Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
...My Ink card is an actual business card (preferred card) and it has no 5% anything on it. As cards go, it is pretty meh.
AmEx SimplyCash and SC Plus will both earn 5% in Staples/OD/OM.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
My attempt to buy a week ago online from Staples was thwarted by lack of stock. Out of stock and cannot ship. You will be reimbursed for the purchase. So I used the chat feature on Staples.com. The lady said they will be re-stocked but not idea when. I will be watching closely. I just order online and don't take advantage of the deals on VGC's.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler
My attempt to buy a week ago online from Staples was thwarted by lack of stock. Out of stock and cannot ship. You will be reimbursed for the purchase. So I used the chat feature on Staples.com. The lady said they will be re-stocked but not idea when. I will be watching closely. I just order online and don't take advantage of the deals on VGC's.
Color me cynical, but.....
I wonder if they were "out of stock" for the week the cards were on sale

Nah!
They couldn't be that transparent, could they?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:42 pm

was the $5 off VGC advertised in some stores? I picked up 5 cards today and it worked fine, but I didn't see any signage. Was hoping it would continue thru next week? were there advertised dates for it?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by alanisrox69
was the $5 off VGC advertised in some stores? I picked up 5 cards today and it worked fine, but I didn't see any signage. Was hoping it would continue thru next week? were there advertised dates for it?
Sorry, but the dates advertised was 4/7 - 4/13. But Staples and Office Depot run these deals every month or so.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:46 am

Any deals this week? Last weeks deals wasnt advertised in the weekly ad until the week of
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
Sorry, but the dates advertised was 4/7 - 4/13. But Staples and Office Depot run these deals every month or so.
Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:36 pm

All the stores took the signage down because of a miss print. The signage had $5.00 off in big print. Small print said no purchase fees. The 4 stores I went to had signage off by Wednesday. It was just $5.00 off (which is what most people expected) but per the terms it would have been no fees plus $5 off. Still a great deal for tax week.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by zagguru
Any deals this week? Last weeks deals wasnt advertised in the weekly ad until the week of
No, but OD/OM has the best deal in a long time for $15 off $300+. Can make a few bucks if your stores have the ____ Everywhere cards.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Caesar Diamond
Anybody know if the 7% Yelp Cashback for OD also works for GCs or stacks on this?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by ne0ven0m
No, but OD/OM has the best deal in a long time for $15 off $300+. Can make a few bucks if your stores have the ____ Everywhere cards.
unfortunately none in new york
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:33 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by radonc1
. My Ink card is an actual business card (preferred card) and it has no 5% anything on it. As cards go, it is pretty meh.

So my simple choice is to wait for a GC sale that is worthwhile at OD/OM/Staples.
Agreed about the Ink Preferred, I had one for a minute, (just for the 80K SUB ).

Have you considered an INK Cash, (no annual fee, 5X at office supply and telecom, Mobile phone, internet, landline phone, cable TV/sat TV), with a 25K annual cap on the 5X?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler
Thanks for the data point.

300's showed in stock one day last week, ordered ok followed by e-mail 2 days later "Unavailable" and order cancelled.

Like you I don't typically buy in store, (last week being a rare exception for about 10 @ $1.95 fee).

Only about halfway to this year's INK+ cap, and then my INK Cash to follow. Just as soon skip the 200's
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: Chase UR, HHonors, SPG/Marriott, Total Rewards
Dosh showing 3% at staples again.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by flyingsna
Dosh showing 3% at staples again.
Not showing for me
I've also read it's $5 max (hit with a single $200 gc). Nice bonus on top of a gc sale, but not worth it to me without a sale.
FWIW to others, it's in-store only, doesn't work on-line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.