Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 12, 18, 12:36 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
Post on this topic before 2017 can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...almart-83.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 30, 17, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by yugi View Post
Called Chase, and it was a fraud alert. New account, blocked immediately. Took me 3 tries and 3 calls to Chase to finally able to buy something. Bought 1 VGC, will need to buy 3 more.
Trying to buy a bunch of vGCs with a brand new account probably isn't a great idea. Think about how that looks in their eyes. But at least you know what happened.
Old Apr 30, 17, 6:18 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, Priceline, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Wyndham, Hilton
Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
Trying to buy a bunch of vGCs with a brand new account probably isn't a great idea. Think about how that looks in their eyes. But at least you know what happened.
It's cleared now. I'll wait a bit more before buying more.
Old Apr 30, 17, 6:21 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, Priceline, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Wyndham, Hilton
Originally Posted by wrinkle7 View Post
Welcome! To the blacklist from Chase! You will receive your notice very soon, well done.
It's fine, happened before. I have total 8 cards from Chase.
Old May 2, 17, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrinkle7 View Post
Welcome! To the blacklist from Chase! You will receive your notice very soon, well done.
Not really. The fraud alert happens all the time till your card gets edumacated.
Old May 10, 17, 7:38 am

Just want to let folks know I just flew high at Wally yesterday on my Samsung.
Old May 10, 17, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
Just want to let folks know I just flew high at Wally yesterday on my Samsung.
nice
Old Jun 18, 17, 8:23 pm

Two different Walmarts declined to sell me a GCs, stating cash/debit only. Is this something new? Also is it possible to split tender when buying GCs? Walmart employees are usually very dumb and say that it's not possible.
Old Jun 18, 17, 9:03 pm

Two different Walmarts declined to sell me a GCs, stating cash/debit only. Is this something new? Also is it possible to split tender when buying GCs? Walmart employees are usually very dumb and say that it's not possible.
Largely based on individual store policy or whatever they make up at the time. Yes, you can split tender for MOs with GCs.
Old Jun 18, 17, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
Largely based on individual store policy or whatever they make up at the time. Yes, you can split tender for MOs with GCs.
Yeah, I know that. What about split tender when buying GCs?
Old Jun 19, 17, 9:41 am

Two of my goto Walmart stores stated GC are cash and debit only now as of last week. I know the CS reps well and could buy as many as I needed. The girls stated at both locations that in their meeting a wave of fraud has been going on in the area. I'm in central California. I even went 20 min out of my way and that Walmart had the same policy. I plan to let it die down for a few months and try again.
Old Jun 19, 17, 10:47 am

Yeah, I know that. What about split tender when buying GCs?
No different. WM POS system is WM POS system.
Old Jun 23, 17, 3:04 pm

My WM used to give me a hard time when buying them, so it is good to know you can buy a few cards at a time depending on the cashier. It sounds like you can liquidate at WM, so I will give them a try again. Thanks for the tips.

Update: I tried to buy 2 wonderw vgc from bancorp and a note printed out for the cashier stating cash or debit only. I might try another store.

Last edited by Travelz; Jun 26, 17 at 11:54 am
Old Jun 24, 17, 11:05 am

Anyone having activation issues today?
Old Jun 24, 17, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
Anyone having activation issues today?
Yes, the WM GDGCs failed to activate but what was odd was it went all the way asking me to sign and then a small piece of paper came out saying the cards didn't activate

Great! I'm glad the cashier gave me the receipt and small piece of paper stating the cards cannot be activated; now charges are pending on my card so I will keep an eye the next few days if charges will just fall off. X'ing my fingers since I do NOT want to go the dispute route.
Old Jun 27, 17, 5:45 am

VGC-deleted

Last edited by Travelz; Nov 2, 17 at 10:18 pm

Search this Thread