Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old May 15, 2019, 7:45 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by beast7276

whale alert!
It took me a while to get there... I've just been lazy in throwing things away
Old May 31, 2019, 4:13 pm

Any way to get these unblocked?

Originally Posted by Jatan
Staples website has $100 MC GC with no fee

Remember to wait for activation letter that comes separately after the cards (takes a few days to a week) -- do not try to use the card or check balance until you've activated them to avoid cards being blocked
Old May 31, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Voom

Happened to me. You have to call in and they'll give you the option of either unblocking the card or sending you a new card.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by canyoncar
Happened to me. You have to call in and they'll give you the option of either unblocking the card or sending you a new card.
Thanks! What number did you call? The number on the back of the card doesnt work it just disconnects. The number with the activation paperwork has no option to talk to a live person. Staples was no help either and when they connected me with a live person, they just told me the cards were active. I cant register them or use them.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:07 am

I can not find mastercard in Staples website

Did they stop selling it so fast?

Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
I checked a while ago because my mortgage payment just happens to be a tad over a multiple of $500 (I usually use MCGC procured from the grocery stores to pay mortgage on Plastiq). Looks like it was gone about three or four weeks ago.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Voom

Thanks! What number did you call? The number on the back of the card doesnt work it just disconnects. The number with the activation paperwork has no option to talk to a live person. Staples was no help either and when they connected me with a live person, they just told me the cards were active. I cant register them or use them.
I sent you a message
Voom likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:19 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Ways to Redeem the Staples GCs?

Just wonder if anyone has more creative ways to dump those $200 GCs. It is so time consuming to wait at WMs. So I unloaded all of my MCGCs at Plastiq. I still get some of the VGCs.

I can dump all the VGC at Plastiq. But the 2.5% fees eat into the margin. Since I do not get much left, I may bite the bullet and just get those done. Still stay on top though...
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by canyoncar
I sent you a message
Thank you! Apparently, my phone number is blocked from MasterCards activation line. The Blackhawk CS number can connect me, but I cant connect myself. Im not sure why Im blocked. I ordered $1000 for me and $1000 for my husband, and a few others one at a time. Im not sure if I maxed out some limit or if there were problems with pre-activity on the cards and they blocked me for that reason. Husbands phone still works. Just a warning to anyone who orders a lot of these. It will be a huge pain to activate them all. You might be blocked in the future.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Just wonder if anyone has more creative ways to dump those $200 GCs. It is so time consuming to wait at WMs. So I unloaded all of my MCGCs at Plastiq. I still get some of the VGCs.

I can dump all the VGC at Plastiq. But the 2.5% fees eat into the margin. Since I do not get much left, I may bite the bullet and just get those done. Still stay on top though...
My county allows fee-free debit card payments (in-person only) for property taxes, water bills, etc. I save my the $100 and $200 MCs that I am "forced" to buy (by my own addiction), then pay a visit to the county treasurer office. They're pretty cool about processing multiple payments.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:21 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by tuphat
My county allows fee-free debit card payments (in-person only) for property taxes, water bills, etc. I save my the $100 and $200 MCs that I am "forced" to buy (by my own addiction), then pay a visit to the county treasurer office. They're pretty cool about processing multiple payments.
They cool with 20 of the GCs at one time? That would be great.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
They cool with 20 of the GCs at one time? That would be great.
Since they have to code in parcel info each time, I try to keep swipes to 8-10 per visit. As I said, they're pretty cool about it all, but I don't want to test their limits. I make sure to thank them for accommodating me. Also, it's easy for me to visit office, it's nearby and there's rarely a line.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:41 pm

Does staples send L3 data to chase?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by zagguru
Does staples send L3 data to chase?
Yes
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:21 am

New sale starts this Sunday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.