Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 14, 19, 10:30 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: rxgeek
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank. The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

The max VGCs sold at Staples.com are $300. No $500 cards. With its $8.95 or 3% card fee, it is only good if there is promotion (or rebate).

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back

Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $6.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV

Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 5, 19, 7:15 am
  #1006  
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 3,431
How many of you order GCs at Staples.com? For 5% or 5x ?
RedSun is offline  
Old Apr 5, 19, 10:39 am
  #1007  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 794
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
How many of you order GCs at Staples.com? For 5% or 5x ?
the VGC's fee is high online... any angle for a meaningful cb / profit? if not, just curious why VGCs is regularly OOS
danhouston is offline  
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:28 pm
  #1008  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 143
Originally Posted by danhouston View Post
the VGC's fee is high online... any angle for a meaningful cb / profit? if not, just curious why VGCs is regularly OOS
1 cents per dollar fee (3%)
5 points per dollar earn
óó
minimum 40%
Pookynubbers is offline  
Old Apr 5, 19, 1:15 pm
  #1009  
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 3,431
Originally Posted by Pookynubbers View Post
1 cents per dollar fee (3%)
5 points per dollar earn
óó
minimum 40%
This is only part of it. There are pros and cons.

Pros: Good earning rate; easy shopping online.

Cons: card spend limit; max $300, more time to liquidate.

I normally do not do this. There are Staples sales from time to time without any activation fees. So we can pocket the entire 5% or 5x....
RedSun is offline  
Old Apr 6, 19, 3:14 pm
  #1010  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 143
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
This is only part of it. There are pros and cons.

Pros: Good earning rate; easy shopping online.

Cons: card spend limit; max $300, more time to liquidate.

I normally do not do this. There are Staples sales from time to time without any activation fees. So we can pocket the entire 5% or 5x....
yes - I donít mind saving the additional when it pops up. I max out and earn 250,000 UR points per year which costs me $1,491. Even if I just use base earning - Iím getting at least $2,500 for that $1,491. But I stretch it much more with Hyatt, SW, and other travel.
Pookynubbers is offline  
Old Apr 6, 19, 4:59 pm
  #1011  
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 3,431
Originally Posted by Pookynubbers View Post
yes - I donít mind saving the additional when it pops up. I max out and earn 250,000 UR points per year which costs me $1,491. Even if I just use base earning - Iím getting at least $2,500 for that $1,491. But I stretch it much more with Hyatt, SW, and other travel.
So you get two Ink CCs? This is great.
RedSun is offline  
Old Apr 6, 19, 5:40 pm
  #1012  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: UA 1K - 1.5MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy LT Titanium (Ambassador thru 1/20), Hyatt Glob
Posts: 674
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
So you get two Ink CCs? This is great.
Unless itís one Ink Plus.
Magic Pickles is offline  
Old Apr 7, 19, 12:00 pm
  #1013  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 303
vgc back in stock online
jjangoo is offline  
Old Apr 7, 19, 2:02 pm
  #1014  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 145
Current in store promo for $5 off VGC, leaving you with $1.95 per card. Not bad if you need to finish up annual max like I did. Was able to get multiple in same transaction, and $5 came off each $200 card.
ne0ven0m is offline  
Old Apr 7, 19, 7:59 pm
  #1015  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 4,378
Originally Posted by ne0ven0m View Post
Current in store promo for $5 off VGC, leaving you with $1.95 per card. Not bad if you need to finish up annual max like I did. Was able to get multiple in same transaction, and $5 came off each $200 card.
It seems as if each time Staples does a promotion, the value declines. Now we are going to be paying $2 per $200 card. This is no better than paying $4 for a $500 SMGC (in fact, one can argue worse), except that I can use my Citi card at Staples but not at SM.
I am uncertain as to whether I will bite or not.
radonc1 is offline  
Old Apr 7, 19, 8:37 pm
  #1016  
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 3,431
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
It seems as if each time Staples does a promotion, the value declines. Now we are going to be paying $2 per $200 card. This is no better than paying $4 for a $500 SMGC (in fact, one can argue worse), except that I can use my Citi card at Staples but not at SM.
I am uncertain as to whether I will bite or not.
That is still just 1%. Use your 5% or 5x CCs.
camaross likes this.
RedSun is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 1:27 am
  #1017  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by ne0ven0m View Post
Current in store promo for $5 off VGC, leaving you with $1.95 per card. Not bad if you need to finish up annual max like I did. Was able to get multiple in same transaction, and $5 came off each $200 card.
Thanks for this my friend.

Just ordered a normal 6 300's @ .com now back in stock, but tomorrow I'll hit my local store and see how many I can get @ 1% with Ink+.
ne0ven0m likes this.
Chris58 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 1:36 am
  #1018  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
It seems as if each time Staples does a promotion, the value declines. Now we are going to be paying $2 per $200 card. This is no better than paying $4 for a $500 SMGC (in fact, one can argue worse), except that I can use my Citi card at Staples but not at SM.
I am uncertain as to whether I will bite or not.
I'm curious, usually Staples is used for Chase Ink+/Cash for 5x.

I agree Using a Citi DC @ Staples only nets 1% under this deal, (as opposed to 4% for INK). But why can't you do the same 1% net at Simon, (I use my DC every week @ Simon)??
Chris58 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 9:07 am
  #1019  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
It seems as if each time Staples does a promotion, the value declines. Now we are going to be paying $2 per $200 card. This is no better than paying $4 for a $500 SMGC (in fact, one can argue worse), except that I can use my Citi card at Staples but not at SM.
I am uncertain as to whether I will bite or not.
Yeah, aside from OD promo working if you could get GE, DE, the sale this year haven't been lucrative. Still, I'm maxed for my one CIC, so I can focus on non-office MS for half a year.
ne0ven0m is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 11:55 am
  #1020  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 4,378
Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
I'm curious, usually Staples is used for Chase Ink+/Cash for 5x.

I agree Using a Citi DC @ Staples only nets 1% under this deal, (as opposed to 4% for INK). But why can't you do the same 1% net at Simon, (I use my DC every week @ Simon)??
I have an Ink Business Preferred card (for my business) and it does not get me anything at Staples unless I ship something from Staples and even that is only 3 points/dollar. This card is good for my business only, not MS.
My Citi card experience has been elaborated in prior posts. (AA Executive card). Citi declines any GC purchase at SM, no matter what I do to to forestall it. Once declined, SM will not allow the card to be used for 24 hours, so calling to get the decline reversed is also worthless. My Ink card is an actual business card (preferred card) and it has no 5% anything on it. As cards go, it is pretty meh.

So my simple choice is to wait for a GC sale that is worthwhile at OD/OM/Staples.
radonc1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: