Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Jul 26, 2020, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by danhouston
if finger is not quick enough to chg to debit @ WM, grocery store should work with a simple pin # input
I stay away from Wallys with MCs since I know of only 1 that will allow split payments and dont want to burn myself there when I have Vs. That said if you go with MC and you mess up on a swipe will that count as 1 of the 4 allowed? so now you can only swipe 3 cards but the MO is for say $799.12 so youd have to cash up or use a legit DC Or is it max 4 swipes that go thru and any that doesnt its as if you didnt swipe at all
Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by craz
I stay away from Wallys with MCs since I know of only 1 that will allow split payments and dont want to burn myself there when I have Vs. That said if you go with MC and you mess up on a swipe will that count as 1 of the 4 allowed? so now you can only swipe 3 cards but the MO is for say $799.12 so youd have to cash up or use a legit DC Or is it max 4 swipes that go thru and any that doesnt its as if you didnt swipe at all
If it doesn't go through, it doesn't count as a swipe. If it takes three tries to get a MC to work, it only counts as one swipe.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:59 am

FWIW -- Publix is my favorite place to liquidate MCs and also $500 cards in general. If you order, say, 4x $499 MOs, and use 4x $500 cards, the POS will autodrain each card. No need for human intervention, requesting split payment, etc. The relatively high MO fee is well worth it in terms of convenience, no hassle, etc., plus the clerks are almost always nice.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I have messed up numerous times with swipes that weren't fast enough and that didn't make a difference in my final use of 4 cards for a MO

At least, it hasn't to this date
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
FWIW -- Publix is my favorite place to liquidate MCs and also $500 cards in general. If you order, say, 4x $499 MOs, and use 4x $500 cards, the POS will autodrain each card. No need for human intervention, requesting split payment, etc. The relatively high MO fee is well worth it in terms of convenience, no hassle, etc., plus the clerks are almost always nice.
No, but there is actually a max swipe limit that I did hit at one point (some of my cards weren't activated). I want to say it was 10 total attempts (not per card but per transaction).
Old Jul 27, 2020, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuphat
A long day today. Just got back from unloading all my Staples from last week. Need to go out of state and even out of neighboring state, but got the job done and not even a full tank of gas which costs me $12.

Due to not wanting them to remember me I only get 2 MOs @ 2 cards per MO. Never mention spliting payments, I simply run the 1st card and then wait for them to press a key so I can run the 2nd, usually they dont say Boo. 1st card takes the whole amount on the card and the 2nd takes whats left due. R U saying with Publix the csr doesnt have to press any key and you swipe 1 after the other?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:52 am

besides Publix, any folks knows another grocery store POS, like Kroger or Safeway, auto drain? thx
Old Jul 30, 2020, 7:08 am

The VGC deal is back this Sunday with a 5 card limit.
yanxfann likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 5:30 pm

Anyone have a workaround for logging into the prepaidgiftbalance.com website for checking transactions? after entering the CC# and 3 digit code with captcha confirmation, it won't log into the card details. The page just refreshes back to the login page. I tried Safari and Chrome.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 5:48 pm

Try calling the # on the back? PITA but usually works.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 5:36 pm

My local staples that had no problem selling 10 cards when the limit was 1 has now begun enforcing a limit of one now that the limit is 5. Go figure. Plenty of others around at least
Old Aug 9, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
My local staples that had no problem selling 10 cards when the limit was 1 has now begun enforcing a limit of one now that the limit is 5. Go figure. Plenty of others around at least
My local Staples ran out of VGCs by Tuesday of last week. They were allowing 5 cards per visit and people obviously took advantage of that.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:26 pm

Wen to a store I havent been to in a long time, (out of my area but I was in that area and no other S nearby). I figured Id grab 6 and hope they dont say Boo, its only 1 more then the limit.Only 2 sealed ones on the rack along with 2 already opened, open the secret compartment and find another 4 scattered around closed).

Get on the checkout line.After a few min wait its my turn. Its a young girl and the 1st thing she does is contact the mgr to see if she can sell them to me and what the limit is. The mgr gets there very quickly and tells her theres a max of 2, I mention to him that the online flyer says its 5 max per day. He says it was never max of 5 and has always been a max of $2K . Got my 6 but with him standing around I didnt want to open the rack up and see if I could find another 4. Did that the last promo and the mgr went Nuts , turns out the Vs were behind the counter and he had no problem selling me 8
I did that one time (open the rack) and I was told that only Staple associates can do that.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by robchow
I did that one time (open the rack) and I was told that only Staple associates can do that.
Yeah its not cool when you get caught trying to open the gift card rack in stores and I am not surprised the managers get mad. I am pretty sure Staples managers already know that people come in to buy a bunch of VGCs so you really shouldn't be afraid to ask a Staples associate to check if they have any VGCs in stock. I am cool with the Staples manager at my local Staples and have no issue asking them to check if they have any VGCs inside that gift card container if they are out.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 5:27 am

8/16-22: $5 off the purchase fee of $200 Visas

yanxfann and ChrisFlyer66 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.