Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Post on this topic before 2017 can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1520316-visa-gc-walmart-83.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:15 am
CDO
Suspended

Can you self checkout sunnies?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:43 am
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDO
Can you self checkout sunnies?
I wasnt able to and ymmv in regular checkout lane.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:51 pm

No GCs (fixed value or variable) except WM GCs, can be bought at SCO. You have to ask SCO attendant to ring them up at the SCO front register.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:12 am

I got a bum WM GC. I checked the balance by phone in the parking lot, and it kept saying "invalid number", so I went to the website, same thing. I tried to report it by phone, but it said "invalid number", and you can't enter a lost, stolen, whatever report, without the correct number.

The receipt states, "no in-store refunds" and "call 866 633 9096 for refunds", but the system won't recognize the number.

Catch 22.

Would my only route be returning to the store and demanding an exchange ?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:26 am

check again in 30 min to an hour; had the same experience and was resolved 30 min after time of purchase. My initial plan was to buy MO but decided to pay my WM CC in case it still won't work. I'm glad it did but if this is another speed bump to draining WM GD visas, will stick to SMGCS from now on.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:40 pm

edit
Just got a call back and it sounds like the store manager will be able to process a refund for me tomorrow morning.

Bought two greendot variables at wmt yesterday, and on the receipt it said that one of the cards couldn't be activated. No biggie, a supervisor and I cross-referenced the two cards with the barcode that was listed as not activated, they kept the unactivated card while I kept the other, and then I left. Later that night I got home and checked the card to make sure it was loaded, and the card wasn't activated. Fml.

Turns out, the card that the supervisor kept had actually been scanned twice, and the card I had was never scanned at all! So the card was activated then the second "activation" failed which is why the receipt printed the failure.

I went back this afternoon and luckily the same supervisor was there and remembered me. They didn't have the original card, and they weren't sure what to do but they called a few people and left messages. I left my name and number and they said they'd call me once they heard back.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? What's the best course of action since neither party has the actual card number, expiration, and security code? I only have the unique barcode from the back.

Last edited by asot550; Jun 13, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
check again in 30 min to an hour; had the same experience and was resolved 30 min after time of purchase.
Purchase was Tue early afternoon. Waited until this morning to post.

My initial plan was to buy MO but decided to pay my WM CC in case it still won't work. I'm glad it did but if this is another speed bump to draining WM GD visas, will stick to SMGCS from now on.
I've had very few issues with WM GCs. Normally quite reliable.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by Whittaker
I've had very few issues with WM GCs. Normally quite reliable.
Normally yes, but the new batch of GDVGCs that were finally restocked at my local WMNM will not activate at all. I've tried to by 3 different cards on 3 separate grocery trips and every time the cashier (different person every time) can't get the card to activate. Looks like it's back to Von's and the extra $1/card...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:02 pm

Son of a @#$&@ !

Just for kicks, I checked the card last night, and it recognized it and showed a $500 balance. Only 32 hours after purchase.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:26 pm

Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by asot550
edit
Just got a call back and it sounds like the store manager will be able to process a refund for me tomorrow morning.

Bought two greendot variables at wmt yesterday, and on the receipt it said that one of the cards couldn't be activated. No biggie, a supervisor and I cross-referenced the two cards with the barcode that was listed as not activated, they kept the unactivated card while I kept the other, and then I left. Later that night I got home and checked the card to make sure it was loaded, and the card wasn't activated. Fml.

Turns out, the card that the supervisor kept had actually been scanned twice, and the card I had was never scanned at all! So the card was activated then the second "activation" failed which is why the receipt printed the failure.

I went back this afternoon and luckily the same supervisor was there and remembered me. They didn't have the original card, and they weren't sure what to do but they called a few people and left messages. I left my name and number and they said they'd call me once they heard back.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? What's the best course of action since neither party has the actual card number, expiration, and security code? I only have the unique barcode from the back.
Went back the second day and "the machine was broken" that processes the refunds so I had to go back again today. Had to re-explain to the store manager and half way through he excused himself. Few minutes later a floor manager (yellow vest, not sure what their official title is) came over and explained to her. She took my receipt and license into the back, then few minutes later came out and gave me cash as a refund for the whole $1009.88. The receipt said that $504.94 was going to be refunded to my amex so I think they over-refunded me, I pointed that out and said if half the charge gets refunded to my card I'll come back to return it. Doesn't seem to be any other issue.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:32 pm

The case above is proof that there are stores that require you to go back to get your refund, this directive may be coming from the WM GreenDot Visa department. Those who are traveling to unknown territories should be aware of current issues with GD VGCs so there will be no surprises when you're asked to go back to the store you bought the 'problematic GDVGCs'. I don't know how or if they'll process the refund if one can't go back to store. Forewarned is forearmed.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:05 pm
CDO
Suspended

Son of a @#$&@ !

Just for kicks, I checked the card last night, and it recognized it and showed a $500 balance. Only 32 hours after purchase.
For me i always had it return to the debit card instantly...
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Son of a @#$&@ !

I ran into the same situation too....half an hour after purchase, checked the balance on https://www.walmartgift.com
and got "invalid gift card information.........". I tried private window of Firefox and it shows $500 balance. so need to either call or use private mode of web browser to find out it the card has been activated or not.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by coolguy100
I ran into the same situation too....half an hour after purchase, checked the balance on https://www.walmartgift.com
and got "invalid gift card information.........". I tried private window of Firefox and it shows $500 balance. so need to either call or use private mode of web browser to find out it the card has been activated or not.
I've made two separate purchases since my local WM restocked the GDVGCs; first one took an hour to activate, second card (7/2/2018) took about 15 minutes. Still taking longer than the "old" batch, but not worrisome given the lack of reported fraud on the GDs vs the USBs from Ralphs in SoCal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.