Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by soy
DoC is reporting $5 off $200VGC next week
When did Staples discontinue the ability to look ahead at next weeks' circular a few days in advance online?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
When did Staples discontinue the ability to look ahead at next weeks' circular a few days in advance online?
I couldn't find next week's circular either. But when I searched this week's circular for "Visa", it showed the upcoming deal of $5 off $200 visa.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:38 pm

I just read that Staples.com no longer allows activation of visa gift cards by talking to a rep. You'll need to do it online/automated phone system using the activation codes they send separately. The story is at An annoying (but probably good) change to Visa gift cards from Staples.com ? The Free-quent Flyer

I'm hoping they still have a way in case you never receive the activation codes, even if it's just to replace the cards.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Go to Staples > Weekly Ad > Shop By Page > See Upcoming Ad

Today is Friday, you can see Sunday's circular.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:13 am
zzm

Does anyone know if using an Amex Card (specifically, an Amex Platinum) with Apple Pay at Staples will obfuscate the "Additional Information" that is typically provided about gift cards?
(Trying to meet min spend on a plat)

Last edited by zzm; Dec 18, 2018 at 3:04 pm Reason: grammar
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Don't think so. Amex sees all level 3 data provided, they wil see that you're buying gift cards.

You'll get basic points but won't be credited anything towards minimum spend.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
You'll get basic points but won't be credited anything towards minimum spend.
oh wow, I thought they were only doing that for purchases at the mall.

Speaking of that, I applied for a different flavor of platinum...got a "sorry we can only approve a certain number of cards within a period of a few months" error. The only other card I have applied for in 2018 was a regular platinum. Applied for a different (non-platinum) card on the same day, and was instantly approved. so their system apparently blocks you from applying for more than one platinum (regardless of "flavor") within a certain period of time.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:50 pm
zzm

Originally Posted by zzm
Does anyone know if using an Amex Card (specifically, an Amex Platinum) with Apple Pay at Staples will obfuscate the "Additional Information" that is typically provided about gift cards?
Confirming that Amex does get all "Additional Information" even when Apple Pay is used.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by zzm
Have no idea about Apple pay. However, I made my minimum spend this year on my plat card with the help (not insignifcant, either) of SMGCs as well as Staples and OD/OM.
They all counted for my minimum yearly spend (but I do have considerable organic spend on it as well).
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:29 am

Staples will be waiving the fees on VGCs next week, beginning Jan. 13, with the usual restrictions.
vbnet likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:28 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Bought 5 today... guess it's not limited to 1 per customer.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Caesar Diamond
All 6 stores by me were limited to 1 per customer. 4 of them even had printed out signs by the cards. It's for sure YMMV
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Bought 5 today... guess it's not limited to 1 per customer.
Nah. If you find the right store, you should be able to buy 10/day, reaching the (iirc) corporate max of $2k gift cards/day.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Not hard coded at the register nor was signage displayed on gift card rack; bought 5 at once today at my local SoCal Staples. Checkout clerk could not have cared less. Will be going back tomorrow.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:42 pm

2 diff Staples stores for me, no limits, or eyebrows raised. Bought $600 at first, and $800 at second.

converting in MO at WM is a different story tho. Store 1, 3 x $200 no problem. Store 2, asked to split payment, after one swipe, she asked to see next card. Was shut down then and transaction cancelled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.