Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:05 am

Stay AWAY from Staples MCGC. They are very diffiult, risky and dangereous. And the fewer peolpe that buy them, the more that are available for me.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:02 pm

What chaser said... My staples has full racks and I go twice a day.... but I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do it, way too much risk.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:17 pm

the mail order mcgc were a fiasco, thats why i'm asking.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by chaser123
Stay AWAY from Staples MCGC. They are very diffiult, risky and dangereous. And the fewer peolpe that buy them, the more that are available for me.
Originally Posted by Melanion90
What chaser said... My staples has full racks and I go twice a day.... but I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do it, way too much risk.
Yes yes yes! Avoid these. Very bad!

Many more for me to buy and dump same day at WM.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:00 pm

Can anyone comment on why online VGC orders are being canceled?

I successfully placed an order on 10/24/18 with (2) $200 and (2) $300 and received those cards in the mail. I've tried to place (2) subsequent orders that were promptly canceled. My wife (separate Staples account and credit card) also tried to place an order and was canceled. What gives?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:34 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by cashcow

I successfully placed an order on 10/24/18 with (2) $200 and (2) $300 and received those cards in the mail. I've tried to place (2) subsequent orders that were promptly canceled. My wife (separate Staples account and credit card) also tried to place an order and was canceled. What gives?
Call Staples and ask.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

All my online orders using SCP have been cancelled for awhile. Call Staples and they said something about AMEX running an offer and I could order with a different card. Online orders using Ink works just fine.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by gw14
All my online orders using SCP have been cancelled for awhile. Call Staples and they said something about AMEX running an offer and I could order with a different card. Online orders using Ink works just fine.
Does SCP = Simply Cash Preferred?

I'm trying to use Amex as well (which does include the 10% back AmexOffer), so this is useful data. Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:49 am

Does SCP = Simply Cash Preferred?

I'm trying to use Amex as well (which does include the 10% back AmexOffer), so this is useful data. Does anyone else have a similar experience?
AMEX - Simply Cash Plus

Had some clawback on the 10% Staples Amexoffer, none on the Lowe's
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:56 am

Was the clawback on miltiple AUs or separate cards?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:35 am
Suspended

I got all $100. But did not play the AU game.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:29 pm

Another warning of USB MCGC at Staples. I bought multiples in a store last Sat and the cards all looked normal and activated successfully. Went to the Walmart and tried four and none worked. Went home and called. The first customer service wouldn't tell me anything, just told me he can activate two cards for me in one phone call and then I had to call back again to activate other cards two at a time. The second customer service told me the cards were not activated because they had been "scanned" before being purchased and she can submit a ticket to activate two cards for me.

Those cards can't be checked for balance or activation status (in their words, scanned) unless someone knows the 3 digit security code. This incident affirmed my long time suspicion that USB's system was compromised in some way after reading all those horror stories. I picked those pink ones and thought they were newer than the black and gold ones and must have lower chance of being compromised. But I was wrong. I checked those cards. They had sequential serial numbers and sequential account numbers. (There were two cards that were not in the sequence and actually had balance and were activated successfully at Staples.) You can deduce all of them from one card. But the security codes were obviously random or by some algorithm and the only way they were leaked would be that the system was compromised. Another possibility is the cards were read by some card reader. I doubt this will happen in my region and the meta cards never had this problem.

Last edited by jack101; Nov 2, 2018 at 6:55 pm
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Adirondacker
Was the clawback on miltiple AUs or separate cards?
Multiple AUs.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:00 am

I didn't experience clawbacks on SCP where each of my AUs with unique social made the max purchase and got the credit on each.

I think only those with multiple AUs with individuals that created separate accts to get credit on each got the clawback.
Adirondacker likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I didn't experience clawbacks on SCP where each of my AUs with unique social made the max purchase and got the credit on each.

I think only those with multiple AUs with individuals that created separate accts to get credit on each got the clawback.
It is not entirely clear to me what happened. I got the 10% AmEx Staples offer on my Biz Gold and I get no AUs on this card.

I get AUs on my Plat and Gold. Sometimes I get same AmEx offers on master card and AU cards. I treat all AU cards as separate cards and used the AU cards. Never any problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.