Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Post on this topic before 2017 can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1520316-visa-gc-walmart-83.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by asot550
Can anyone provide dp on whether the hard coded cash/debit on green dot vgc also extends to vanilla vgc? I've purchased vanilla vgc post register update, but it wasn't at my normal store so I don't know if the store I purchased the vanilla card was just behind on its register update.
you must have a 'unicorn' regular WM because vanilla GCs have been hardcoded for cash/debit at most, if not all SCs and NMs for years now. It was only the sunnies and gd VGCs that they allowed to be bought with CC until the last week of July when it was hardcoded for cash/debit as well.

I got the chance to talk to the SM of one of my go-to WMs (I've known him since he was AM) and I asked if he knew why the GDs are now only cash/debit? He said it came from corporate and they'll be having a meeting in Denver in the coming days and he will definitely ask about it. I told him his store would be losing a lot of revenues on the fees on GDVGC now that people can't buy them with CCs. He said he'd let me know when he comes back.
liw5215 and Clueless12 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
you must have a 'unicorn' regular WM because vanilla GCs have been hardcoded for cash/debit at most, if not all SCs and NMs for years now. It was only the sunnies and gd VGCs that they allowed to be bought with CC until the last week of July when it was hardcoded for cash/debit as well.

I got the chance to talk to the SM of one of my go-to WMs (I've known him since he was AM) and I asked if he knew why the GDs are now only cash/debit? He said it came from corporate and they'll be having a meeting in Denver in the coming days and he will definitely ask about it. I told him his store would be losing a lot of revenues on the fees on GDVGC now that people can't buy them with CCs. He said he'd let me know when he comes back.
I concur... Vanilla GCs at Walmarts have been hardcoded for many years to be cash/debit only. If you were truly able to buy one with CC, I am quite surprised and you must have found a lucky unicorn WM.

Thanks for the info MamiBear! Please keep us posted with any information you hear from the SM.. I'm quite interested to know the reasoning behind this cash/debit-only GD VGC change, as well as any other future change considerations.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:29 pm

I was able to buy 4 GD VGC's with a CC at a local DFW area NM today.
pointsaholic likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:13 pm

i was able to buy Happy birthday VGC in south FL today. This is first time iam buying vgc from walmart NM after long time.

So is these HB VGC and GD vgc are same ? or is it 2 different products ?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
i was able to buy Happy birthday VGC in south FL today. This is first time iam buying vgc from walmart NM after long time.

So is these HB VGC and GD vgc are same ? or is it 2 different products ?
Look on the card, it should say issued by greendot. If it says that then it's a gdot version...
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:35 pm

Look on the card, it should say issued by greendot. If it says that then it's a gdot version...
oh it looks like gdot version. So does it mean this store hasnt got the update to stop using CC ?

And what happened to sunnies , i used to buy those long back ,is it completely gone ?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
oh it looks like gdot version. So does it mean this store hasnt got the update to stop using CC ?

And what happened to sunnies , i used to buy those long back ,is it completely gone ?
appears that ur store hasn't got the system change or update yet; if not, it'll be good for u or folks around there

other than WM's, only HEB that i know of has the same fee but it's a vanilla... anyone knows if vanilla vgc can be loaded to amex serve vip or green? Thx
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:44 am
Suspended

BAU in the PNW
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by Mamibear

Good information. Sometimes the big box store chain plays hardball with vendors to get better terms or better products (less vulnerable in this case?). If the cards are not a vast problem for real customers (no problems that occur before the sale, either from inside distribution or otherwise, then rather than them annihilating basically all sales of these (no one uses cash for these 500s or it looks even more suspicious = real ML) why not just require ID to use your cc (names must match) just like other regulated items like alcohol? Using a nuke to kill a fly is unproductive.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:53 am

So I went on a liquidation run this past weekend and tried to buy gdot at all 5 of the wmt sc that I visited. Of the 5, only one was not hard-coded at the register.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:13 pm

So I went on a liquidation run this past weekend and tried to buy gdot at all 5 of the wmt sc that I visited. Of the 5, only one was not hard-coded at the register.
What part of the country are you in?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:24 pm

same for me. all except one were dead. not sure how long this unicorn will live. in the Heartland of USA.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by knopfler
What part of the country are you in?
Ohio
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
are folks still able to buy GDVGC with cc in some stores?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum

this is new to me.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.