Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Mancolt
I think you're hitting reply too quickly, misterno. Travelz gave you the EXACT explanation as to how he does this.
I see so earnings is 500*1.5% which is $7.5

Chase Freedom unlimited does not give you points just 1.5% cash back so the profit here is only $7.5+500 Chase points or I am missing something
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:55 am

FU is points like all the rest, it's just marketed as cash back. Otherwise, there'd be no point to get it over the 2% citi double cash.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
FU is points like all the rest, it's just marketed as cash back. Otherwise, there'd be no point to get it over the 2% citi double cash.

Okay so is the profit calculation right or wrong?

$7.5+500 Chase points
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by misterno
Okay so is the profit calculation right or wrong?

$7.5+500 Chase points
Freedom and FU give UR points like all other Chase UR cards.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Mar 4, 2017 at 9:24 am Reason: part of thread cleanup
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by dr_sharp
Freedom and FU give UR points like all other Chase UR cards.
Can you please correct the calculation below then ?

Thanks

500 points from Ink + $500*1.5%=7.5 points

All profit = 507.5 points

is this correct?

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Mar 4, 2017 at 9:24 am Reason: thread cleanup
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by misterno
Can you please correct the calculation below then ?

Thanks

500 points from Ink + $500*1.5%=7.5 points

All profit = 507.5 points

is this correct?
Buy $500 simon gc w/ freedom unli.:
Cost: $3.95
UR points earned: 755.9

Buy 2X $300 gc from staples w/ simon + ink:
Cost: $17.90
UR Points earned: 589.5
5% Back reload: $25

Cost to you before liquidation: $3.95+$17.90 +$25 = $3.15

So in the end, you're ~$1 to $3 richer (depending on liquidation means) with an additional ~1345 UR points in your account for every two $300 gift cards you buy from staples.

Tedious, yes. But if you do this a million times, you'd accumulate over a billion UR points (think of the trips!) and be a millionaire. If I were you, I quit my job and get on it right now!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by chippy111

Tedious, yes. But if you do this a million times, you'd accumulate over a billion UR points (think of the trips!) and be a millionaire. If I were you, I quit my job and get on it right now!
Lol, thanks for the humor today!

I'm sure there are some MS methods that are very lucrative, but those tend to go away quickly from what I gather (I just started myself 2 weeks ago so I can't say from experience). So I think of these as great ways to hit minimum spends without actually losing any money. But if you're looking to make enough money to make this worth the time that you have to invest, then you need to find a different MS scheme.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I removed some posts that had taken this thread off topic.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Travelz
Buy 5B with Freedom Unlimited
Buy 2 $300 for 617.90 and use $500 on 5B and Ink for the rest.
Liquidate using MO or BB or BP.
Get lots of points for free.

Looks like the $300's are out of stock.
Travelz

I realize you are using 2 credit cards to pay for $617.90

Is this doable only in B&M store or can you do the same online as well?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
Why not to read Wiki first? $300 ones are online only. At the store $200 ones are a worse deal.
Sorry for not being clear

He says he buys the 2x300=617.90 with 5B card which is $500, so I think he pays the 117.90 with Ink?

But you can not do this online, can you? I don't have a store near me.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Mancolt
I'd add you to my ignore list, but your posts are amusing, even if they are incredibly annoying.
I agree!!! ^^^
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:15 pm

When you buy VGC at staples.com or in store, how is the purchases coded? Is there a tier 3 reporting to AmeX?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
When you buy VGC at staples.com or in store, how is the purchases coded? Is there a tier 3 reporting to AmeX?
It does, on the SimplyCash.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Originally Posted by randomdude
It does, on the SimplyCash.
Yes. On all AMEX cards.

On top of that, even some places the level 3 is not showing online, AMEX can see what the purchases are, this includes cards sourced from Simon and may be grocery stores.

OTOH, AMEX seems only care when the purchases are intended to meet spend requirement of bonus, any bonus, not just limited to sign up bonus, and in particularly on AMEX own cards. AMEX does not seem to care if these are just spend to earn the basic points, especially on the co-branded cards.

So now you have more than enough info to proceed accordingly.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Yes. On all AMEX cards.

On top of that, even some places the level 3 is not showing online, AMEX can see what the purchases are, this includes cards sourced from Simon and may be grocery stores.

OTOH, AMEX seems only care when the purchases are intended to meet spend requirement of bonus, any bonus, not just limited to sign up bonus, and in particularly on AMEX own cards. AMEX does not seem to care if these are just spend to earn the basic points, especially on the co-branded cards.

So now you have more than enough info to proceed accordingly.
OMG, you're sooo wrong, got shut down by Amex today, it was co-branded card without bonus involved, got some VGCs at grocery store for gas rewards and now waiting for the review...
Hate being DP, but it's a fact!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.