Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Mancolt
Wow, that makes much more sense.

Can the SGC be used on VGC purchases? Or does that vary by store? Do you know if it will be instant, or mail in?
Staples runs two different types of promos depending if it is a Mastercard or Visa promo. When it is a Mastercard promo, the rebate is a $20 Staples GC which cannot be used to buy 3rd party GCs. However when it is a Visa promo, the rebate is a $20 rebate Visa GC which can be used to help pay for VGC purchases.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
what is the safe limit for staples ? / how much you guys have bought max per month ?

2k per transaction and 10k per day
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
what is the safe limit for staples ? / how much you guys have bought max per month ?
Bought 4X$200 MCGC for the current promo, two of them already have charges for Buildabear workshop, effing USB!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:10 pm

You have to liquidate USB cards right after you purchase them. Tons of reports of people holding overnight and having charges.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:01 am

Starting this Sunday, $20 VGC rebate off $300 VGC.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
You have to liquidate USB cards right after you purchase them. Tons of reports of people holding overnight and having charges.
Just found out I am a victim too. What are the course of actions to get the money back? Called CSR - very complicated faxing/dispute process. You would think USB could have tried to make this easier because it's not customer's fault.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by redarmy
Just found out I am a victim too. What are the course of actions to get the money back? Called CSR - very complicated faxing/dispute process. You would think USB could have tried to make this easier because it's not customer's fault.
(facepalm)

Why on earth would you call Chase?

There are plenty of good reasons why you should NOT call them:
1. They may conclude you have been violating the terms of your CC agreement, close all your accounts, claw back your points, and blacklist you - and they would be both correct in their conclusion and entirely justified in doing so. You're basically calling them and waving a red flag saying "nyah nyah, come and get me!". Don't be surprised if they do.
2. This brings yet more Chase eyeballs scrutinizing purchases at office supply stores. Everyone with an Ink card thanks you for that, Einstein.
3. Most of all, this is an abuse of the "dispute" process. You went to a store and you bought something. By disputing the charges, you are in effect saying "they didn't sell me what I tried to buy". Wrong - they most certainly did. You bought gift cards, they sold you gift cards. End of Chase's part in the transaction. Your dispute is not with Chase (at least until they decide to fire you as a customer). Your dispute is with the bank that issued the gift card that had fraudulent charges on it. You deal with them, not Chase.

MS has risks. This is one of them (getting all your Chase accounts closed is another).

If you can't afford to float the money, you should find another hobby.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Why would you assume redarmy did?
Old May 4, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
(facepalm)

There are plenty of good reasons why you should NOT call them:
1. They may conclude you have been violating the terms of your CC agreement, close all your accounts, claw back your points, and blacklist you - and they would be both correct in their conclusion and entirely justified in doing so. You're basically calling them and waving a red flag saying "nyah nyah, come and get me!". Don't be surprised if they do.
2. This brings yet more Chase eyeballs scrutinizing purchases at office supply stores. Everyone with an Ink card thanks you for that, Einstein.
3. Most of all, this is an abuse of the "dispute" process. You went to a store and you bought something. By disputing the charges, you are in effect saying "they didn't sell me what I tried to buy". Wrong - they most certainly did. You bought gift cards, they sold you gift cards. End of Chase's part in the transaction. Your dispute is not with Chase (at least until they decide to fire you as a customer). Your dispute is with the bank that issued the gift card that had fraudulent charges on it. You deal with them, not Chase.

MS has risks. This is one of them (getting all your Chase accounts closed is another).

If you can't afford to float the money, you should find another hobby.
Sorry, I didn't call Chase. I called Customer Service Rep of USB.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by redarmy
Sorry, I didn't call Chase. I called Customer Service Rep of USB.
Ah, OK, that makes more sense. I figured you meant "CSR" = Chase Sapphire Reserve. Apologies for leaping to conclusion. Play on...
Old May 6, 2017, 1:26 pm

Only Amex definitely get's level 3 data for staples right? Thinking if I should get some cards this week with my SPG and BRG to meet MSR but worried about eyes on my account..

maybe if I just do one or two transactions at $3-400 each
Old May 6, 2017, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by eclipsor
Only Amex definitely get's level 3 data for staples right? Thinking if I should get some cards this week with my SPG and BRG to meet MSR but worried about eyes on my account..

maybe if I just do one or two transactions at $3-400 each
MSing at staples is only really worth it IMO if you have a 5x card. There are lower fee methods elsewhere.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:14 pm

If I buy 4x $200 VGC in one transaction does the register print two rebates or would I have to do two transactions?
Old May 6, 2017, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Spiral1
If I buy 4x $200 VGC in one transaction does the register print two rebates or would I have to do two transactions?
Two transactions.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Two transactions.
And if he actually wants to get the two rebates, he's going to need different contact info for the two submissions....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.