Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017-2019)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 14, 19, 10:30 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: rxgeek
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank. The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

The max VGCs sold at Staples.com are $300. No $500 cards. With its $8.95 or 3% card fee, it is only good if there is promotion (or rebate).

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back

Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $6.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV

Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 1, 17, 4:56 pm
  #196  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: EWN/OAJ/RDU/ILM (Formerly BTV)
Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Posts: 353
Originally Posted by infa007 View Post
Unfortunately, the cashier blocked the transaction stating that a gift card cannot be used to buy another gift card. I just said Thanks and walked away -- is this typical or I just ran into bad luck
I think their corporate rule is no buying GCs with GCs. But, IME, this is not hard-coded. I have used Staples GCs ($15-20 apiece) for partial-payment for VGCs, and I have also been told this is not allowed. Since there is no PIN to enter when using a staples GC for payment, it is pretty clear to the cashier what is happening, but the computer doesn't necessarily stop it and the cashier may or may not stop it.

I would then differentiate using a GC to buy VGC vs. using a VGC (like a 5b or whatever) to buy a VGC. In this sort of transaction you have a PIN to enter so it is more legit like buying with a debit card. But, your name isn't on it. Again I think the transaction can go through the computer just fine, but the cashiers may not like it if they realize you have a "debit" card that has the words "gift card" scrawled on it somewhere.

So, basically it is YMMV.
perkunas is offline  
Old Apr 2, 17, 7:26 pm
  #197  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Thanks for the explanation. I am very new to all this and was a bit surprised - I need to find other cashiers to try it out with. For now, I ordered online and would see if I can do the next step of MO at WM.
infa007 is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 9:21 am
  #198  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 524
Congrats everyone. Orders using 5% Simon GC just started to be cancelled or stopped delivery by Staples. They say GC can't be bought with GV and pending charges are being reversed.
Yes you killed that one too.
cashcyclone is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 9:38 am
  #199  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by cashcyclone View Post
Congrats everyone. Orders using 5% Simon GC just started to be cancelled or stopped delivery by Staples. They say GC can't be bought with GV and pending charges are being reversed.
Yes you killed that one too.
Care to explain? Your orders were cancelled ? You called in?
bar19900 is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 9:50 am
  #200  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 524
Online order that was placed 2 days ago and was still pending was just cancelled via email. Last week order wasn't. Looks like policy for prepaid cards for gift card orders has just changed.
cashcyclone is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 1:08 pm
  #201  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 260
Originally Posted by cashcyclone View Post
Congrats everyone. Orders using 5% Simon GC just started to be cancelled or stopped delivery by Staples. They say GC can't be bought with GV and pending charges are being reversed.
Yes you killed that one too.
eh give yourself more credit. this was a team effort.
jjangoo is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 1:20 pm
  #202  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by cashcyclone View Post
Online order that was placed 2 days ago and was still pending was just cancelled via email. Last week order wasn't. Looks like policy for prepaid cards for gift card orders has just changed.
interesting that you're the only DP of this so far. I've had ones cancelled in the past randomly, but all was well moving forward. Proof that they cancelled specifically due to use of prepaid card?
bar19900 is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 1:26 pm
  #203  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 97
I just ordered some last night and my order has not been cancelled. As has been reported in this thread, they had some problems reflecting the correct balances on the Simon's FBs resulting from purchases of Staples VGCs, so maybe this is somehow related to that and not a wholesale ban of the use of Simon's FBs.
kciflyer is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 1:47 pm
  #204  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 524
Originally Posted by bar19900 View Post
interesting that you're the only DP of this so far. I've had ones cancelled in the past randomly, but all was well moving forward. Proof that they cancelled specifically due to use of prepaid card?
I called to find out why. She put me on hold to investigate and came back and said it is because I used prepaid gift card. Let's hope they do this randomly. Those orders are pending for few days and she said she would stop the delivery if it the order was shipped. So they have plenty of time to randomly cancel orders for that particular reason. It was never the case in the past. Usually it was stock issue not a form of payment to cause cancellation.
cashcyclone is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 1:59 pm
  #205  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 260
Originally Posted by cashcyclone View Post
I called to find out why. She put me on hold to investigate and came back and said it is because I used prepaid gift card. Let's hope they do this randomly. Those orders are pending for few days and she said she would stop the delivery if it the order was shipped. So they have plenty of time to randomly cancel orders for that particular reason. It was never the case in the past. Usually it was stock issue not a form of payment to cause cancellation.
why did you feel the need to call? i get order cancellations all the time...
jjangoo is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 11:21 pm
  #206  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Programs: All the programs!
Posts: 920
Originally Posted by jjangoo View Post
why did you feel the need to call? i get order cancellations all the time...
Exactly. Don't call. cashcyclone, you have yourself to blame for this situation and the repercussions.
oopl is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 4:45 pm
  #207  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Pin Numbers

I've bought many gift cards from physical Staples stores but only recently made my first purchase online. I bought 6 of the $300 Visa cards and they arrived in the mail today. Inside it says the activation codes were mailed to the purchaser which I haven't received yet. I wasn't expecting to receive the cards nearly this quick as I bought them Saturday 4/01 and it said to expect delivery Monday 4/17. Is it normal to to receive the actual gift cards before the activation codes? Thanks for any insight!
DJC1975 is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 5:15 pm
  #208  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 704
Originally Posted by DJC1975 View Post
I've bought many gift cards from physical Staples stores but only recently made my first purchase online. I bought 6 of the $300 Visa cards and they arrived in the mail today. Inside it says the activation codes were mailed to the purchaser which I haven't received yet. I wasn't expecting to receive the cards nearly this quick as I bought them Saturday 4/01 and it said to expect delivery Monday 4/17. Is it normal to to receive the actual gift cards before the activation codes? Thanks for any insight!
Yup, now you can either wait for the activation codes or make a quick call and activate them over the phone.
Java Cool Dude is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 11:23 pm
  #209  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 260
Had an eye on the site since 11 PM and the cards are still out of stock.
jjangoo is offline  
Old Apr 7, 17, 9:21 am
  #210  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 238
Buying $300 cards is becoming kind of a unicorn Last 2 days in a row after 12AM est still out of stock online!
njdealguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread