Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:44 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by ChuckMango
Amex running a promo of ten off on business cards. Not sure if vgc will trigger tho.
Any GC promotions going on? There were some MC and VGC promotions before.

The AmEx offer shows up in one of my two biz CCs. It is card dependent. Not that folks signed up and used all the slots.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:52 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by lumangoy
You purchased on Monday?
finally came through... sweet deal
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; American Airlines Platinum; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold
Do you think Amex may claw back for using the offer to buy Visa giftcards? I know they may not like that...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by LocoBigH
Do you think Amex may claw back for using the offer to buy Visa giftcards? I know they may not like that...
No, this offer's T&C does not mention VGC's. Claw backs are possible when you received a benefit to which you're not entitled (i.e. in error or violation of T&C).
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody has ordered the $300 VGCs recently? How are your experiences in receiving the actual gift cards?

Last time I ordered this was in March 2017 so almost 16 months ago. I remember most of the time both the activation code and the physical GCs arrive either the same day or a day apart, and often the cards arrived earlier than the codes, I dont remember there are more than 2 days apart between the arrival of cards and the codes.

Unfortunately this time it has been 3 days after the codes arrive the physical cards remain no show.

I placed an order on June 6th. Got "Order is Shipped" email on the morning of June 9th. Charges for each single card showed up on SPG Biz the same date. I am surprised to see they showed up this way instead of the total of the order. 10% rebate AMEX Offer Credit posted 2 days later.

The sad reality is, the activation codes mail arrived on June 12th, but as of today June 14th the physical cards still have not arrived yet. Given they can be activated over the phone by providing information readily found on the sheet the GC is mailed with, I dont feel particular comfortable not having the physical GCs in hand when the activation codes have come 3 days early. So I called GCM to check on the shipment status.
GCM rep said the cards were sent on June 8th. Of course the earliest time they could do something about it would be June 22nd, 10 business days from the date of shipment in their system.
Seems like I have no choice but keep calling everyday to make sure the GCs remain intact, i.e. full balances and remain Inactive until they finally arrive or June 22nd, whichever the earlier. SIGH.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:50 pm

Ordered 3x$300 at the end of May 2018. IIRC, the cards and the activation codes came the same day. Hope your cards show up soon.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
Ordered 3x$300 at the end of May 2018. IIRC, the cards and the activation codes came the same day. Hope your cards show up soon.
That has been how it normally is when things work correctly.

I just looked back the records in Mar 2017 - they all came very quickly, like the next day after receiving the shipped email, and both the cards and codes arrived on the same day..
I have a bad feeling that these 3 cards either are never sent out or caught in the mailing somewhere as looking back the records between 2016 and 2017, never have similar incident.
sonicsmash214 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:58 pm
soy

Programs: various
Last time I ordered in feb, all arrived together which made me wonder why bother sending separately
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I never get the codes and cards the same day, usually get the cards first. I call and activate over the phone, they're live a few hours later.

The codes show up the next day or so.

My mailman knows they're "special" and makes sure to put them in my mailbox. I give him a $25 McDonald's gift card between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update

Physical cards arrives today, some 5 days after the activation codes mail arrived.
Cards look like being put on the sheets haphazardly. The plastic sticky thing came off the paper and stuck on the card. It took forever to peel the plastic thing off, but it still left some gluey substance on the card. Very annoying. Luckily it is on the white area and not affects the magnetic strip.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:21 am

Amex Simply Cash -- Only 1% Rewards?

Amex Simply Cash and Smply Cash Plus. I am well aware of previous false alarms regarding the elimination of 5% at office supply stores, but what I am now seeing is concerning. As recently as a transaction posted on June 6, the new version Amex account activity preview was displaying 5% Rewards for my Staples Online transactions. But beginning with transactions posted on June 11, it is displaying 1% Rewards. Anyone else seeing the same?

Notes:

1. The normal pattern in the new version account activity preview for Staples (and also for Office Max/Depo): for a few days after posting, the display will not have any indication of Rewards, i.e., no Rewards box at all. After a few days, the Rewards box will appear and indicate 5% Rewards with the exact amount earned. In my experience, I have not noticed a period of time when 1% Rewards is indicated, and then later it changes to 5%, but maybe I've missed that and all is well. Has anyone ever noticed such a change?

2. Staples charges are listed as separate charges for each item purchased (Level 3). What's curious is that even my non-VGC charges from June 11 are displaying as only 1% Rewards. Gives me hope.

3. The June 11 and later charges displaying as 1% Rewards are on two different cards -- one Simply Cash, the other Simply Cash Plus. These are online transactions.

Last edited by Matthew53; Jun 17, 2018 at 7:40 am
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:11 am

According to their website, the Plus card is still giving 5% for office supply stores.
Fine print says 5% for the first $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%. Have you hit $50,000 already?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
According to their website, the Plus card is still giving 5% for office supply stores.
Fine print says 5% for the first $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%. Have you hit $50,000 already?
No, I have not hit $50,000.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:03 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
That has been how it normally is when things work correctly.

I just looked back the records in Mar 2017 - they all came very quickly, like the next day after receiving the shipped email, and both the cards and codes arrived on the same day..
I have a bad feeling that these 3 cards either are never sent out or caught in the mailing somewhere as looking back the records between 2016 and 2017, never have similar incident.
I had the opposite problem with the codes not arriving, i was able to get them activated via phone and then codes arrived one week after the cards!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDO
I had the opposite problem with the codes not arriving, i was able to get them activated via phone and then codes arrived one week after the cards!
Yours is NOT a problem at all because you have received the physical cards. Do you realize that because it is extremely easy to activate over the phone, whether you receive the codes or not, it does not matter! However if you have the codes but not the cards - you would be concerned if the cards are "lost" in the mail... See the difference (and the risk) ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.