Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by vbnet
Trying something new (for me) and posting for people who are newer than myself. I received 2 of the last $20 rebates by sending one to work. Today order a vgc and pencils online was able to put both rebate cards in on the order. Marked order as pickup in store. Pencils will be ready by tomorrow (ha, prob. today), vgc in 2 weeks. Since I'm small time potatoes, I thought I'd give it a try. I'll post back if it causes a problem. It might prove a lot of convenience for small time dabblers.
Ended up ready for pickup after exactly 1 week.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:01 pm
soy

Programs: various
DoC had a post today about staples class action. In the comments section there are posters who say the new owners have killed the penny paper deal, which would devalue the Staples gc flavor of vgc rebate. Been a good few months since we seen penny paper so maybe true?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:44 am

staples killed all rebates, not just the penny paper deal, and not a rumor. Go check out stapleseasyrebates.com, the last rebate ended 2-3-18
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:41 am

Well, guess I'm going to have to cash out my staples rebate gift cards. Luckily, California law requires retailers to redeem store gift cards that have less than $10 in remaining balance in cash. A lot of clerks don't know this or know how to do it, but there's a brochure on the state website.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
staples killed all rebates, not just the penny paper deal, and not a rumor. Go check out stapleseasyrebates.com, the last rebate ended 2-3-18
Rats. Looks like my first Staples rebate will be my last one
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy platinum
Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Just verified that yesterday. New owners killed easy rebates.RIP Now he said everything will be on sale instead. Wonder what value we'll get out of that???
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Ugh. I bought a $100 Staples GC (not VGC) in December to take advantage of a 3k MR offer with AMEX. I had been planning to use it on the crazy paper deals, but that's done now.

Any suggestions how to liquidate this thing? I'd use it for business supplies, but the pricing on staples.com is pretty bad. I have an account with Staples Advantage that gives me significantly better pricing. Though naturally, I can't use a Staples GC on Staples Advantage.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
Ugh. I bought a $100 Staples GC (not VGC) in December to take advantage of a 3k MR offer with AMEX. I had been planning to use it on the crazy paper deals, but that's done now.

Any suggestions how to liquidate this thing? I'd use it for business supplies, but the pricing on staples.com is pretty bad. I have an account with Staples Advantage that gives me significantly better pricing. Though naturally, I can't use a Staples GC on Staples Advantage.
Staples is done with rebates so you'll have to buy stuff

Staples price matches -- find stuff on sale that you want to buy at other retailers and have Staples PM

GC doesn't expire so you can hold it -- eventually Staples will have something on sale that you'll want to buy

Sell it if its not worth the hassle -- check the value on Gift Card Granny
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Jatan
Staples price matches -- find stuff on sale that you want to buy at other retailers and have Staples PM
Does that mean they will PM the current Office Max/Depot Debit MC sale?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles

Does that mean they will PM the current Office Max/Depot Debit MC sale?
No

https://www.staples.com/sbd/content/...s.html#10003_9
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:05 pm

$200 MasterCard, no purchase fee. 4/22-4/28

Since this is MC, not Visa, be extra aware of fraud. Limit 1 per customer.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah

I wonder if this is available on staples.com as well
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah

Add to that the inconvinience of cancel/change payment technique when draining them at WM to buy MOs/load to prepaids.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by Mamibear
Add to that the inconvinience of cancel/change payment technique when draining them at WM to buy MOs/load to prepaids.
none of the WMs in my area seem to have the option to use the cancel/change payment technique immediately after swiping anymore.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by devastitis

none of the WMs in my area seem to have the option to use the cancel/change payment technique immediately after swiping anymore.
even if you swipe before they enter amount?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.