Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay off Credit Card with Money Order?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Pay off Credit Card with Money Order?

I know this must have been answered a million times over, but haven't found it by searching the forums.

Is it fine to pay my Capital One Venture credit card bill via money order, as long as I don't make a habit of it?

I used Plastiq to make a mortgage payment by credit card, with the idea that I would then pay off the credit card with the money in my bank account. However, the Plastiq payment never arrived (it's still out there, somewhere), causing me to have to drain my bank account to cover the mortgage.

Meanwhile, the credit card payment is coming due, and the only money left to pay it is in cash. I want to avoid depositing the cash to my bank account. The only option left is to send a money order to Capital One before the card due date. Does this raise any red flags? All of my other payments to them have been online via my bank account.

Thanks for humoring my paranoid noob posts! Everyone has been helpful and really great!

Last edited by abeautifulday365; Feb 19, 2017 at 6:32 am
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: Several dozen
No definitive answer - it may or it may not. Each institution has its own tolerance toward money orders. One time may be safe, but repeated times much less so.

Originally Posted by abeautifulday365
I know this must have been answered a million times over, but haven't found it by searching the forums.

Is it fine to pay my credit card bill via money order, as long as I don't make a habit of it?

I used Plastiq to make a mortgage payment by credit card, with the idea that I would then pay off the credit card with the money in my bank account. However, the Plastiq payment never arrived (it's still out there, somewhere), causing me to have to drain my bank account to cover the mortgage.

Meanwhile, the credit card payment is coming due, and the only money left to pay it is in cash. I want to avoid depositing the cash to my bank account. The only option left is to send a money order to my credit card company before the card due date. Does this raise any red flags? All of my other payments have been online via my bank account.

Thanks for humoring my paranoid noob posts! Everyone has been helpful and really great!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you, AlohaDaveKennedy! I did think that I had read in my research that multiple money order payments were frowned upon, but wasn't quite sure.

I should have added that the card is with Capital One, in case anyone has experience making money order payments to them, so I'm going to go back and insert that into the original post.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:59 am

I've never mailed a MO for credit card payment.

For my Chase CCs, I usually pay in branch.

Someone mentioned about some bank 'losing' a MO because it's done by a machine and machine is wxpecting only 1 check. Sorry, cant rememner who posted and what bank.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:15 am
Original Poster

I'm WAS wondering about whether MOs get lost, lumangoy! I sent two of them to Synchrony bank (separate envelopes for 2 separate store accounts) and am beginning to wonder what became of them. The payments should have already posted, but haven't, and that might be two more bills I have to pay out of my checking account.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by abeautifulday365

Is it fine to pay my Capital One Venture credit card bill via money order, as long as I don't make a habit of it?

Meanwhile, the credit card payment is coming due, and the only money left to pay it is in cash. I want to avoid depositing the cash to my bank account. The only option left is to send a money order to Capital One before the card due date. Does this raise any red flags? All of my other payments to them have been online via my bank account.

You can use cash for Billpay at WM. I've only paid chase accounts that way, but surely you can find DPs re Cap One on FT.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
You can use cash for Billpay at WM. I've only paid chase accounts that way, but surely you can find DPs re Cap One on FT.
Can you use cash for billpay for AMEX bills?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:23 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis

I though using WM bill pay was a way to get shutdown by chase?

Citi hates MOs in branch.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by frank_10b

I haven't used BP this past month, but paid 4 Chase cards routinely with BP for two years. CSP, Freedom, Ink, CSR. But yes some have been shutdown. I'm going to lay off for this reason. But paying Cap One once seems reasonable.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:58 am
jyx

Do you have a mortgage? it seems to be safer to pay mortgage with MO than pay credit card.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by frank_10b

Plenty of DPs in the Chase shutdown thread of people suspecting that WM billpay was the culprit in their axing.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:01 pm
soy

Programs: various
How about risk with part paying (non MS) CC via MO, say use a $1k MO, then pay the balance via ACH.
That should be less risky unless the bank is just a flat out MO 'hater'?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by soy
Unless the bank is just a flat out MO 'hater'?
This phrase totally cracked me up. I get the stink eye when I deposit MOs.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:48 am
Original Member

I know I am still in the minority on this, but I have to have sent well over $1 million in money orders to pay credit card bills in the last many years, particularly when MSing was in its heyday and the UFB debit card worked for this. I opened a lot of $5,000 CDs (not available as a technique any more) with credit cards and paid them with money orders from the UFB debit card. One money order per envelope. Got a call from Chase saying to stop, but no closure (but this was after God knows how many money orders). So don't freak out over mailing a few money orders. I still do it now with AMEX Blue Cash and Discover IT, with no problems. I just prefer to keep money order deposits out of my bank accounts.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Andy2
I know I am still in the minority on this, but I have to have sent well over $1 million in money orders to pay credit card bills in the last many years, particularly when MSing was in its heyday and the UFB debit card worked for this. I opened a lot of $5,000 CDs (not available as a technique any more) with credit cards and paid them with money orders from the UFB debit card. One money order per envelope. Got a call from Chase saying to stop, but no closure (but this was after God knows how many money orders). So don't freak out over mailing a few money orders. I still do it now with AMEX Blue Cash and Discover IT, with no problems. I just prefer to keep money order deposits out of my bank accounts.
I have been paying Chase, Citi, Barclaycard, US Bank, Amex and others Credit Cards with MO for years too. Not as much as you have $$$, but also never had a problem, even when sending 3 MO in one envelope to Amex or 2 MO in one envelope to Barclays (although Barclays tells you in the statement only to send max of 1 check per envelope). Others I go pay in branch, as it is way easier than mailing them. I have never deposit a MO into one of my accounts and I am not planning on doing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.