Wiki Posts
Search

So what if you can't get a credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, COPA Connectmiles, numerous others
So what if you can't get a credit card?

While the best way to earn miles is obviously with credit cards, what do you do if you've had issues that prevent you from getting one?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by Starztravel
While the best way to earn miles is obviously with credit cards, what do you do if you've had issues that prevent you from getting one?
Maybe fly someplace? I hear that is a good way to earn airline miles too.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
E-miles. E-rewards. Or flying.

But considering that this is the Manufactured Spend forum, if you can't get a CC, you should look somewhere else.

Andyandy
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:40 pm

Five Back Visas, for 5% back. You could buy them with cash, they're even cheaper that way.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Get a Suntrust Delta debit card?

Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
There are extremely limited options for manufactured spending without a credit card. There are a few debit cards that earn miles for spend, but there are limitations on who can get them and how many miles they can earn.

Obviously you can still earn miles from actual flying. You can often do your online shopping through airline shopping portals to earn miles on things you would buy anyway. And sometimes it makes sense to just buy miles directly from the airline.

I recommend that the original poster ask for advice in the information desk forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:26 am

I'd look at getting a secured credit card to (re)build your credit profile. The Discover it secured credit card is a great option, offers that with no annual fee + cashback on the purchases.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:05 pm

I would strongly advise against trying to boost your airline mileage earning potential before solving whatever issues that caused you to have poor credit in the first place. Manufactured or not, almost every method of points earning involves spending money; in the case of MS, it's just money that gets "recycled" to pay the bill.

It's really easy to fall into the trap of spending more and more money on things you can't otherwise afford in order to try and earn more miles towards that dream vacation. If you've gotten into issues with credit in the past, that strongly implies that you are likely to fall into the same type of issue in the future. With MS, you will be sitting on thousands of dollars of what is essentially cash at any given time, and it takes a deal of self-control to avoid spending it.

<rant>Honestly, for most ordinary people, frequent flyer miles are of little use. The vast majority those people who earn enough miles for a free flight do so the old fashioned way, by actually flying. Credit card and partner miles can be great to supplement earning, but for most people it's better to save the money and wait for a discounted flight than to spend enough to get the 100,000+ points you'd need for a family of four to fly anywhere. </rant>
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by ntr91
I would strongly advise against trying to boost your airline mileage earning potential before solving whatever issues that caused you to have poor credit in the first place. Manufactured or not, almost every method of points earning involves spending money; in the case of MS, it's just money that gets "recycled" to pay the bill.

It's really easy to fall into the trap of spending more and more money on things you can't otherwise afford in order to try and earn more miles towards that dream vacation. If you've gotten into issues with credit in the past, that strongly implies that you are likely to fall into the same type of issue in the future. With MS, you will be sitting on thousands of dollars of what is essentially cash at any given time, and it takes a deal of self-control to avoid spending it.

<rant>Honestly, for most ordinary people, frequent flyer miles are of little use. The vast majority those people who earn enough miles for a free flight do so the old fashioned way, by actually flying. Credit card and partner miles can be great to supplement earning, but for most people it's better to save the money and wait for a discounted flight than to spend enough to get the 100,000+ points you'd need for a family of four to fly anywhere. </rant>
What makes you think his credit is poor? He might just be young who hasn't yet established a credit history.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by donuteric
What makes you think his credit is poor? He might just be young who hasn't yet established a credit history.
I suspect that when the OP asked "what to do if you have had issues" they are not referring to being young.

OP I would recommend spending all your effort on fixing the issues that have prevented you from getting a credit card and not waste any energy on miles.

I play this game because I find it fun and I enjoy travel, but I would be probably better off if I spent that same time earning more income.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: Several dozen
And those few debit cards can be attached to ff restaurant and marketplace opportunities to amplify their value beyond the limitations referred to.

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
...There are extremely limited options for manufactured spending without a credit card. There are a few debit cards that earn miles for spend, but there are limitations on who can get them and how many miles they can earn.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:22 pm

Then you are wasting your time here. This area of FT is about MS. Someone please close this thread.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:40 am

Given ample cash, you are best off buying five backs with cash and or debit card.

Imagine if you bought these with cash and liquidated these cards through Lowes.

You shall earn $170 dollars a day off of 10k outlay.

At worst that is better than earning most other mileage currencies.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by milesandpointsgroup
Given ample cash, you are best off buying five backs with cash and or debit card.

Imagine if you bought these with cash and liquidated these cards through Lowes.

You shall earn $170 dollars a day off of 10k outlay.

At worst that is better than earning most other mileage currencies.
Can you show the math for that? Does your Lowes let you buy a few DE's at a time or are you buying more 5B's?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.