Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old May 5, 2019, 1:44 pm

Limit 1 enforced at 2 diff stores here, one store where I was able to buy 5 at once no problem in previous deals. Oh well!
Old May 5, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by alanisrox69
Limit 1 enforced at 2 diff stores here, one store where I was able to buy 5 at once no problem in previous deals. Oh well!
Same here.
However, I have several other sites to try and of course, will try with other cashiers.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:05 pm

I almost bought 4 today in one store, but a manager swooped in and put a a stop to it. She must've been watching the registers from the back office on CCTV.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: none
me too, manager is a stickler and insisted one card per customer for the whole 7 days, so i don't bother even to try if he is around, but i didn't see him today and took 3 to young cashier, he came out from back office and said 1 only, so no more for me at this store for whole week, not worth the trouble for me, lol
Old May 6, 2019, 3:44 pm

Yeah, PITA as my only Staples allowing $2k is miles away. All the others impose 1 VGC limit.
Hopefully OM/OD will step up their game.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:37 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Still $2k limit daily. Good to go with Dosh. Still prefer MCGC since Plastiq is an option....
Old May 7, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
Still $2k limit daily. Good to go with Dosh. Still prefer MCGC since Plastiq is an option....
you get lucky at ur local Staples; all 3 stores within my 30 miles imposed 1 per day since the last offer
Old May 7, 2019, 2:53 pm

Was able to buy 3 no questions today at a store that previously imposed limit 1 on the last deal. ����.♂️

Definitely cashier dependent!
Old May 7, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
My store's policy is 1 per cashier per day. Since there were 2 cashiers working yesterday, I bought 2. Going back tonight for more.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
My store's policy is 1 per cashier per day. Since there were 2 cashiers working yesterday, I bought 2. Going back tonight for more.
If it wasnt a couple of mins drive or I was passing by anyways, no way would I go back to a location that allowed me to get 1 per cashier. And even if either of those 2 options were met I highly doubt Id even stop in. Its 1 thing if all they ahve are 2 available its another limiting me to 1 per cashier and if when I go in theres only 1 cashier that means 1 card

IMO just not worth my time and gas ( could be due to the fact that I used to get bet 100 - 200 cards each promo)
Old May 7, 2019, 4:54 pm

I’m lucky that I have many Staples to choose from, and not all of us can churn 10s of thousands easily (can’t do multiple swipes or obtain multiple MOs per trip). I personally am just racking up points for airline miles. So even one or two cards per store nets me 1000 miles per $200 card and of course the Dosh $5 rebate per day. Since I get free gas from Giant, I don't consider gas costs. Plus the small $5 Dosh moneymaker. This is still a Hot deal for me!
daddyo_daddyo likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by craz
If it wasnt a couple of mins drive or I was passing by anyways, no way would I go back to a location that allowed me to get 1 per cashier. And even if either of those 2 options were met I highly doubt Id even stop in. Its 1 thing if all they ahve are 2 available its another limiting me to 1 per cashier and if when I go in theres only 1 cashier that means 1 card

IMO just not worth my time and gas ( could be due to the fact that I used to get bet 100 - 200 cards each promo)
I walk past this Staples on my way home from work. Today there was only 1 cashier but she called another from the back to ring up the second sale. I'd buy more if I could, but it's not very difficult for me to get 2 per day.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I walk past this Staples on my way home from work. Today there was only 1 cashier but she called another from the back to ring up the second sale. I'd buy more if I could, but it's not very difficult for me to get 2 per day.
lol, 1 per cashier, this is the 1st heard of... this must be store's policy, making up as it goes
Old May 8, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
lol, 1 per cashier, this is the 1st heard of... this must be store's policy, making up as it goes
This has happened to me as well. It makes sense from the cashiers' perspective.
If the manager notices the VGCs are all gone/depleted and goes through the sale records, they don't want to be the cashier on record who sold 2k worth of GCs.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by rct12345
This has happened to me as well. It makes sense from the cashiers' perspective.
If the manager notices the VGCs are all gone/depleted and goes through the sale records, they don't want to be the cashier on record who sold 2k worth of GCs.
No they do, just not during rebate week. The overwhelming majority of the 52 weeks in a year they'd love for you to get $2k worth of gift cards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.