Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 12, 18, 12:36 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
Post on this topic before 2017 can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...almart-83.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Old May 14, 19, 4:23 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by abcpp View Post
There was no signs of tampering on the package itself but the card was mildly scratched, though, still readable. Maybe I just didn't inspect it close enough. It's weird.

GreenDot just decided to be a total jackass about refunds. Ok, will keep you posted about my dispute with Amex, CFPB, FDIC and Pasadena police. We'll see!
I learned hard way that any GC which is not "pristine" must be reported (for replacement) immediately. In the past I waited to do so, and had exactly the same experience. The issue was resolved by filing complaints with federal reserve. Now I liquidate all gcs from WM next day.
Old May 16, 19, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by abcpp View Post
There was no signs of tampering on the package itself but the card was mildly scratched, though, still readable. Maybe I just didn't inspect it close enough. It's weird.

GreenDot just decided to be a total jackass about refunds. Ok, will keep you posted about my dispute with Amex, CFPB, FDIC and Pasadena police. We'll see!
"the card was scratch" you meant the bar code/numbers was scratched or the magnetic strip?
Old May 19, 19, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston View Post
"the card was scratch" you meant the bar code/numbers was scratched or the magnetic strip?
The back panel: https://yadi.sk/i/RYISgdKP1cZEtQ
Old Jun 13, 19, 12:12 am

, how do i cash out a vanilla mastercard gift card from walmart? i cant add it to venmo or even buy money order at walmart with it as keep saying tender not allowed.

also what does sunnie mean?
Old Jun 13, 19, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by mickchanning View Post
, how do i cash out a vanilla mastercard gift card from walmart? i cant add it to venmo or even buy money order at walmart with it as keep saying tender not allowed.
?
Unfortunately, you can't liquidate Vanilla's at WM.
Old Jun 13, 19, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103 View Post
Unfortunately, you can't liquidate Vanilla's at WM.
then what can i do my vanilla card? i need the funds to pay the chase SR credit card i bought it with

Last edited by mickchanning; Jun 13, 19 at 3:44 pm Reason: add
Old Jun 13, 19, 6:27 pm

then what can i do my vanilla card? i need the funds to pay the chase SR credit card i bought it with
Sell it on Craigslist
Old Jun 14, 19, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Chelski View Post

Sell it on Craigslist
can i use it to add funds to bluebird, or start a new bank account with it? i rather not lose value
Old Jun 14, 19, 7:10 am

can i use it to add funds to bluebird, or start a new bank account with it? i rather not lose value
Unfortunately, you can not use Vanilla's to load Bluebirds, either. I haven't purchased Vanilla's in years, given their difficulty to liquidate. Hopefully, somebody will have a solution for you that I am unaware of.
Old Jun 14, 19, 7:45 am

IME just a few months ago, I was able to drain vanilla to BB, there wasn't even a prompt to enter PIN; I've read others were able to do it also athough it was hit n miss with only a few WMs in an area allowing it. Then that window was closed so keep on trying and who knows your WM still allows it?!

Check grocery stores around you that sell MO and ask if they'll take debit (DON'T say gc) as payment. Best to drain one VGC at a time to avoid complications. GL
cuthroat and shadow520 like this.
Old Jun 14, 19, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
IME just a few months ago, I was able to drain vanilla to BB, there wasn't even a prompt to enter PIN; I've read others were able to do it also athough it was hit n miss with only a few WMs in an area allowing it. Then that window was closed so keep on trying and who knows your WM still allows it?!

Check grocery stores around you that sell MO and ask if they'll take debit (DON'T say gc) as payment. Best to drain one VGC at a time to avoid complications. GL
Old Jun 14, 19, 11:45 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
you seem to be new to this hobby. dont MS if you cant float the GC purchases for a few months. Even with a non vanilla card, there could be issues with stolen cards or what ever and it could take a while to get a replacement.
Old Jun 25, 19, 9:05 am

Amex Aspire MS - Gift Card

I've been reading that Amex will deny bonuses/clawback points/close accounts if they think you are trying to use gift cards to meet minimum spend requirements and thus, one should not use Gift Card Mall or places that only sell gift cards to try to meet these requirements.

What about buying VGC from Walmart and then liquidating? If I bought a $500 VGC and a pack of gum (so the transaction total isn't the exact amount of the VGC + fee), would that trigger this in their system and cause me to have an issue with my bonus?

I'm trying to meet minimum spend requirements for the Amex Hilton Aspire card. Is there a better recommended method?
Old Jun 25, 19, 12:37 pm

See below. Accidentally press reply rather than quote.

Cheers!
Old Jun 25, 19, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by njsalazar View Post
I've been reading that Amex will deny bonuses/clawback points/close accounts if they think you are trying to use gift cards to meet minimum spend requirements and thus, one should not use Gift Card Mall or places that only sell gift cards to try to meet these requirements.

What about buying VGC from Walmart and then liquidating? If I bought a $500 VGC and a pack of gum (so the transaction total isn't the exact amount of the VGC + fee), would that trigger this in their system and cause me to have an issue with my bonus?

I'm trying to meet minimum spend requirements for the Amex Hilton Aspire card. Is there a better recommended method?

Per earlier in this thread, CC companies have the ability to view what you bought if they so choose (i.e. you buy three things at the store. They know that you bought vgc, eggs, and milk). That being said, I have purchased around $3800 in VGC this year and I am still chugging along. Personally, I think this is going to be different for each user given that CC companies are going to target different users differently for spending.

Search this Thread