Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler
I have never had a problem with my Chase Ink cards. We max out both cards. But honestly, it's such a fragile system we use. We buy the cards online, buy MO's and deposit those to our bank. Having a business is definitely helpful. But anything can happen to our system, and we keep hoping it still all works even five years from now. Chase could get sick and tired of our 5X earnings and cancel our cards. We could get stopped from acquiring MO's at our local grocery store and Wally, and our bank could start limiting our MO deposits. Very fragile.
Helpme with the calculation here

So you are paying 8.95 for each $300 Visa cards. So for every $8.95 fee you are earning (300+8.95)X5 =1,545 UR points.

Does this worth paying $8.95 to you?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by misterno

So you are paying 8.95 for each $300 Visa cards. So for every $8.95 fee you are earning (300+8.95)X5 =1,545 UR points.

It's cheaper to buy DE cards at OD/OM than online VGCs at staples:
3 * (200 + 4.95) * 5 = 3074.25 UR for $15
2 * (300 + 8.95) * 5 = 3089.50 UR for $18
This is not accounting for the frequent sales at both places.
PS: you can redeem each UR for a minimum of 1.25 cent and as much as 1.5˘
3074.25 * 1.5c = $46
$46 - $15 (fees) = $31 in profit

Last edited by Java Cool Dude; Feb 9, 2017 at 8:43 pm
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:42 pm

I'm no expert at MS, still reading as much as I can find to hopefully come up with something that works for me, but 1,545 times thepointsguy values UR points at $0.021 per, so $32.45. At least that's what I've deduced so far.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
Originally Posted by Mancolt
I'm no expert at MS, still reading as much as I can find to hopefully come up with something that works for me, but 1,545 times thepointsguy values UR points at $0.021 per, so $32.45. At least that's what I've deduced so far.
Yes, this is true for us. We move all of our Ink Bold and Ink Chase points to Chase Sapphire Reserve for 1.5 in UR portal.

I am very happy with our MS for now, but as I said, it's very fragile. Our cost is $6/1,000 pts. We get 1.5 through the Sapphire Reserve portal. So a $300 plane ticket is just 20K points. 20K X $6 = $120.

We buy our VGC's online. It's just easier. Going from store to store to see if they have restocked the rack with cards is definitely not worth it to me. I have no idea what a DE is. Maybe someone could spell that out for me?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
That's not the fragile part. The fragile part is that the Ink plus is closed for new business and the new Ink Prefered is offering 3x on OSS. That would lead me to believe that the Ink Plus is on the clock altogether for the 5x.
Yeah, they could take those benefits away anytime. That could definitely happen. My card just renewed in November, and I haven't had my benefits reduced. DH's card may get reduced benefits in June.

I think that will end our MS plan. I don't see us finding another MS process. This one has been a hobby with payback.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:05 pm

I have no idea what a DE is. Maybe someone could spell that out for me?
Dining Everywhere.
There are other * Everywhere cards but DE seems to be the most common one out there.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Dining Everywhere.
There are other * Everywhere cards but DE seems to be the most common one out there.
Ah, thanks. That makes sense now. I saw someone posted that buying MO's with those cards works because they work the same as the VGC's. I will check out OM/OD next time. It's a better deal.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:13 pm

Ah, thanks. That makes sense now. I saw someone posted that buying MO's with those cards works because they work the same as the VGC's. I will check out OM/OD next time. It's a better deal.
Only do it if you have one of the following options nearby:
Walmart Neighborhood Market.
Grocery stores that sell MOs.
Super Walmart.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:16 pm

It's cheaper to buy DE cards at OD/OM than online VGCs at staples:
3 * (200 + 4.95) * 5 = 3074.25 UR for $15
2 * (300 + 8.95) * 5 = 3089.50 UR for $18
This is not accounting for the frequent sales at both places.
PS: you can redeem each UR for a minimum of 1.25 cent and as much as 1.5˘
3074.25 * 1.5c = $46
$46 - $15 (fees) = $31 in profit
I dont know where you live but here in Houston 200 or 300 gcs in OD are non existent in Houston. I have been MSing for 3 years and never seen it

Also why bother going to OD for $300, the fee is same online. It is $8.95
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:21 pm

I dont know where you live but here in Houston 200 or 300 gcs in OD are non existent in Houston. I have been MSing for 3 years and never seen it

Also why bother going to OD for $300, the fee is same online. It is $8.95
OD/OM doesn't sell $300 VGCs, only Staples does so exclusively online.
I live in LA and we Californians have a crap ton of OM/OD throughout the state that sell DE cards in stores.
JCD
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:23 pm

OD/OM doesn't sell $300 VGCs, only Staples does so exclusively online.
I live in LA and we Californians have a crap ton of OM/OD throughout the state that sell DE cards in stores.
JCD
What is DE?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:26 pm

What is DE?
He answered that question above.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:26 pm

Dining Everywhere.
^
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:46 pm

Dining Everywhere.
And these are available on OD/OM online? I'm having trouble searching for them, but I am tired and admittedly haven't tried too many different search terms. Just GC, DE, and a few permutations of those.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Mancolt
And these are available on OD/OM online? I'm having trouble searching for them, but I am tired and admittedly haven't tried too many different search terms. Just GC, DE, and a few permutations of those.
Nope, in stores only.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.