Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I chalk those up to "out of the ordinary request that normal customers don't ask for," in the spirit of nwflyboy's post. For a $3-4 gift card, can't you just drain it when you're buying groceries? At the grocery store, they actually know how to drain small denomination gift cards and it's not an odd request. With the volume of grocery stores and cashiers available at grocery stores, you can do this and nobody will bat an eye. Compare that to your one or two nearby Staples stores, with one or two managers and limited number of cashiers, to whom you most likely already stand out. I don't like to do anything that calls MORE attention to my transactions.
+1^

Just use the Staples gift card to buy a package of pens, some scotch tape, or (better yet) a box of actual staples(!). Don't get too cute with your transactions. Blend in.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I chalk those up to "out of the ordinary request that normal customers don't ask for," in the spirit of nwflyboy's post. For a $3-4 gift card, can't you just drain it when you're buying groceries?
Fair enough. But to your question, no I can't, because as I said it's a Staples GC. Regular Visa GCs I just auto drain small balances at the grocery store, or Costco works well too.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Yes, you have got it right. You should be able to buy a single MO for $399.30 at WM.

Down the road, get a Chase Ink card so you can earn 5X points at office supply stores.

.....and welcome to Flyertalk!
Correction (Mr. Caffeine, where were you?)
It might be good to point out that the new Ink cards do not have a bonus for spending in office supply stores. Ignore my previous blabbing and thanks for not hammering me.

Last edited by rxgeek; May 19, 2017 at 3:09 pm Reason: Fact corrections
Old May 19, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Fair enough. But to your question, no I can't, because as I said it's a Staples GC. Regular Visa GCs I just auto drain small balances at the grocery store, or Costco works well too.
I believe you can unload them on Amazon by adding to your gift card balance?

Last edited by rxgeek; May 19, 2017 at 5:56 am
Old May 19, 2017, 5:46 am
soy

Programs: various
The 1c paper rebate deal is on again next week. Check the T+C but all rebates over a certain amount come back as visa GC. So buy using the Staples GC + other to get over the threshold, and in few weeks you will get a VGC.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Really good advice there.

In addition to the "learning experience" you should be aware that everything that adds any "friction" to liquidating (split payments, multiple transactions, grouchy clerks, long lines, etc. - anything that does not look and feel 100% ordinary, typical of most customers, and legit) not only increases the chances you might be turned down, but also increases the chance that it might lead to greater scrutiny -> manager intervention -> even more scrutiny -> more "training" of cashiers to closely carefully monitor MO sales and stick to more strict store policies -> burning that particular store for everyone permanently.

There are countless stories here of MSers going in with an arrogant, entitled attitude and big stack of gift cards, there's pushback, the idiot with the stack of cards makes a stink and pushes it, things escalate, and from then on that store won't cooperate at all for any MS for anyone. It's really easy to inadvertently kill all MS at any store, permanently - sadly, it happens all the time.

Always remember this is fragile, and the more friction you add, the more odd your request seems, the greater the risk that you will kill that location going forward - for you and for everyone else. Keep in mind that you're trying to 'get away with something' and act like it, rather than acting like you've got some god-given, constitutional right to pull this off. Tread lightly, and don't be that guy who wrecks it for everyone.
Thanks for that response, and to Mamibear as well :-:

I will definitely keep that in mind. I'm not one who likes to make a scene, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:02 am

krazykanuck, Oops, I missed that. Better get some morning coffee before posting again.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:10 am

there are reports that Staples has recently hardcoded GC to GC conversion. The last time I was able to pay with StGCs was Monday, this week. I paid for a VGC combined with a small item and swiped a $25 StapGC first and the rest with Ink+. I have no more StGCs to use this Sunday so I can't find out if it's hardcoded at my go-to store.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by soy
The 1c paper rebate deal is on again next week. Check the T+C but all rebates over a certain amount come back as visa GC. So buy using the Staples GC + other to get over the threshold, and in few weeks you will get a VGC.
Thanks for the heads up. That'll work, I need to come up with a use for my penny paper since I don't own a printer at home.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:43 am
soy

Programs: various
Thanks for the heads up. That'll work, I need to come up with a use for my penny paper since I don't own a printer at home.
Theres always some local school/non-profit that would be grateful for free paper ^
Old May 19, 2017, 8:45 am

For the last VGC rebate deal, I've submitted two rebates. Both status shows "Validation complete". Does it mean all processing is done or should I wait till I see "shipped" status?
Old May 19, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by rxgeek
It might be good to point out that the points you get on new Ink cards are not UR points, but they are worth 5% cash back. If you value UR points at 2+ cents each, the benefit is half what it used to be. Current cardholders net about $15 in value for a couple $200 Visas and new ones get only $7.50. Some might not find it worth the time.
Both of the Ink cards currently offered by Chase (the Ink Business Preferred and the Ink Business Cash cards) provide Ultimate Rewards points, redeemable for travel, gift cards, etc.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...FVKPfgodPckIJA
Old May 19, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Time to learn about reselling....
Old May 19, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Both of the Ink cards currently offered by Chase (the Ink Business Preferred and the Ink Business Cash cards) provide Ultimate Rewards points, redeemable for travel, gift cards, etc.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...FVKPfgodPckIJA
And, for the record, one has to have a premium UR card (i.e., one with an annual fee) for the best redemption options.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Correction (Mr. Caffeine, where were you?)
It might be good to point out that the new Ink cards do not have a bonus for spending in office supply stores. Ignore my previous blabbing and thanks for not hammering me.
You are going to need something considerably stronger than caffeine to get all of this misinformation straightened out. The Ink Business Cash card does indeed offer 5X bonus points for office supply store purchases.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; May 19, 2017 at 10:00 pm Reason: removed credit card link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.