Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:21 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by alanisrox69
2 diff Staples stores for me, no limits, or eyebrows raised. Bought $600 at first, and $800 at second.

converting in MO at WM is a different story tho. Store 1, 3 x $200 no problem. Store 2, asked to split payment, after one swipe, she asked to see next card. Was shut down then and transaction cancelled.
Costs a bit more in gas and time, but I have found 1 MO per GC is better for the long game. I even found a place that autodrains, but the customer service rep I worked with has moved on and new people think I'm laundering money for the cartels... These $200's are good to just keep around for everyday spend IMO though. I'll cash a few K in if I have time and maybe hold onto $1000 to use instead of my Sapphire and 3x FU for a while.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:06 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Costs a bit more in gas and time, but I have found 1 MO per GC is better for the long game. I even found a place that autodrains, but the customer service rep I worked with has moved on and new people think I'm laundering money for the cartels... These $200's are good to just keep around for everyday spend IMO though. I'll cash a few K in if I have time and maybe hold onto $1000 to use instead of my Sapphire and 3x FU for a while.
It is more of the efficiency thing. This is worthwhile if you get CCs that earn higher rewards on office purchases, such as AmEx SCP and Chase Ink. For non-category spending, it is better to buy $500 VGCs online to save all the time and the trouble in liquidating the $200 cards. Also, you do not want to get stuck with 20 of those $200 GCs to spend.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:31 am

Yea, I agree on the individual MOs, gonna do that from now on. I am only getting the $200s since they are fee free and my Chase Ink has 5x on office supply stores.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: All of them
My local store suddenly got a decree from corporate to strictly limit to 1 card per person. This place normally was ok with $2000 per day. Supposedly it's a directive from higher up, so it may mean corporate is keeping closer eye on the promo now and enforcing it. I'm hoping they'll forget by next time, but clearly now this deal is good for first 2-3 days at best.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: Chase UR, HHonors, SPG/Marriott, Total Rewards
Went today & was able to purchase 5 without any problem. This was the first time I've noticed a sign stating "Limit One Per Customer" on the gift card rack, though.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:35 pm

Anyone get the 10% offer to work on an activated Am3x when purchasing gc’s?
is the Applepay work around the only way for it to work?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
My local store suddenly got a decree from corporate to strictly limit to 1 card per person. This place normally was ok with $2000 per day. Supposedly it's a directive from higher up, so it may mean corporate is keeping closer eye on the promo now and enforcing it. I'm hoping they'll forget by next time, but clearly now this deal is good for first 2-3 days at best.
I bought $1200 on Monday, and $800 today, with plenty still left on the rack. I am planning another visit on Friday. This is conclusive proof that even-numbered days are the best bet!!!!!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I bought $1200 on Monday, and $800 today, with plenty still left on the rack. I am planning another visit on Friday. This is conclusive proof that even-numbered days are the best bet!!!!!
Did your store have a giant sign saying "limit 1 per customer" ? Mine did, and the cashier pointed out it's new and they were told by corporate to put it up. They'll eventually get around to every store, but maybe they catch high-volume ones first. Either way, our neck of the woods has so many small scale MSers that cards rarely last more then 3-4 days.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:59 pm

They'll eventually get around to every store.....
I am curious as to your source for this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I am curious as to your source for this.
Cashier told me someone from high up corporate emailed them a memo and instructed to post a big sign of limit one per customer. This store has allowed 2000 for as long as I can remember. Of course that isn't 100% guaranty but it's new development from a place that's been consistent for many years.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cashier told me someone from high up corporate emailed them a memo and instructed to post a big sign of limit one per customer. This store has allowed 2000 for as long as I can remember. Of course that isn't 100% guaranty but it's new development from a place that's been consistent for many years.
This happened today at the local store. On Sunday we were able to buy 2 per person, told by the assistant manager. We did not return until today but the cashier looked at our 2 cards each person with the face expression that prompted me to tell her we were told on Sunday it was 2 cards per person per day (the assistant manager actually was right behind at the customer service counter helping a customer..) Then the cashier yelled over to another woman on the other side - the woman that yelled back about the corporate decree on Monday that it would be strictly one card per person. Then she added, per day.
Cards were picked over though with many packs the strips were torn. Our town is OD town with its HQ less than 10 miles away. Hence there are only 2 Staples still survive and their cards are pretty dismal. Luckily ODs are abundant. The closest OD where I could do 2x 5 transactions on one visit with a visit to next door Aldi in between. Far more efficient so I dont much care for the Staples other than this stacks well with the AMEX offer.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:57 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by RedSun
It is more of the efficiency thing. This is worthwhile if you get CCs that earn higher rewards on office purchases, such as AmEx SCP and Chase Ink. For non-category spending, it is better to buy $500 VGCs online to save all the time and the trouble in liquidating the $200 cards. Also, you do not want to get stuck with 20 of those $200 GCs to spend.
I use Ink for these deals. I like to hold on to a couple grand of these to effectively get 5x on every day purchases as opposed to doing MO's all the time. In Denver there were less scrutinizing places to cash in, but where I live now they seem to think we're all crooks.

Also forgot that these $200's are great for paying taxes if you use a processor that accepts multiple debits.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:41 am

The moronic part of the one per person is that if someone genuinely wanted to buy the $200's at full retail of $206.95 they would not be allowed to during the promo week. I was told by manager it's one per customer and said "no problem, I'll pay the fee on the rest of them" and they said "that's not possible." I said "so you're denying me a sale at full retail price, are your shareholders aware of this practice?" Long pause and reiteration of "one per customer." It was amusing.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:10 am

Senior Moment -- Does using AMX Simply Business card at Staples for GCs get the promised benefit (5%), or does Level 3 reporting get in the way? Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Also forgot that these $200's are great for paying taxes if you use a processor that accepts multiple debits.
Which tax payment processor allows multiple card to be used in a single payment transaction?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.