Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 14, 19, 10:30 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rxgeek
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank. The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

The max VGCs sold at Staples.com are $300. No $500 cards. With its $8.95 or 3% card fee, it is only good if there is promotion (or rebate).

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back

Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $6.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV

Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 22, 20, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Store playing game? You are correct. Do you play MS game here too?

I think people should treat any MS activities as a hobby or some kind of privilege. But we do not have the right to demand the MS gains. CC banks can deny it. Merchants can deny it. Police can deny it too. You want to take whatever you can get away legally. But we can't demand the CC banks and Staples have to allow us for our MS activities.

We can get 5x or 5% with some CCs. But the CC banks can just shut down those CCs. The same with Staples stores if they suspect any fraud of mis-use.

I'd say tread it carefully.
That my friend is the problem in a nutshell, some folks thinking its their Right to being able to purchase the cards, I for 1 am happy that I can still do whatever I can even thou its getting harder and taking more time I highly doubt that Staples is making out like a bandit selling the cards, especially w/o a fee,and if enough people call up Corp and complain , Corp may decide its just not worth it and instead of forcing the stores to stop playing games simply instead stop selling the cards
RedSun likes this.
Old Sep 22, 20, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Actually our local OD no longer sells any gift cards.

Our Staples Store tells me they are only being shipped a limited number of gift cards,

Very few are playing the mile game, not much traveling...
Old Sep 22, 20, 6:25 pm

Wow! I do not believe this.

So you would remove like 20 $200 VGCs and pile in your purse or pocket. Pass the register and teller, take those VGC home. Then bring those VGCs back to store when they are on sale again. Just amazing.

This is promoting theft and hard fraud. Something can be done when the GCs are off the store....

I said I went to the register, and the cashier put them in a bag for me, I was confused in the start date,

iit was 10 cards, for
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 22, 20, 7:35 pm
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
Visit your local Staples, walk up to the register and ask if the cards are on sale they’ll say no tomorrow say OK I’ll come back and buy them tomorrow walk out with the cards..

I did this recently no problem the worst they can say is leave the cards here.

I am a regular Staples customer
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
I said I went to the register, and the cashier put them in a bag for me, I was confused in the start date,

iit was 10 cards, for
Cashiers can't give away any GCs that are not activated.
Old Sep 23, 20, 2:16 pm

Cashiers can't give away any GCs that are not activated.
I was there, but hey you know it all.
I also bought some Amazon cards, at the same time,

Will report the cashier tomorrow, he needs fired..
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 26, 20, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I did Staples GC's for the first time in many years, maybe ever, last month. First the $200 with $5 off activation, then $200 with free activation. The rack was chock full of the $200's.
Old Sep 27, 20, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
I did Staples GC's for the first time in many years, maybe ever, last month. First the $200 with $5 off activation, then $200 with free activation. The rack was chock full of the $200's.
You lucky. Many stores did not even get the shelf re-stocked again over the past two promotions. My store manager said the store never received anything.
Old Oct 8, 20, 8:08 am

No activation fees on $200 Visa GC’s at Staples next week, limit 5(!) per customer per day.
Old Oct 12, 20, 4:21 pm

Finally grabbed 5 cards off the shelf. Only two more left. Do not know when they are going to re-stock the shelf.

I think they limit 1 or 2 per day, they last longer. Otherwise, they will be gone in 1 or two days.

I heard one senior casher telling the other casher about possible GC abuse. He notice the same couple to buy 10 cards everyday. And he wants to stop them for "abuse".....
Old Oct 13, 20, 8:24 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Finally grabbed 5 cards off the shelf. Only two more left. Do not know when they are going to re-stock the shelf.

I think they limit 1 or 2 per day, they last longer. Otherwise, they will be gone in 1 or two days.

I heard one senior casher telling the other casher about possible GC abuse. He notice the same couple to buy 10 cards everyday. And he wants to stop them for "abuse".....
I imagine that the kiosks will only hold between 10-20 cards on average, so it does not take many 5 card purchases to drain the store.

I went to one Staples Sunday at 2 pm and it was out of cards. I went to another yesterday in the evening and there were 7 cards left. (2 after I left).

I suspect that each store has a limited supply of cards which sell out very quickly.

Also, stupid talk isn't limited to politics

IMO, unless one has a store with unlimited quantity of product, Staples is another meh outlet for MSing. Such is life
Old Oct 13, 20, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
I imagine that the kiosks will only hold between 10-20 cards on average, so it does not take many 5 card purchases to drain the store.

I went to one Staples Sunday at 2 pm and it was out of cards. I went to another yesterday in the evening and there were 7 cards left. (2 after I left).

I suspect that each store has a limited supply of cards which sell out very quickly.

Also, stupid talk isn't limited to politics

IMO, unless one has a store with unlimited quantity of product, Staples is another meh outlet for MSing. Such is life
The store close to me normally have 6 slots and normally hold like 60 cards. That is plenty and the store is not near major intersections.

But some people still travel. Some people still "abuse" it by going there again and again. They pretty much know who those people are.

I think to the end, the store would not care any longer. They just want to guard against any possible frauds....
Old Oct 13, 20, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I don't usually go to multiple stores, but today I happened to have extra time due to bad planning in two different cities. My local Staples had a rack full of $200's as usual. The one in the distant city had none but I asked a salesclerk and she said they had them. I joked that it was like keeping the 30-year-old scotch being the counter, but she said that it was just that the staff had been supposed to stock the racks but didn't.
Old Oct 14, 20, 5:11 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
The store close to me normally have 6 slots and normally hold like 60 cards. That is plenty and the store is not near major intersections.

But some people still travel. Some people still "abuse" it by going there again and again. They pretty much know who those people are.

I think to the end, the store would not care any longer. They just want to guard against any possible frauds....
Even assuming 60 cards, that is only 12 customers at 5 apiece and then the rack is empty.

I do have Staples with adequate supplies when I shop there, but that is because there is almost no one else buying them
Old Oct 15, 20, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
Even assuming 60 cards, that is only 12 customers at 5 apiece and then the rack is empty.

I do have Staples with adequate supplies when I shop there, but that is because there is almost no one else buying them
Usually they have more VGCs that are stored inside the gift card spinning racks that are still packaged. Also I think those gift card slots can hold more than 10 cards per slot.
Old Oct 15, 20, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
Usually they have more VGCs that are stored inside the gift card spinning racks that are still packaged. Also I think those gift card slots can hold more than 10 cards per slot.
This is just an estimate.

I believe at my local store, they stock all those GCs on the shelf. They do not want to play games and hide any cards....

I'm not sure how many GCs each store gets....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: