Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
Online gift card orders are limited to 2,000 - so I get 6 per order. I usually do about 2-3 orders per month - been going for about 4 months - no bad word from Chase at this point.
so for each order, paid about $60 in fees to earn around 9.5k UR pts?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by danhouston
so for each order, paid about $60 in fees to earn around 9.5k UR pts?
$53.70 / 9268pts

Originally Posted by jediwho
What are the maximum number of Staples $300 cards one has purchased online in one transaction? Also, how many $$ of Staples cards per month is recommended before Chase red flags you? I have so far purchased $7.5K worth of gift cards in the first six months and am thinking about doing $7K per month through December.
$2k max per order from their website.

You might want to be careful ramping up from ~$0/month to $7k/month so that you don't raise a flag, but I tend to err on the conservative side. Also might depend on how much other spend you put on the card.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by perkunas
$53.70 / 9268pts

$2k max per order from their website.

You might want to be careful ramping up from ~$0/month to $7k/month so that you don't raise a flag, but I tend to err on the conservative side. Also might depend on how much other spend you put on the card.
Thanks. Ramping up from more like $1.5K a month right now to 7K a month.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by walkingingotham
Not sure if this is the right thread, but did anyone also receive the staples $20 gift card replacement from a MasterCard rebate back in around Apr/May 2017?
Are you missing a rebate card too? Did that happen to a lot of people?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:45 am

Just got my $15 rebate cards
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:39 am

OK...this is weird

I was buying VGCs at Staples today and the register printed out a rebate form. No signage up, nothing appears on staples.com/easy rebates, but the form says:

Offer 17-99869
$20 VGC gift card by MIR when you buy $300+ in VGCs

In the middle of the form it says:

REBATE BEGIN DATE 7/21/17
REBATE END DATE 7/28/17

And just below, it says:

PROOF OF PURCHASE REQUIREMENTS:
Purchase $300 or more of VGCs at staples stores between 3/12/17 and 3/18/17...

So...there's a conflict. I guess I'll try submitting via Staples Easy Rebates and if that doesn't work, I'll mail in the paper form. If I get it, it'll be icing. I wasn't planning on getting a rebate.

Apparently, this happened to others as well:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/stapl...-not-found-ad/
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:53 pm

As of 5:00 p.m. Sunday, Staples stores were still printing rebate forms, and the Staples website was not rejecting them. Stay tuned.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
As of 5:00 p.m. Sunday, Staples stores were still printing rebate forms, and the Staples website was not rejecting them. Stay tuned.
did it actually say rebate was approved or the status still needs to be checked?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
did it actually say rebate was approved or the status still needs to be checked?
no one has actually gotten a rebate approved message because the rebate is not in the system and is not a valid rebate. People thinking that a “Thank you for submitting your rebate!” is some kind of indication that this will get honored are kidding themselves as anyone who does staples rebates know that is not how it works. I mean, I hope for everyone's sake that staples makes it right somehow and honors it, but I would put money on them not.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
no one has actually gotten a rebate approved message because the rebate is not in the system and is not a valid rebate. People thinking that a “Thank you for submitting your rebate!” is some kind of indication that this will get honored are kidding themselves as anyone who does staples rebates know that is not how it works. I mean, I hope for everyone's sake that staples makes it right somehow and honors it, but I would put money on them not.
I agree and everyone who bought who got a rebate receipt thinks they will receive rebate!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:10 pm

worst case if not honored, it’s an earning of 2070 chase UR pts for a cash payout of $14; still a gain though not as much as one hoped
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:38 pm

For each of my two rebates, Staples has sent me a Rebate ID Number and a Rebate Tracking Number. And the two items appear in the "Track a Rebate" system. Actual approval often takes a week or two, if not more.

Nothing in life is guaranteed, but this is a low-risk proposition.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
For each of my two rebates, Staples has sent me a Rebate ID Number and a Rebate Tracking Number. And the two items appear in the "Track a Rebate" system. Actual approval often takes a week or two, if not more.

Nothing in life is guaranteed, but this is a low-risk proposition.
A rebate id and tracking number means literally nothing. You can submit an id from a purchase of crayons and get the same thing while obviously there is no rebate for crayons. You should be able to see eligible rebates within 4 hours of purchase and see that your rebate is pending. If this does not happen it will get rejected a week later.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:57 am

I'm curious if these are just action junkies or people that have like 5 Ink's? I only have one Ink so I get my limit (50k) usually by the 9th month of my cycle with all the Staples/OD promos. I can't imagine doubling my workload with two inks, or five as some have. Maybe I'm missing something?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:04 am

I don't think it will be too tough to get them to honor these. But, probably not worth the hassle. I got 3 since it seems like the OD deals are going through a break again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.