Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards)

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 12, 18, 12:36 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
Post on this topic before 2017 can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...almart-83.html


Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 2, 18, 3:45 pm
  #166  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,699
Originally Posted by asot550 View Post
Can anyone provide dp on whether the hard coded cash/debit on green dot vgc also extends to vanilla vgc? I've purchased vanilla vgc post register update, but it wasn't at my normal store so I don't know if the store I purchased the vanilla card was just behind on its register update.
you must have a 'unicorn' regular WM because vanilla GCs have been hardcoded for cash/debit at most, if not all SCs and NMs for years now. It was only the sunnies and gd VGCs that they allowed to be bought with CC until the last week of July when it was hardcoded for cash/debit as well.

I got the chance to talk to the SM of one of my go-to WMs (I've known him since he was AM) and I asked if he knew why the GDs are now only cash/debit? He said it came from corporate and they'll be having a meeting in Denver in the coming days and he will definitely ask about it. I told him his store would be losing a lot of revenues on the fees on GDVGC now that people can't buy them with CCs. He said he'd let me know when he comes back.
liw5215 and Clueless12 like this.
Mamibear is offline  
Old Aug 2, 18, 4:57 pm
  #167  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
you must have a 'unicorn' regular WM because vanilla GCs have been hardcoded for cash/debit at most, if not all SCs and NMs for years now. It was only the sunnies and gd VGCs that they allowed to be bought with CC until the last week of July when it was hardcoded for cash/debit as well.

I got the chance to talk to the SM of one of my go-to WMs (I've known him since he was AM) and I asked if he knew why the GDs are now only cash/debit? He said it came from corporate and they'll be having a meeting in Denver in the coming days and he will definitely ask about it. I told him his store would be losing a lot of revenues on the fees on GDVGC now that people can't buy them with CCs. He said he'd let me know when he comes back.
I concur... Vanilla GCs at Walmarts have been hardcoded for many years to be cash/debit only. If you were truly able to buy one with CC, I am quite surprised and you must have found a lucky unicorn WM.

Thanks for the info MamiBear! Please keep us posted with any information you hear from the SM.. I'm quite interested to know the reasoning behind this cash/debit-only GD VGC change, as well as any other future change considerations.
digitalpop is offline  
Old Aug 2, 18, 7:29 pm
  #168  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 569
I was able to buy 4 GD VGC's with a CC at a local DFW area NM today.
pointsaholic likes this.
knopfler is offline  
Old Aug 2, 18, 8:13 pm
  #169  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 445
i was able to buy Happy birthday VGC in south FL today. This is first time iam buying vgc from walmart NM after long time.

So is these HB VGC and GD vgc are same ? or is it 2 different products ?
kingofkingsforu is offline  
Old Aug 2, 18, 8:28 pm
  #170  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu View Post
i was able to buy Happy birthday VGC in south FL today. This is first time iam buying vgc from walmart NM after long time.

So is these HB VGC and GD vgc are same ? or is it 2 different products ?
Look on the card, it should say issued by greendot. If it says that then it's a gdot version...
asot550 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 18, 11:35 pm
  #171  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by asot550 View Post
Look on the card, it should say issued by greendot. If it says that then it's a gdot version...
oh it looks like gdot version. So does it mean this store hasnt got the update to stop using CC ?

And what happened to sunnies , i used to buy those long back ,is it completely gone ?
kingofkingsforu is offline  
Old Aug 3, 18, 5:41 pm
  #172  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 674
Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu View Post
oh it looks like gdot version. So does it mean this store hasnt got the update to stop using CC ?

And what happened to sunnies , i used to buy those long back ,is it completely gone ?
appears that ur store hasn't got the system change or update yet; if not, it'll be good for u or folks around there

other than WM's, only HEB that i know of has the same fee but it's a vanilla... anyone knows if vanilla vgc can be loaded to amex serve vip or green? Thx
danhouston is offline  
Old Aug 5, 18, 10:44 am
  #173  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 233
BAU in the PNW
EL3V3N is offline  
Old Aug 5, 18, 1:59 pm
  #174  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midwest U.S.A
Posts: 1,395
Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
you must have a 'unicorn' regular WM because vanilla GCs have been hardcoded for cash/debit at most, if not all SCs and NMs for years now. It was only the sunnies and gd VGCs that they allowed to be bought with CC until the last week of July when it was hardcoded for cash/debit as well.

I got the chance to talk to the SM of one of my go-to WMs (I've known him since he was AM) and I asked if he knew why the GDs are now only cash/debit? He said it came from corporate and they'll be having a meeting in Denver in the coming days and he will definitely ask about it. I told him his store would be losing a lot of revenues on the fees on GDVGC now that people can't buy them with CCs. He said he'd let me know when he comes back.

Good information. Sometimes the big box store chain plays hardball with vendors to get better terms or better products (less vulnerable in this case?). If the cards are not a vast problem for real customers (no problems that occur before the sale, either from inside distribution or otherwise, then rather than them annihilating basically all sales of these (no one uses cash for these 500s or it looks even more suspicious = real ML) why not just require ID to use your cc (names must match) just like other regulated items like alcohol? Using a nuke to kill a fly is unproductive.
Churnman is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 8:53 am
  #175  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 116
So I went on a liquidation run this past weekend and tried to buy gdot at all 5 of the wmt sc that I visited. Of the 5, only one was not hard-coded at the register.
asot550 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 1:13 pm
  #176  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 569
Originally Posted by asot550 View Post
So I went on a liquidation run this past weekend and tried to buy gdot at all 5 of the wmt sc that I visited. Of the 5, only one was not hard-coded at the register.
What part of the country are you in?
knopfler is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 1:24 pm
  #177  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by asot550 View Post
So I went on a liquidation run this past weekend and tried to buy gdot at all 5 of the wmt sc that I visited. Of the 5, only one was not hard-coded at the register.
same for me. all except one were dead. not sure how long this unicorn will live. in the Heartland of USA.
liw5215 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 4:06 pm
  #178  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
What part of the country are you in?
Ohio
asot550 is offline  
Old Aug 12, 18, 3:01 pm
  #179  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Posts: 373
are folks still able to buy GDVGC with cc in some stores?
coolguy100 is offline  
Old Aug 12, 18, 9:52 pm
  #180  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Posts: 373




this is new to me.....
coolguy100 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread