Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
It is not entirely clear to me what happened. I got the 10% AmEx Staples offer on my Biz Gold and I get no AUs on this card.

I get AUs on my Plat and Gold. Sometimes I get same AmEx offers on master card and AU cards. I treat all AU cards as separate cards and used the AU cards. Never any problem.
The problem was that 1 cardholder would use the multitab method to pull up the Staples offer on their SCP, their Plat, their biz Plat, their gold, their bcp, etc. Effectively pulling $500+ of credits. Using the credit 1 time and then your AU'S using the offer on their cards was never an issue.
RedSun likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Hb1500
The problem was that 1 cardholder would use the multitab method to pull up the Staples offer on their SCP, their Plat, their biz Plat, their gold, their bcp, etc. Effectively pulling $500+ of credits. Using the credit 1 time and then your AU'S using the offer on their cards was never an issue.
So the clawbacks occur when a single individual earns 10% back across multiple cards? They are tracking by SSN, regardless of the number of Amex cards held/enrolled?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by gw14
AMEX - Simply Cash Plus

Had some clawback on the 10% Staples Amexoffer, none on the Lowe's
Can you explain the nature of your clawbacks real quick for the benefit of others?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by cashcow
Can you explain the nature of your clawbacks real quick for the benefit of others?
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-...ultiple-cards/

I just got the email as well.. thought I was in the clear since I did not have any AUs.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by canyoncar
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-...ultiple-cards/

I just got the email as well.. thought I was in the clear since I did not have any AUs.
So if you didn't have any AUs, you had the offer on different cards?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
So if you didn't have any AUs, you had the offer on different cards?
Yes correct
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by canyoncar
Yes correct
Amex clawed back on all your cards you used the offers on except 1?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:52 am

Correct. Not sure what the best way is to get the money back yet, guess I'll have to read up on others' experiences
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:24 am

The weekly ad shows fee-free $200 Visa cards, starting Sunday.
dealOCD likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Caesar Diamond
Anybody have a DP on how much spend on GCs for Chase Ink Plus (5X) you can rack up a month before its flagged on the Chase side?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by cashcow
So the clawbacks occur when a single individual earns 10% back across multiple cards? They are tracking by SSN, regardless of the number of Amex cards held/enrolled?
Yes, that seems to be what they are doing.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by lavidaesbella
Anybody have a DP on how much spend on GCs for Chase Ink Plus (5X) you can rack up a month before its flagged on the Chase side?
I have only been flagged on my first purchase and never again (on each card). I have done 3 $1,800 purchases in one day. I have only done maybe 3 visits in a week, so just over 16k in a week. I do max out 2 ink cards each year on bonus categories with no issue. Just got a third one this year. I do have a lot of spend (100+k) on non ink cards, maybe that helps but don't know.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I have multiple AU with individual SS# on one business account. Do the "revised" T&C say one rebate per business account or can I get away with one rebate per individual SS# AU under the same account?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:58 am

Any DP if the limit of 1 per transaction for the last promotion is enforced?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by touristtrap
Any DP if the limit of 1 per transaction for the last promotion is enforced?
Not at the 3 I hit thus far

You could have simply walked up with x and watch the screen like a hawk like I did and once the 2nd went thru w/o a fee just keep doing them. If a fee hit then since it wasnt activated yet I believe you could simply ask them to remove the 2nd one and return the rest back to the shelf. the last time they ran this and I didnt jump ASAP many locations were bone dry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.