Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Has anybody ever heard of a 401k being shut down for MS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Hi everybody, I started doing MS on my Fidelity Visa 2% card last week. I just realized I have my employer 401k with Fidelity. Is there a risk my 401k account would get shut down if my Fidelity card gets shut down? I'm thinking now that I should apply for the Citi Doublecash card and use that instead.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
Originally Posted by Mayday924
Hi everybody, I started doing MS on my Fidelity Visa 2% card last week. I just realized I have my employer 401k with Fidelity. Is there a risk my 401k account would get shut down if my Fidelity card gets shut down? I'm thinking now that I should apply for the Citi Doublecash card and use that instead.
I do not know about shutdown of a 401K account.

Instead of wasting a pull for citi double cash (which has no sign on bonus), you can consider doing a product change if you have any other citi card that is 12 or more months old.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:44 pm

I've only heard reports of people's 401k that is still fine after CC and deposit accts were shutdown by same bank (though not sure I've heard that for Fidelity specifically). I imagine the rules are a little different with a company sponsored 401k and they can't easily shut down an individual (and probably have no motivation to anyway). Now if you have other individual Fidelity accounts (brokerage, etc.) those may not be as safe.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rambo
I do not know about shutdown of a 401K account.

Instead of wasting a pull for citi double cash (which has no sign on bonus), you can consider doing a product change if you have any other citi card that is 12 or more months old.
Thanks for the reply. I have a Citi card but it's only 8 months old. My goal was to try and MS s much cash back just going to CVS and doing 2k a day. After all fees and expenses I would get around $420 a month. But I don't want to jeopardize any of my brokerage accounts.

Last edited by Mayday924; Feb 20, 2017 at 9:04 pm
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
I've only heard reports of people's 401k that is still fine after CC and deposit accts were shutdown by same bank (though not sure I've heard that for Fidelity specifically). I imagine the rules are a little different with a company sponsored 401k and they can't easily shut down an individual (and probably have no motivation to anyway). Now if you have other individual Fidelity accounts (brokerage, etc.) those may not be as safe.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I'd rather not lose my individual brokerage account. I will apply for the Citi Doublecash card.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:50 pm

They shut down my checking and IRAs but 401k is still kicking. Don't worry about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.