Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
It costs you more than $1.10 to liquidate $400?
Nah man, I was just making a joke. $15 or $20 rebate doesn't matter to me -- it offsets the VGC cost and I'm still making great profit.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by calmasahinducow
I never received the $20 VGC from the last go around after the shipment notification. Been about 3 weeks now. Contacted support and they said keep waiting (lol).

Anyone been through this before?
Just got the late May one today (submitted May 21st, got delivery notice mail May 31st). I'm glad they advised to just wait wait wait as if they knew there was some delay this time. As commented here, activation is now needed.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Just got the late May one today (submitted May 21st, got delivery notice mail May 31st). I'm glad they advised to just wait wait wait as if they knew there was some delay this time. As commented here, activation is now needed.
Same here, my last May Round 1 came in yesterday, after all of my May Round 2's came in. I've never had one not arrive, but one of my addresses takes twice as long as all the others for some reason.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:38 pm

DP: The $20 rebate card works for PIN-based transactions at Walmart despite the fact that the info document attached to it says you have to process the card as Credit instead of Debit.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by calmasahinducow
I never received the $20 VGC from the last go around after the shipment notification. Been about 3 weeks now. Contacted support and they said keep waiting (lol).

Anyone been through this before?
I entered wrong address last time (mixed my home and business address) and after calling 866-923-0052 provided tracking number and rep fixed it and I received replacement card in 6-7 business days.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by jmlinden7
DP: The $20 rebate card works for PIN-based transactions at Walmart despite the fact that the info document attached to it says you have to process the card as Credit instead of Debit.
I am just curious as to what difference it makes? Is this an autodrain situation in that if it runs as debit it will autodrain at places with self check out?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:29 am

Just bought 2/ $200 VGC from Staples for the rebate and attempted to redeem for MO at Walmart (selected debit) and the machine said "cannot complete transaction as debit." Is there any other way to liquidate these or should I try a different location?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:46 pm

Which bank(s) issue the staples visa giftcards? It has been awhile since I've bought some and I don't have one in my city.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I am just curious as to what difference it makes? Is this an autodrain situation in that if it runs as debit it will autodrain at places with self check out?
You can't use it as a debit card without a PIN. Money order, for example, can only be purchased with cards run a debit.

My general experience is that autodrain only works when cards are run as credit.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by carrie042882
Just bought 2/ $200 VGC from Staples for the rebate and attempted to redeem for MO at Walmart (selected debit) and the machine said "cannot complete transaction as debit." Is there any other way to liquidate these or should I try a different location?
What did you find in the Walmart thread?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by sechs
You can't use it as a debit card without a PIN. Money order, for example, can only be purchased with cards run a debit.

My general experience is that autodrain only works when cards are run as credit.
CVS, Lowes, S&S, and Staples all autodrain for me with PIN debt prepaids.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:24 pm

Oh now I see, people are taking all of their $20 rebate cards and buying a MO? You would have to have extraordinary relationships at MO places to go up there and swipe 5 times for $20 each for a $100 MO. Not even close to being worth the risk for me, I keep it to two swipes and have been good since Bluebird shutdown over a year ago. I immediately apply the Staples $20 (soon to be $15) to my residential water bill as they come in and get them off my plate.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:33 pm

What did you find in the Walmart thread?
They mentioned that I should either tell them upfront that I will pay the difference in cash or buy the MO for 199.30. I'm also wondering if I should try to combine the 2 cards into 1 MO or do them separately. Does it matter?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:09 pm

I bought 2x $200 VGC at Staples about an hour ago and just tried registering for the $15/$300 VGC rebate. Step 1 (before entering my info) of the process says--
Your eligible rebates are still being determined

Continue to Step 2 and fill out your information so we can notify you when your rebates are ready.
I tried going through the process and everything else is the same, but it never indicates what the rebate is. I did this exact deal yesterday with a different email/address and it went through as normal, showing $15/300. Has anybody ever encountered this? I usually don't get around to registering for the rebate until about 1 week after purchase; is it because the system needs more time to register the rebate ID?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I bought 2x $200 VGC at Staples about an hour ago and just tried registering for the $15/$300 VGC rebate. Step 1 (before entering my info) of the process says--

I tried going through the process and everything else is the same, but it never indicates what the rebate is. I did this exact deal yesterday with a different email/address and it went through as normal, showing $15/300. Has anybody ever encountered this? I usually don't get around to registering for the rebate until about 1 week after purchase; is it because the system needs more time to register the rebate ID?
A) Don't worry you'll get your rebate.

B) It takes like 4 hours from the time of purchase for the promo to get initialized or whatever the computer geeks call it. So if you try to submit the rebate prior to that you may see the weird messages.

C) Also I think there is some sort of IP tracker or whatever the computer geeks call it. If you submit several rebates back-to-back, you'll notice that some of them "are still being determined". As long as you're submitting legit info, it'll work out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.