Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 12, 18, 12:36 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
Post on this topic before 2017 can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...almart-83.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 2, 18, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by SkippyME View Post
No problems for me today.
what kind of visa gc did you use? Thanks
Old Feb 15, 18, 8:44 pm
CDO
Suspended

Has anyone tried to use the self check-out lane to buy sunnies?
Old Feb 16, 18, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDO View Post
Has anyone tried to use the self check-out lane to buy sunnies?
tell me you are joking.
cruisr likes this.
Old Feb 17, 18, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I was in a Neighborhood market WM buying my 2 MO'... a guy ahead of me were buying all the VGCs in that store...about 40 of them. (so $20k) I bought 4 VGC yesterday in that store, I went to the shelf and all the VGCs are gone, apparently he took all of them.
Old Feb 18, 18, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by coolguy100 View Post
I was in a Neighborhood market WM buying my 2 MO'... a guy ahead of me were buying all the VGCs in that store...about 40 of them. (so $20k) I bought 4 VGC yesterday in that store, I went to the shelf and all the VGCs are gone, apparently he took all of them.
Sounds like you need to look for another WM soon lol
Old Feb 18, 18, 4:08 pm

WM System rejecting VGC purchases with CC?

Fellow travelers,

I just tried my weekly VGC purchase at Wal Mart. The transaction went through, but was then voided for only the VGC portion. I was able to walk out with the rest of my purchase.

The receipt says that the VGC portion will be credited back to my account. Also says debit declined, reason 14, and debit not approved call authoriser.

Amex app shows the full amount pending. I called Amex and they say it went through.

I've been in the game for a year and have never seen this. Please let me know what's up.
Old Feb 18, 18, 4:54 pm

Same problem

I haven't been able to buy VGC's at WM since before Christmas. They would always ask for cash or debit card for the VGC portion of the purchase.
Old Feb 18, 18, 5:33 pm

Thank you both for joining today and making your 1st post about the exact same issue.
Old Feb 18, 18, 5:41 pm

Not sure what the sarcasm is about. If this is a new thing, many people may be experiencing it. Just trying to get information from more experienced MSers, which is why I created an account to ask.
Old Feb 18, 18, 5:50 pm

There is a WM VGC thread in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...-2018-a-5.html
Old Feb 18, 18, 6:13 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Originally Posted by Tj702 View Post
Fellow travelers,

I just tried my weekly VGC purchase at Wal Mart. The transaction went through, but was then voided for only the VGC portion. I was able to walk out with the rest of my purchase.

The receipt says that the VGC portion will be credited back to my account. Also says debit declined, reason 14, and debit not approved call authoriser.

Amex app shows the full amount pending. I called Amex and they say it went through.

I've been in the game for a year and have never seen this. Please let me know what's up.
I have had the same thing happen at a neighborhood Wal-mart. Both times it happened, it was because the cashier pressed debit after inserting card. It would let every other purchase go through besides the gift cards. I started going to the money center part now to purchase them now and haven't encountered any problems since.
Old Feb 20, 18, 2:26 pm

Visa Foodie card at OH WM today charged sales tax on the fee. Bought 4 card and all charged the tax. Was surprised about this. Next time will grab a different VGC to see if its affecting all VGCs.
Old Feb 21, 18, 7:19 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by ray8888 View Post

what kind of visa gc did you use? Thanks
Sorry, I haven't been on here much lately. It was a Metabank VGC.
Old Feb 21, 18, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Tj702 View Post
Fellow travelers,

I had a similar experience. Bought the GC, it was approved, got the final "SIGNATURE ACCEPTED" screen which is always the completion of the transaction, but when the receipt printed out it said the transaction was reversed and the funds would be credited back to my CC account. So we did it again, same thing. I called the CC cs from the parking lot and they said they didn't deny anything. So after running a couple other errands, went back to WM and got a GC from the BACK of the stack, same GC, same CC, went right through. I think they may have a bad batch of newly stocked GCs, as all the hooks were very full.
Old Feb 22, 18, 9:16 am

So it must be a bad batch of VGC going around. I’ve just had a problem with the new baby blue with the birthday candles on it. My first time I seen them today. The first 3 went through fine (the older versions) and the last one said debit not available. They took the money from my card, I figured I’ll need to wait a few days to get the money returned to my card but they counted the drawer and just gave me cash.

Search this Thread