mar 8, 18, 1:41 pm

I was surprised by getting cash to. Both charges ended up posting, but if they didn't it's not worth it to me to burn a great location for 2k.
But the real question is: did you, or will you, get a credit back to your card? Everyone else with this problem seems to have received the credit after 5-7 days.
Old Mar 8, 18, 2:04 pm

But the real question is: did you, or will you, get a credit back to your card? Everyone else with this problem seems to have received the credit after 5-7 days.
First time was feb. 22nd second was feb. 23rd. So far no credit back to my card. I'll report back if I do end up with a credit.
Old Mar 8, 18, 3:29 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, TK, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton

I had a similar issue with paying for one GC with split payment of MC/MC, and then no problem with split payment of Visa/MC. Also no problem on non-split payment of Visa or MC.
The error was that GC failed to load (WM debit declined - reason 14), and they gave me cash.
Old Mar 8, 18, 5:40 pm

I experienced GDVGCs that failed to load but my CC was charged. First one, I used MC for one that did not load. YV CSM told me to wait for 5 biz days for funds to be refunded to my card. By the 5th day, I saw the refund posted to the CC I used.The other time, the front end registers were all busy so a YV CSM led me to the register for pick up of online orders. Cashier told me I can pay for my items plus the 2 GDVGCs there, I did split of my TCB AGC for $9xx.xx and the rest paid with Visa 3%. After signature screen, receipt printed followed by a small piece of paper saying DEBIT NETWORK FAILED. Cashier must refund fees to customer. Ugh! YV CSM who told me to check out there tried to help me to no avail, they wouldn't scan 2 cards as replacement and since it was a Sunday, they told me to wait till funds go back to my card. I didn't get refund for the fees. CSM asked for my phone # so she can follow up with me if funds went back to my card(s). By Friday, I got a call from her telling me to get my cash refund from the Asst Manager as instructed by the cash manager. That turned out a better deal since my AGC rebate turned to cash w/o paying fees. I re-bought 2 GDVGCs with SPG card and that time it was successfully activated.
Old Mar 9, 18, 5:55 am

update

Card that was charged with reason 14 debit declined was credited back today (day 6)
Old Mar 9, 18, 5:07 pm

Those of you that had cards not activated/refunded you just need to be patient. Purchases post quickly but refunds usually take about a week. It happens.
2RETIREDTRAVELERS likes this.
Old Mar 13, 18, 5:32 pm

I have been trying to buy VGC locally but have been having issues using my Citi AA card. I first tried at Walmart (twice) to buy Green Dot $500 (+$4.94). The first time Citi texted me to ask if it was a valid charge. I replied yes but then tried again and it was still declined. The next day I tried at Walmart again and the card was declined (no mention from Citi at all). The cashier said only cash/debit. Finally, I just tried at Tops to buy a $500 metabank VGC. The terminal said "Not authorized". Tried multiple times. No mention from Citi. Logging in to Citi account there is no mention of fraud alert. Am I just having bad luck with stores that are hardcoding against using credit cards for VGC? Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: