Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Post on this topic before 2017 can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1520316-visa-gc-walmart-83.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
Is walmart neighborhood still considered as grocery for amex edp / new prg ?
Typically codes as general merchandise but YMMV
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:04 pm

If the local WM allows me to use my cc for a Green Dot VGC, will it allow me to earn points from using any cards such as the Amex Gold card or even a capitalone/chase?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Newfamshire
If the local WM allows me to use my cc for a Green Dot VGC, will it allow me to earn points from using any cards such as the Amex Gold card or even a capitalone/chase?
WM doesn’t care or control whether or not you get points from CCs. You might want to go back and start reading posts from 6 months ago until you’re up tp date. Also check out Reddit churning, Doctor of Credit, Frequent Miler, etc before getting in too deep.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Any experience with this? I bought 3 gdots from a today WMNM and 1 of the 3 worked fine, but the other 2 didn't, and when I try to check the balance using the 1800 number, it says "this is not a valid gift card" and to go back to the place you purchased it. Anybody have any experience dealing with this? My first thought was activation lag, but since 1 of the 3 worked I don't see why the other 2 wouldn't.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Any experience with this? I bought 3 gdots from a today WMNM and 1 of the 3 worked fine, but the other 2 didn't, and when I try to check the balance using the 1800 number, it says "this is not a valid gift card" and to go back to the place you purchased it. Anybody have any experience dealing with this? My first thought was activation lag, but since 1 of the 3 worked I don't see why the other 2 wouldn't.
check the WM receipt to be sure that the other 2 show approved/activated similar to the 1 that worked
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danhouston
check the WM receipt to be sure that the other 2 show approved/activated similar to the 1 that worked
They were. Seems like there was some glitch for a while today, because checking within the last hour they seem to be working, checking via both the website and the 1800 number.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Can you buy Greendot VGC with Vanilla VGC at WM?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:48 am

Is the GD VGC issue still a thing and spreading? I was able to buy $1k in GD VGCs at my local WM day before yesterday, no issues.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:33 pm

Recently purchased 4 gd VGCs and one did not seem to be properly loaded/activated. Looking at the receipt, it says "WM debit declined - reason 77". When balance checking online, it gives the message "Your Gift Card was deprecated." Not sure what to do to get refund. Wife (who initially made the purchase) went in and didn't have any luck with the CSRs. Called the number on the card, automated system. I have had this issue once before (1 of 4 not loading/activating), but the register seemed to recognize it and automatically kicked out the cash drawer for a refund at the time of purchase. I think it was the same issue b/c i held onto that card just to see what the deal was and remember seeing the same error number and same message on the check balance site.

Any help is appreciated!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by j_diggs
Recently purchased 4 gd VGCs and one did not seem to be properly loaded/activated. Looking at the receipt, it says "WM debit declined - reason 77". When balance checking online, it gives the message "Your Gift Card was deprecated." Not sure what to do to get refund. Wife (who initially made the purchase) went in and didn't have any luck with the CSRs. Called the number on the card, automated system. I have had this issue once before (1 of 4 not loading/activating), but the register seemed to recognize it and automatically kicked out the cash drawer for a refund at the time of purchase. I think it was the same issue b/c i held onto that card just to see what the deal was and remember seeing the same error number and same message on the check balance site.

Any help is appreciated!
Funds should be returned to credit card within 3-4 days (I'm assuming you purchased with a CC). Not uncommon. I had funds show up on my CC this am from 4 declined cards in a sunday buy.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:54 pm

Looked back and you are correct! Thanks so much
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by cflchurn
To answer your question, yes. However, it seems that purchasing GDVGCs with CC is now dead. There were widespread reports that the registers are hard coded against it.
What does this show up as in practice? I went to my usual spot yesterday with a brand new cash magnet card and tried to do $1k in VGCs with some other groceries and it immediately refunded the VGCs when I paid. It accepted the card for the groceries, it just automatically removed and refunded the VGCs, with "reason: 05" next to the refund.

Update: These were just not activated. Once I let it refund, I went in again to the same store with the same card and it worked fine.

Last edited by taxquestion332123; Apr 26, 2019 at 3:57 pm Reason: update
Old May 13, 2019, 3:24 pm

GC refund denied

PSA:
Had an interesting experience with GreenDot. Bought 2 gift cards (Happy birthday) in March but didn't touch them until April. One card didn't work. So I went online and checked, created account. Obviously, it was drained in the beginning of April. Arghh.

So I filed a dispute with GreenDot. Send all paperwork. Today they told me that my dispute was denied because I "created account after the card was used". What??? How's that even related? I have to create a card account online and that's the only way to make sure it wouldn't be emptied? Are they for real?

Went ahead and filed charge dispute with Amex, will see how it goes.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by abcpp
PSA:
Had an interesting experience with GreenDot. Bought 2 gift cards (Happy birthday) in March but didn't touch them until April. One card didn't work. So I went online and checked, created account. Obviously, it was drained in the beginning of April. Arghh.

So I filed a dispute with GreenDot. Send all paperwork. Today they told me that my dispute was denied because I "created account after the card was used". What??? How's that even related? I have to create a card account online and that's the only way to make sure it wouldn't be emptied? Are they for real?

Went ahead and filed charge dispute with Amex, will see how it goes.
I guess you can check the balance by calling? Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Were there any signs of tampering?
Old May 13, 2019, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
I guess you can check the balance by calling? Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Were there any signs of tampering?
There was no signs of tampering on the package itself but the card was mildly scratched, though, still readable. Maybe I just didn't inspect it close enough. It's weird.

GreenDot just decided to be a total jackass about refunds. Ok, will keep you posted about my dispute with Amex, CFPB, FDIC and Pasadena police. We'll see!

Last edited by abcpp; May 13, 2019 at 10:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.