Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:16 pm

I'll be using the Staples GCs I received as rebates for a valid purchase online....

Anyone know how many I can use? Is there a limit to the number of Staples GCs I can use per transaction?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:46 am

Starting this Sunday, $20 rebate on $300 VGC.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:57 am

I received the cards themselves over a week ago but haven't gotten the separate pin number. Is this unusual?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:03 am

Highly. I haven't had that kind of a lag before. Two days at the most but not over a week.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:43 am

not at all unusual actually. You will probably never get the pins.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I spoke with Staples today, after receiving the "could not process rebate" email. They assured me that the rebate would be paid if I emailed my receipt to [email protected]

To be safe, I sent the receipt to both this address and the address given in the previous post. I received an acknowledgement from both addresses.
Got a denial even after emailing them the receipt. Seems like another canned response.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
Got a denial even after emailing them the receipt. Seems like another canned response.
When I spoke with a Staples Rebates CSR this morning, they indicated that the denial emails today were sent by mistake, and that they need 5 business days to review the rebate receipt that I sent in. He said to call back on Monday.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:01 pm

I'm looking to take advantage of Staples for the first time with the sale that's coming up on August 6. However, now I'm realizing that you can only get one $20 rebate per household.

Can someone explain to me what the big deal about these sales is? As far as I can tell, because it's one per HH, you get a slightly better rate of return on your first $200 in spend. After that, the Gift Cards from Staples are as good as the gift cards anywhere else (except that they code as Office Supply stores). But the sale itself is not that advantageous otherwise. Am I thinking about this correctly?

Last edited by breakthepoints; Aug 3, 2017 at 6:27 pm
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:54 pm

Correct

Originally Posted by breakthepoints
I'm looking to take advantage of Staples for the first time with the sale that's coming up on August 6. However, now I'm realizing that you can only get one $20 rebate per household.

Can someone explain to me what the big deal about these sales is? As far as I can tell, because it's one per HH, you get a slightly better rate of return on your first $200 in spend. After that, the Gift Cards from Staples are as good as the gift cards anywhere else (except that they code as Office Supply stores). But the sale itself is not that advantageous otherwise. Am I thinking about this correctly?
Welcome to Flyertalk!! Yes, you are thinking about this the right way, except it's a better rate on the first $400 of spending. The deals to get excited about are at OD/OM (and occasionally Giant and Safeway), because they usually can be repeated if your local store doesn't run out of GCs.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by breakthepoints

Some people have the ability to use multiple addresses.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:23 pm

It looks I should talk with the person...
I got the denial email for my rebate as well. I hope it's not a mistaken promotion.
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
When I spoke with a Staples Rebates CSR this morning, they indicated that the denial emails today were sent by mistake, and that they need 5 business days to review the rebate receipt that I sent in. He said to call back on Monday.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by bulletin2007
It looks I should talk with the person...
I got the denial email for my rebate as well. I hope it's not a mistaken promotion.
I receive a second denial stating, "I am sorry that your rebate has not been processed. After carefully reviewing the information that you have submitted I have verified there was no promotion available for the time when you made the purchase of your gift card. I apologize for informing you that we are not able to process a rebate for this purchase since it does not fall into a valid promotion.". I called again and got no where initially, then asked for a supervisor. After a 20 min discussion he said that they'd be sending me a check in place of the gift card. We shall see. I'd be interested to read how others have their denials resolved.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by hawkandhoo
Welcome to Flyertalk!! Yes, you are thinking about this the right way, except it's a better rate on the first $400 of spending. The deals to get excited about are at OD/OM (and occasionally Giant and Safeway), because they usually can be repeated if your local store doesn't run out of GCs.
OD/OM?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:35 pm

United Mileage Plus X App

I was thinking of using tge MileagePlus X App to earn 3 points per dollar. Does anyone have any DP if this will work with purchase of 2 $200 VGC??
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by BCon81
I was thinking of using tge MileagePlus X App to earn 3 points per dollar. Does anyone have any DP if this will work with purchase of 2 $200 VGC??
1) In store only.
2) Gift cards most likely will not earn bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.