Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old May 13, 2019, 1:00 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I must be one of the few that actually buys these cards to use for non-bonus category spend. Instead of rolling the dice on what grocery store will allow multiple swipe MO's anymore (those were the days), I buy ~$1000-$2000 whenever one of these promotions come around and use it for any spend I earn 1x or 2x on (gas, groceries, and some bills). Makes them all 5x UR earning purchases.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alanisrox69
I use every cent. The cards auto drain at my local grocery store, I just go thru SCO (when buying groceries) and swipe a bunch of cards in succession. 12 cents a swipe, I don't care. That's 12 of my cents!
So do I as I said I did, its just at times I get a MO for $399.10 (2 $200s) and with a $.89 fee that leaves $.01 on the card not gonna waste my time using that penny up
Old May 13, 2019, 8:23 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by bigshooter
I must be one of the few that actually buys these cards to use for non-bonus category spend. Instead of rolling the dice on what grocery store will allow multiple swipe MO's anymore (those were the days), I buy ~$1000-$2000 whenever one of these promotions come around and use it for any spend I earn 1x or 2x on (gas, groceries, and some bills). Makes them all 5x UR earning purchases.
What is your total monthly budget for gas and groceries?
Old May 13, 2019, 8:43 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Originally Posted by RedSun
What is your total monthly budget for gas and groceries?
Not a huge amount, maybe $75-100 a week (typically less than that but am on a cooking kick), but I also spend $50-$200 a week on gas depending on where I need to drive for meetings, and have other expenses. I'm sitting on ~$1500 right now with the $1000 i bought on Saturday. If there's not more than one promotion a month between OD/OM and Staples I can easily spend it down, otherwise I can always fall back to MO if I find I overbought.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:34 am

I have to make a purchase of $2000 for getting the sign up bonus on the chase ink cash. Is there a office store, which sells $500 visa/MC gift cards? I checked my local staples and they only had $200 gift card. $200 is a pain to use and the fee is also very high. My store didn't allow me to get more than 1 visa gift card under the promotion.

thanks
Old May 14, 2019, 6:22 am
Suspended

I thought this was a manufactured spending forum?
Old May 14, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by ankitaroramba
I have to make a purchase of $2000 for getting the sign up bonus on the chase ink cash. Is there a office store, which sells $500 visa/MC gift cards? I checked my local staples and they only had $200 gift card. $200 is a pain to use and the fee is also very high. My store didn't allow me to get more than 1 visa gift card under the promotion.

thanks
When I did my min spend for chase ink, I just bought the VGCs at Walmart for 4.94 for each $500 vgc. Yeah, it doesn't earn the 5x points. But you can earn the 5x later, when staples or od have a promotion which sells vgcs fee-free.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stormpelt
When I did my min spend for chase ink, I just bought the VGCs at Walmart for 4.94 for each $500 vgc. Yeah, it doesn't earn the 5x points. But you can earn the 5x later, when staples or od have a promotion which sells vgcs fee-free.
There are plenty $500 GCs at our WMs, but no one takes CCs for the sales.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
There are plenty $500 GCs at our WMs, but no one takes CCs for the sales.
Huh, I guess YMMV. Have you tried local grocery stores and drug stores? Kroger? Safeway? Rite aid? They should all carry VGCs. At kroger you can do self-checkout with VGCs.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by ankitaroramba

thanks
None of the OD/OM/Staples allow credit card on teh up to $500 variables. They only allow it on the $200's. If it's for MSR then just go to Simon Mall or a grocery store like someone mentioned to get a $500 there. You don't get the 5x, but at least you get the MSR bonus.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by beast7276

I thought this was a manufactured spending forum?
Only replying because I'm kind of crabby this morning...

This is a MS forum, with a thread on VGC at Staples. Many comments on what a PITA $200's are to dispose of so I added commentary. Sorry for ruining your day... if i have time I'll take a picture of the stack of $47500 worth of spent SMGC on my desk if that will somehow make up for my post.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stormpelt
Huh, I guess YMMV. Have you tried local grocery stores and drug stores? Kroger? Safeway? Rite aid? They should all carry VGCs. At kroger you can do self-checkout with VGCs.
Not looking for more places now. There are plenty places to find.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:11 pm

Only replying because I'm kind of crabby this morning
Yes, you are, quite.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat

Yes, you are, quite.
Im better now.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Only replying because I'm kind of crabby this morning...

This is a MS forum, with a thread on VGC at Staples. Many comments on what a PITA $200's are to dispose of so I added commentary. Sorry for ruining your day... if i have time I'll take a picture of the stack of $47500 worth of spent SMGC on my desk if that will somehow make up for my post.
whale alert!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.