Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by infa007
Unfortunately, the cashier blocked the transaction stating that a gift card cannot be used to buy another gift card. I just said Thanks and walked away -- is this typical or I just ran into bad luck
I think their corporate rule is no buying GCs with GCs. But, IME, this is not hard-coded. I have used Staples GCs ($15-20 apiece) for partial-payment for VGCs, and I have also been told this is not allowed. Since there is no PIN to enter when using a staples GC for payment, it is pretty clear to the cashier what is happening, but the computer doesn't necessarily stop it and the cashier may or may not stop it.

I would then differentiate using a GC to buy VGC vs. using a VGC (like a 5b or whatever) to buy a VGC. In this sort of transaction you have a PIN to enter so it is more legit like buying with a debit card. But, your name isn't on it. Again I think the transaction can go through the computer just fine, but the cashiers may not like it if they realize you have a "debit" card that has the words "gift card" scrawled on it somewhere.

So, basically it is YMMV.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:26 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I am very new to all this and was a bit surprised - I need to find other cashiers to try it out with. For now, I ordered online and would see if I can do the next step of MO at WM.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:21 am

Congrats everyone. Orders using 5% Simon GC just started to be cancelled or stopped delivery by Staples. They say GC can't be bought with GV and pending charges are being reversed.
Yes you killed that one too.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
Congrats everyone. Orders using 5% Simon GC just started to be cancelled or stopped delivery by Staples. They say GC can't be bought with GV and pending charges are being reversed.
Care to explain? Your orders were cancelled ? You called in?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:50 am

Online order that was placed 2 days ago and was still pending was just cancelled via email. Last week order wasn't. Looks like policy for prepaid cards for gift card orders has just changed.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:08 pm

eh give yourself more credit. this was a team effort.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:20 pm

Online order that was placed 2 days ago and was still pending was just cancelled via email. Last week order wasn't. Looks like policy for prepaid cards for gift card orders has just changed.
interesting that you're the only DP of this so far. I've had ones cancelled in the past randomly, but all was well moving forward. Proof that they cancelled specifically due to use of prepaid card?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:26 pm

I just ordered some last night and my order has not been cancelled. As has been reported in this thread, they had some problems reflecting the correct balances on the Simon's FBs resulting from purchases of Staples VGCs, so maybe this is somehow related to that and not a wholesale ban of the use of Simon's FBs.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by bar19900
interesting that you're the only DP of this so far. I've had ones cancelled in the past randomly, but all was well moving forward. Proof that they cancelled specifically due to use of prepaid card?
I called to find out why. She put me on hold to investigate and came back and said it is because I used prepaid gift card. Let's hope they do this randomly. Those orders are pending for few days and she said she would stop the delivery if it the order was shipped. So they have plenty of time to randomly cancel orders for that particular reason. It was never the case in the past. Usually it was stock issue not a form of payment to cause cancellation.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:59 pm

I called to find out why. She put me on hold to investigate and came back and said it is because I used prepaid gift card. Let's hope they do this randomly. Those orders are pending for few days and she said she would stop the delivery if it the order was shipped. So they have plenty of time to randomly cancel orders for that particular reason. It was never the case in the past. Usually it was stock issue not a form of payment to cause cancellation.
why did you feel the need to call? i get order cancellations all the time...
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by jjangoo
why did you feel the need to call? i get order cancellations all the time...
Exactly. Don't call. cashcyclone, you have yourself to blame for this situation and the repercussions.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:45 pm

Pin Numbers

I've bought many gift cards from physical Staples stores but only recently made my first purchase online. I bought 6 of the $300 Visa cards and they arrived in the mail today. Inside it says the activation codes were mailed to the purchaser which I haven't received yet. I wasn't expecting to receive the cards nearly this quick as I bought them Saturday 4/01 and it said to expect delivery Monday 4/17. Is it normal to to receive the actual gift cards before the activation codes? Thanks for any insight!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by DJC1975
I've bought many gift cards from physical Staples stores but only recently made my first purchase online. I bought 6 of the $300 Visa cards and they arrived in the mail today. Inside it says the activation codes were mailed to the purchaser which I haven't received yet. I wasn't expecting to receive the cards nearly this quick as I bought them Saturday 4/01 and it said to expect delivery Monday 4/17. Is it normal to to receive the actual gift cards before the activation codes? Thanks for any insight!
Yup, now you can either wait for the activation codes or make a quick call and activate them over the phone.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:23 pm

Had an eye on the site since 11 PM and the cards are still out of stock.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:21 am

Buying $300 cards is becoming kind of a unicorn Last 2 days in a row after 12AM est still out of stock online!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.